10K run question

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I've been running 10K for my long distance runs (yes, I consider 10K long distance, because I refuse to do cardio for more than an hour; it's all about them gainz). I used to join those monthly 10K fun runs, and my average time till last year was sub 1 hour (55-58 minutes). This year, I've been clocking in beyond an hour at the finish line. I notice that I usually slow down at the 7K mark. I've tried various training programs online, or even on Nike+ coach. I just couldn't break the 1 hour barrier anymore for 10K. I'm not sure if age is starting to show (I'm 37), or lack of sleep since I just became a dad.

To give a better illustration, my last sub 1 hour 10K run was back in March, became a dad in May, and started running again in June. My last 2 10K runs were both 1 hour and 8 minutes. Back then, I'd stop running for 2 months, come back, and would still clock in sub 1 hour at the finish line. Is it normal to slow down overnight?

Last edited:
So you used to be able to stop running for 2 months, and somewhat maintain your sub 1hr 10K time?

Now, you've taken 1 month off and put on about 10 minutes.

So you used to be able to stop running for 2 months, and somewhat maintain your sub 1hr 10K time?

Now, you've taken 1 month off and put on about 10 minutes.

That is correct. I was wondering if I aged overnight? Or something else?

Being a new dad can be pretty draining, especially if you aren't getting the sleep that you were used to. I'd have to go dig through old notebooks, but I'm pretty sure all my lifting numbers took a hit when my daughter was born, and recovery was a lot slower.

I guess you could say that. But there's likely much more to it than that.
I have three kids. It can be tough to get in quality training with any consistency. I would find training for a 10K very tough with young children since it requires being out of the house for extended periods of time.

Many changes on the following:

Sleep
Weight
Diet
Other training

I've been running 10K for my long distance runs (yes, I consider 10K long distance, because I refuse to do cardio for more than an hour; it's all about them gainz). I used to join those monthly 10K fun runs, and my average time till last year was sub 1 hour (55-58 minutes). This year, I've been clocking in beyond an hour at the finish line. I notice that I usually slow down at the 7K mark. I've tried various training programs online, or even on Nike+ coach. I just couldn't break the 1 hour barrier anymore for 10K. I'm not sure if age is starting to show (I'm 37), or lack of sleep since I just became a dad.

To give a better illustration, my last sub 1 hour 10K run was back in March, became a dad in May, and started running again in June. My last 2 10K runs were both 1 hour and 8 minutes. Back then, I'd stop running for 2 months, come back, and would still clock in sub 1 hour at the finish line. Is it normal to slow down overnight?
Having a newborn will do that to you.

It's just tougher after that. Cause you've got less recovery time and more responsibility on your plate.

Yea, might have to pick between 10k times and your baby.

Get those times back, man!

well, I guess there's my answer: fatherhood weakens legs :D

when i get accustomed to it, i'll get back in shape in no time.

update: so i ran a 10k earlier, and my time was 1 hour 5 minutes. still more than an hour, but less than my previous run this year. hopefully i'll be heading the right direction and get back to sub 1 hour before the end of the year.

gotta admit, this has become my pattern for the last 3 runs since i became a dad:

ran the first 2 miles, walk for a minute, run the next mile, walk for 2 minutes, run half a mile, walk again for 2 minutes, then take turns running and walking for half a mile each.

Happened to me when my kid was born. Recovered after he started sleeping through the night. No big deal. Sleep is very important for energy.

Back