10 years ago - UFC 91: Lesnar beat Couture

By learning a big lesson in the first fight with Mir, who was getting smashed up until the desperate sumission, Lesner with no significant training in MMA, Lesner beat Couture in a good fight, and then smoked Mir in dominant fashion. The salad days of the great Brock Lesner.

The most underrated thing in Mir-2 fight was Brock's BJJ.
The pounding of Mir's face while locking his defending hand behind the head was a thing of beauty.

Brock was very talented and learned a lot in MMA. He had decent stats for a standup, lethal GnP and he learned a lot in grappling as well.
I can say "pity that he wasted time on WWE" - but I can understand his career trajectory.
He build himself to become one of the most requested and talked about personas in both real and fake fighting

The most underrated thing in Mir-2 fight was Brock's BJJ.
The pounding of Mir's face while locking his defending hand behind the head was a thing of beauty.

Brock was very talented and learned a lot in MMA. He had decent stats for a standup, lethal GnP and he learned a lot in grappling as well.
I can say "pity that he wasted time on WWE" - but I can understand his career trajectory.
He build himself to become one of the most requested and talked about personas in both real and fake fighting
The fame and money wasn't in the sport back when Brock his name.

Hell he was the first dude getting those huge pay checks wasn't he?

The fame and money wasn't in the sport back when Brock his name.

Hell he was the first dude getting those huge pay checks wasn't he?

Yeah probably. Well it was worth it for UFC.
Brought a lot of new fans, new viewers...better ratings.

Idk,

I'm on Daley's side on this one.

And on punching Koscheck after the bell.

Classless move but...very understandable when you consider how kos behaves.
And anyway it was a very very light shot.
Never understood all the drama about that.
There was way worse in the UFC with fewer consequences.

Classless move but...very understandable when you consider how kos behaves.

Has it been face to face, it would've been understandable.
But after the fight, to come from behind, to touch him like you wanna talk to him, and then punch?

It's unrelated to behavior of Kos

And anyway it was a very very light shot.

No, it actually wasn't a light shot AT ALL. Rewatch it pls

Never understood all the drama about that.
There was way worse in the UFC with fewer consequences.

Back then it was clearly the worst thing that happened inside of octagon.

Times are changing of course...and not to the goid side...

10 years ago HW was trash

Fast forward 10 years....its trash

I was always impressed how Randy, despite the size difference managed to manhandle Brock in the clinch at times during the fight....Randy was rolling pretty well early on in the 2nd round, until he lost the clinch and the 2 separated.

I wasn't surprised Randy lost.....I was more surprised at later on how easily Big Nog was able to out strike/control the fight against Randy, nearly pulling off a sub as well. That was really Big Nog's last great performance.

10 years ago HW was trash

Fast forward 10 years....its trash

10 years ago it was MUCH better.

Besides Cormier and Stipe, everyone is discredited.

Maybe Blaydes provides the future, but I don't want to.
I look at prime Lesnar and then look ar Blaydes....oooph.

10 years ago it was MUCH better.

Besides Cormier and Stipe, everyone is discredited.

Maybe Blaydes provides the future, but I don't want to.
I look at prime Lesnar and then look ar Blaydes....oooph.
If you look at the whole mma scene ,fuck HW was great, the UFC division was shit except a couple guys at the top same as now, except the other Pride guys that ran the HW scene are now old UFC guys...

<{MindBrown}>

Damn decade ago already time flies so fast.

I want to be nostalgic for this one, but let's be honest about what it was: A mostly forgotten pre-USADA fight between two science experiments with mediocre championship legacies.

I was watching at Reno golden nugget pretty sure it was Labor Day right? The bbq cookout

I want to be nostalgic for this one, but let's be honest about what it was: A mostly forgotten pre-USADA fight between two science experiments with mediocre championship legacies.

1. I doubt Lesnar fights are going to be forgotten anytime soon.
2. I doubt USADA changed the landscape THAT much

One of my criteria for determining a fighter's future success is how they react the first time they see their own blood.

When Penn first got cut against GSP, I knew his reaction would determine his future.

Seeing Brock ignore it was a good sign. Unfortunately, he never spent enough time sparring.

It is fun remembering this fight. It was almost as exciting as Brock - Carwin.

In each fight, his jiu-jitsu improved, but his standup did not seem to progress as fast.

In my humble opinion.

One of my criteria for determining a fighter's future success is how they react the first time they see their own blood.

When Penn first got cut against GSP, I knew his reaction would determine his future.

Seeing Brock ignore it was a good sign. Unfortunately, he never spent enough time sparring.

It is fun remembering this fight. It was almost as exciting as Brock - Carwin.

In each fight, his jiu-jitsu improved, but his standup did not seem to progress as fast.

In my humble opinion.

Yeah, you're right. But Mark Hunt didn't knock him out in the 2nd round (which Brock lost) and that is a good sign already.
Plys he gave Overeem a busted lip before the knee into diverticulitis.

I think the reason his standup did not improve to the needed level is because his takedowns never based on setting up with strikes...

Yeah, you're right. But Mark Hunt didn't knock him out in the 2nd round (which Brock lost) and that is a good sign already.
Plys he gave Overeem a busted lip before the knee into diverticulitis.

I think the reason his standup did not improve to the needed level is because his takedowns never based on setting up with strikes...
Yeah, that seems valid. And he did seem to have good power even though his technique was not.

Back