1080p 60fps or 4k 30fps?

What the hell is going on in this thread. I thought it was about which we preffered when we had to choose between 60fps @ 1080 or 30 fps @ 4k
It's almost as if someone who intended to ask, "Are the PS4Pro/Scorpio Worth the Upgrade for Better Graphics?" would have simply asked that.

It's so funny when people who aren't skilled with language try to back off their words after the fact, thinking they can cling to explicit absences, while oblivious to everything that can be deduced from that they've already revealed.

It's almost as if someone who intended to ask, "Are the PS4Pro/Scorpio Worth the Upgrade for Better Graphics?" would have simply asked that.

It's so funny when people who aren't skilled with language try to back off their words after the fact, thinking they can cling to explicit absences, while oblivious to everything that can be deduced from that they've already revealed.
Funny thing here too, in some of the PS4 Pro games they ask you exactly that when you start the game, whether you want more fps or better graphics.

Funny thing here too, in some of the PS4 Pro games they ask you exactly that when you start the game, whether you want more fps or better graphics.
Yeah, that's the final vague aspect of the OP. It wasn't clear whether this was a simple "Settings" question.

No, you weren't aware. Try to wiggle out, but it's an evident implication drawn from your thread title itself, and reinforced by the first sentence in your incredibly vague OP:

How exactly am I misreading that?

You clearly oppose 1080p 60fps vs. 4K 30fps in the thread title as the decision of consequence, and then in your first sentence claim that (for "marketing purposes") Sony & Microsoft didn't rightaway make 60fps "the standard", but chose 30fps for that starting point. By itself, this original sentence in the OP might not have implied anything explicit, but referring back to the immediately preceding thread title, it's clear that you're positioning the original gen of PS4/XB1 hardware as a 1080p 60fps standard vs. this new 4K generation that lacks that as a standard.

Someone here is disingenuous and flustered. It isn't me.

Ohh now you're still making shit up...

For marketing purpose, Sony and Microsoft has went the 4K route without first making 60fps the standard. How much of a deal is that to you? Which do you prefer?

I've haven't seen 4K yet so I have no opinion.

"Without first making 60fps the standard." Now how the fuck does that mean that I thought that last gen could do 1080p at 60fps when I said it still wasn't the standard?? Nice try buddy!

Oh so now "It's clear" what I was saying in the OP?? <45>
Well that goes completely against what you originally said before when you said that "It wasn't clear at all." Which one is it now?

You're creating false arguments here because ironically it's you who's been flustered over me telling derp derp PC dork to fuck off and not make this about PC vs Console once again. It was a simple fucking question which most people were able to answer so there's more evidence against you're dumb ass argument.

And you're a fucking Mod? Pathetic.

So did I.

Then the TS went Platform Nazi and told the rest of us this thread was about Consoles.

It's 100% true. Size matters.

Even with dicks and trucks.

Really now? I said this wasn't a PC vs console thread, stop making shit up. I asked a simple question about preference if they had to choose and you're defending this garbage reply..

Get a PC if you want better hardware. These incremental improvements consoles keep making are just dangling the carrot and people keep buying it.

Considering that the Scorpio may be giving the option of 4K/30fps and 1080/60fps, this will be a subject for the next few years and this garbage reply doesn't answer my question.

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's the final vague aspect of the OP. It wasn't clear whether this was a simple "Settings" question.

That's why so many people answered the OP no problem, because it "wasn't clear."

Lol keep the bullshit coming .

Whatever is more stable. Can't stand constant frame drops.

But if I had to choose I'd pick 1080p 60 FPS.

The projector is the Sony HW45ES. Its costs an arm and a leg but its one of the only projectors that has a dedicated game mode with latency as low as TVs.
Yowzer... 2k is a bit much lol

Do you have much experience with good projectors? Not trying to derail, just thought I would ask since you seem to have experience with them..

Yowzer... 2k is a bit much lol

Do you have much experience with good projectors? Not trying to derail, just thought I would ask since you seem to have experience with them..

I actually do not have much experience unfortunately. I was a longtime plasma panel guy since last year. The only reason I have a setup like this is because the previous owner of my townhouse did the heavy lifting and ran the video and audio cords through the shelving and drywall ceiling and installed the rear surround speakers inside the ceiling like a boss. So all I had to do was mount my larger screen and projector.

I overspent on the Sony because its brand new and has extremely low latency for gaming. Epson makes some really nice projectors in the $1000-1600 range that would be excellent for tv and film and probably pretty good for gaming as well.

The other brand to look for is Panasonic. Now, they can get pretty pricey but if you know anything about Panasonic and their old plasma panels its that Panasonic has the best black levels bar none. The same extends to their projectors so if you are used to plasma or OLED blacks, look no farther.

That said, if you want to go big, you should go big. Besides, $2000 is just when the projectors start to get good. And shit, a 4k projector will run you a whopping 10 grand! Lol

Now this is a projector. :)

Last edited:
I like to tweak until I get 1 billion fps, preferably on 1 million k.

1080 60 fps all day er day.

For marketing purpose, Sony and Microsoft has went the 4K route without first making 60fps the standard. How much of a deal is that to you? Which do you prefer?

I've haven't seen 4K yet so I have no opinion.
I disagree with your contention because there are plenty of games with reliable 60 fps, but there are ZERO games with native 4k resolution, although games can be upscaled to 4k if you have a PS4 Pro. We're not going to have native 4k in games until the NEXT generation cycle, whenever that is. I'd say we're a good 3-5 years from that, so...

I'd say for almost all action-adventure games, you'd prefer 60 fps. If it's a quicktime game or a click-and-point game, then 4k would probably be preferred.

I disagree with your contention because there are plenty of games with reliable 60 fps, but there are ZERO games with native 4k resolution, although games can be upscaled to 4k if you have a PS4 Pro. We're not going to have native 4k in games until the NEXT generation cycle, whenever that is. I'd say we're a good 3-5 years from that, so...

I'd say for almost all action-adventure games, you'd prefer 60 fps. If it's a quicktime game or a click-and-point game, then 4k would probably be preferred.
Yep. Major point for PS4 Pro users.

That was mentioned about Forza Horizon for the Scorpio, though. First thing I checked, so like m52Nickerson, I was quite impressed that it was running the game at 4K, natively:
Tweaktown said:
Turn 10 ported Forza's engine to Microsoft's 'monster' 4K ready Project Scorpio console in just two days time. Two days. That's pretty insane on its own. But what's even more unprecedented is the engine just worked...it worked just fine after only two days of porting. "Not only did it work, but it was fast. Brutally fast. Without the benefit of any platform-specific optimization."

In order to stress test the engine on early Project Scorpio hardware to see its limits, Turn 10 created a specific demo that matches Forza 6's performance on Xbox One to use on Project Scorpio, and jammed as many cars as possible in a specific level. Within the stress test conditions the game ran at 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution at 60FPS at only 66% GPU usage. UPDATE: Leadbetter confirms that Project Scorpio can hit native 4K 60FPS at Xbox One's "High" graphical preset with "substantial overhead" with 66% of the GPU used, and 4K 60FPS Ultra.

"I've seen Microsoft's new console running a Forza Motorsport 6-level experience locked to 4K60 on the equivalent to PC's ultra settings - cranking up the quality presets to obscene levels was one of the first things developer Turn 10 did when confronted with the sheer amount of headroom it had left after a straight Xbox One port," Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter said during the exclusive Scorpio reveal.

"Performance is remarkable. We saw a Forza Motorsport demo running on the machine at native 4K and Xbox One equivalent settings, and it hit 60 frames per second with a substantial performance overhead."
It is hilarious, though. You really do have to carefully read pre-hype material. The green part is true. The red part is not. They juxtapose the two because console readers will see "matches PC Ultra settings", get excited, and not pay attention to the fact that PC Ultra settings are quite explicitly NOT what they used when they ran it at 4K native on the Scorpio.

Back