100 weeks to Pro MMA debut

I am learning ground fighting and takedown defense to avoid the ground. Fooking panic wrestlers.

Been fighting MMA since 2006, no striking only matches, only 2 grappling tournys. Big mistake IMO, that both grapplers and strikers make when entering MMA. I'll learn grappling to avoid the ground, I'll learn boxing so I can survive long enough to get the fight to the ground.

It's a limited rules fight, there isn't just a chance that the fight will go to the ground, and you'll train to avoid that. With your experience, the fight WILL turn into a grappling confrontation, and most likely the fight will be on the ground at some point in every round.

Best to use grappling to enhance your striking abilities. Think to learn wrestling to help set up your striking, not to avoid the ground. Shoot a standing double or standing ankle pick to off balance your opponent then abandon the takedown and follow up with strikes.

Don't go to grappling classes to just learn how to avoid submissions, to really learn how to avoid them you have to know how to apply them. If you don't know how they work, how can you defend against them?

Two years is enough time to become a proficient grappler if you apply yourself. Just take it seriously, try to become a mat beast, so you can be dangerous when the fight inevitably hits the ground, otherwise you're going to spend the whole fight trying to avoid the ground, instead of trying to finish off your opponent wherever the fight goes.

this is a pretty sick drill that you should try running

also, we have trolls with paid accounts now? When did that become a thing.

Good luck, man! I always was on the verge of my trying my luck in MMA, but hadnt yet... I'll be looking forward to your journey

Good luck frode. Be sure to use a mortal kombat finish

Video of first week coming tomorrow guys.

<5>

That was a cool fight. I've never seen a low kick K.O. before.

I'm interested in MMA myself, though I've only got boxing experience at the moment. I started my jiu jitsu journey in March. It's definitely hard on the body and toughening me up in a new way. I'll enjoy watching your progress in your videos...

That was a cool fight. I've never seen a low kick K.O. before.

I'm interested in MMA myself, though I've only got boxing experience at the moment. I started my jiu jitsu journey in March. It's definitely hard on the body and toughening me up in a new way. I'll enjoy watching your progress in your videos...
if you think bjj is hard on the body just wait till you do wrestling against the cage tbh bjj gets easier on your body the better you get you tend to use much less strength and u can slow the pace down in the gi

@Frode Falch
I learned today that we have a 52 year old fighter making his pro debut in June. I've seen him training like a dog, didn't realize he was doing a mma fight. His opponent is 23 years old.

Thats some motivation for you. if he can do it, you definitely can.

Thanks. Thats badass.

I need a new Lap top to edit my videos.

I am training hard. And i have filmed alot of stuff.

Work from your guard, don't be afraid to stand, and work MMA related
2 year you could get a nice offensive guard, but if you try to do everything, you risk having nothing. Realistically with your skill set you should be looking to win on the feet. With that in mind you should only really be on the mat when you've been taken down or knocked him down.
If your dangerous on your back and you can sweep or submit, you become a Donald Cerrone problem. Stand and get hit, take him down and get tapped. Another option is to work on disengaging like Bisping. He doesn't look to sweep or submit, he works to make space and stand, negative BJJ.
If you working offensively and you've knocked him down, your going to be looking at standing passes rather than trying to pass low or starting from combat base. When you train BJJ, work on disengaging and standing passes.
Assess what will work in MMA and what won't. I like 10 finger guillotines, the gloves are too big to make it effective in MMA. Spider guard, no grips. Deep half, get your face punched in. There are guys in MMA that can do that shit, but not with 2 years grappling.
And have fun!!!!

Work from your guard, don't be afraid to stand, and work MMA related
2 year you could get a nice offensive guard, but if you try to do everything, you risk having nothing. Realistically with your skill set you should be looking to win on the feet. With that in mind you should only really be on the mat when you've been taken down or knocked him down.
If your dangerous on your back and you can sweep or submit, you become a Donald Cerrone problem. Stand and get hit, take him down and get tapped. Another option is to work on disengaging like Bisping. He doesn't look to sweep or submit, he works to make space and stand, negative BJJ.
If you working offensively and you've knocked him down, your going to be looking at standing passes rather than trying to pass low or starting from combat base. When you train BJJ, work on disengaging and standing passes.
Assess what will work in MMA and what won't. I like 10 finger guillotines, the gloves are too big to make it effective in MMA. Spider guard, no grips. Deep half, get your face punched in. There are guys in MMA that can do that shit, but not with 2 years grappling.
And have fun!!!!

Y'know it's interesting - because I completely agree with this, yet when I started sambo it's the opposite to the direction I took.

I wouldn't say I'm a great grappler but I ended up working tons on top game - just because I felt more comfortable, and I started using my muay thai on the feet, and then when I'd worked my opponent to the corner, or into the clinch, I'd drop in on the legs, or go for an osoto-gari and then start working top game with crucifix holds - knee on neck ride (if I'm sparring with my old school mate who's cool with it and does is back) etc.

It MIGHT be because as a muay thai practitioner - I tended to gravitate towards punching and clinch work, and my kicks are pretty shit. Just thought it was an interesting anecdote.

I feel the best MMA kickers are better on their back then on takedown defense.

And the best punchers have better takedown defense, but is not that good on their back.

Is this fair to say?

And the best punchers have better takedown defense, but is not that good on their back.

Is this fair to say?

I think it's a trend I've noticed too. Say someone like Donald Cerrone is good off his back, so is Condit etc. whereas I'd say even though he has great Muay Thai for MMA, Matt Browne is better on top. I think for me because I liked the clinch anyway, getting to top position went hand in hand with my style - although I get taken down ALL the time.

good luck mate!

keep posting videos on you channel

Y'know it's interesting - because I completely agree with this, yet when I started sambo it's the opposite to the direction I took.

I wouldn't say I'm a great grappler but I ended up working tons on top game - just because I felt more comfortable, and I started using my muay thai on the feet, and then when I'd worked my opponent to the corner, or into the clinch, I'd drop in on the legs, or go for an osoto-gari and then start working top game with crucifix holds - knee on neck ride (if I'm sparring with my old school mate who's cool with it and does is back) etc.

It MIGHT be because as a muay thai practitioner - I tended to gravitate towards punching and clinch work, and my kicks are pretty shit. Just thought it was an interesting anecdote.
I know what you mean, some people just have that natural wrestler in them. It tends to be younger more athletic guys. I've also seen guys that can incorporate their clinch game into their wrestling. My clinch game was more about unbalancing and knees though so I couldn't work it in as well. "Thai style" trips, arm drags, and even knee taps seem to work well. Greco roman wrestling is the closest, so I steal what I can from there.

Is this fair to say?
I think it's probably more to do with attrition, in that if you kick a lot your more likely to get taken down, and if your not good off you back....
Another thing I meant to mention, it maybe pick a guy you like me build ground game from there. I liked Marcelo Garcia, so I started with butterfly guard, arm drags etc, then I Moved over to leg locks like Eddie Cummings, see how they transition between things tether than trying to cram everything in to fit

Aq2LihN.jpg

Update:

Training goes well. I have done too little grappling and takedown defense. So i need to focus more on that part. I have ordered a new laptop so i can edit and upload the videos. One each week.

Weight is at 74 kg right now. I feel great. And my money weapon (right leg) feels sharp and on point.

Need to work on my right cross. Because that punch is slow and ugly.

To be continued.

Fuck me that bicep is bigger than I expected. :|

Back