1 Year Later: Top Liberal Economist Explains Why Hillary Lost The Election

Craigslist

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Is he actually pretending that the media was on Trump’s side?

Twitter was all over it!

The night of the 2016 Presidential Election, the Nobel Prize recipient Paul Krugman made the following prediction when asked about the stock market.

It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.
http://canadafreepress.com/article/...ps-election-has-the-markets-plunging-and-they

Given Paul Krugman's dismal track record, Is he:
1.) Right this time
2.) Wrong!
3.) Wrong! and his Nobel Prize of Economics should be taken away.

"Paul Krugman is an American economist who is currently Distinguished Professor of Economics at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, and a columnist for The New York Times. Krugman considers himself a modern Liberal, referring to his books, his blog on The New York Times, and his 2007 book The Conscience of a Liberal."

Last edited:
There was a shit load of negative coverage in regards to Hillary. I believe there was more against Trump but what do you expect when you go on Twitter and Tweet like a 12 year old.

lol at Paul Krugman. This guy's guys been wrong about almost everything for like 30 straight years. That prediction that the internet would crap out by 2005 and have no greater impact on the economy than the fax machine, and that immediately following Trump's election, the stock market would crash and never recover are just 2 of his gems, and now he's rambling about the media's anti-Hillary bias a year after the election.

Last edited:
Lol. Your "liberals" are really having a hard time with this one, hey?
It's like mentioning Trump or Clinton just switches off their abilities to logically process thoughts.

Just another 'economist' that's a leftist propagandist.

Just another 'economist' that's a leftist propagandist.

Must be pretty nice to assess views on someone based on tweets/reactions and edited videos, rather than trying to understand their ideas.

Must be pretty nice to assess views on someone based on tweets/reactions and edited videos, rather than trying to understand their ideas.

Must be pretty nice to assess complete ignorance of a person based on someone's singular post.

I'm well acquinted with Paul Krugman by multiple hour-long lectures and interviews that have been posted on Youtube, and he's been a high-ranking member of Obama's economic team and was on Hillary's campaign and was going to be on her economic team.

In short, there's never been a tax-break he didn't hate, government spending on a bullshit program he didn't love, a federal deficit he wasn't comfortable with, and there's never been a conservative economic plan he didn't despise.

It'd be far more accurate to call him a Keynesian Economist, rather than an Economist.

lol @ "top liberal economist"

Within the American dichotomy, every notable economist is categorically "liberal" by virtue of the GOP having absolutely no coherent economic philosophy other than "give money to rich people and create long-term debt." Seriously, the GOP is still pushing supply side and trickle down, which have been universally rejected by modern economists.

EDIT: Also, Krugman is a shameless surrogate for Clinton and, really, lost more credibility during the 2016 election cycle than any person in the intellectual community. Worse yet, he has been completely unwilling to own his past mistakes, especially regarding trade policy.

Also, he's a prick.

In short, there's never been a tax-break he didn't hate, government spending on a bullshit program he didn't love, a federal deficit he wasn't comfortable with, and there's never been a conservative economic plan he didn't despise.

It'd be far more accurate to call him a Keynesian Economist, rather than an Economist.

I think you underestimate Krug's intellectual flexibility. He has a track record second to none when it comes to changing his mind on policy depending on whether a democrat is in office...

I totally believed the first half of your post (that you are "acquinted" with Krugman) until this follow-up completely disqualified the possibility that you understand him at all.

I don't like Krugman and have often stated as much, but you very clearly are ignorant to his positions if you think either of the first two assertions are true. Krugman, like any Keynesian/economist, realizes the utility of tax breaks as symbiotic with, not diametrical to, the utility of tax increases.

Furthermore, like most Keynesian/modern economists, he generally opposes (at least with the modern distribution of wealth/purchasing power in the United States) any significant tax increases on the lower and lower-middle classes, as demand is still lagging behind supply in the modern economy, due mostly to the robbing of the middle class 1980-2008.

Yeah, just about every modern economist is a "Keynesian Economist" to some varying, but undoubtedly significant, degree. Keynes rang a bell that cannot be un-rung. Just like every economist is a Smithian. It's fundamental to the discipline ever since it dominated economic development throughout the world during the middle 50 years of the 20th century.

I think you underestimate Krug's intellectual flexibility. He has a track record second to none when it comes to changing his mind on policy depending on whether a democrat is in office...

Huh? How so?

I do agree that his praise of Bill Clinton has often been white-washed and selective, but when has he praised Clinton/Obama for something he opposed under Bush? There literally wasn't anything to praise about GWB's economic policy, nor a whole lot of overlap between it and those of the surrounding Democratic presidencies.

Huh? How so?

I do agree that his praise of Bill Clinton has often been white-washed and selective, but when has he praised Clinton/Obama for something he opposed under Bush? There literally wasn't anything to praise about GWB's economic policy, nor a whole lot of overlap between it and those of the surrounding Democratic presidencies.

Here you go. There are a number of studies/surveys with varying degrees of formality that draw the same conclusion...

https://econjwatch.org/file_download/430/BarkleyMay2010.pdf?mimetype=pdf

A bit of sincere advice as well, I think your posts could be a lot better if you avoided the globalizations in your language (not sure if they are actually a part of your thinking or just an affect for emphasis). Meaning words like everything, anything, and nothing hurt your points because the world just isn't that black and white.

Here you go. There are a number of studies/surveys with varying degrees of formality that draw the same conclusion...

https://econjwatch.org/file_download/430/BarkleyMay2010.pdf?mimetype=pdf

Care to summarize?

A bit of sincere advice as well, I think your posts could be a lot better if you avoided the globalizations in your language (not sure if they are actually a part of your thinking or just an affect for emphasis).

"Globalizations"?

Was that a typo, or is there a meaning for that word that I do not know?

Meaning words like everything, anything, and nothing hurt your points because the world just isn't that black and white.

GWB didn't have coherent or effectual economic policy. That really is a pretty black-and-white issue. This isn't some statement in retrospect: the nation's top economists and the CBO consistently opposed his senseless budgeting throughout the 2000s.

I don't even dislike Bush all that much and think by 2017 GOP standards he had some meritorious ideas, such as those involving defined contribution plans, but his macroecoomic policy was lousy.

I totally believed the first half of your post (that you are "acquinted" with Krugman) until this follow-up completely disqualified the possibility that you understand him at all.

I don't like Krugman and have often stated as much, but you very clearly are ignorant to his positions if you think either of the first two assertions are true. Krugman, like any Keynesian/economist, realizes the utility of tax breaks as symbiotic with, not diametrical to, the utility of tax increases.

Furthermore, like most Keynesian/modern economists, he generally opposes (at least with the modern distribution of wealth/purchasing power in the United States) any significant tax increases on the lower and lower-middle classes, as demand is still lagging behind supply in the modern economy, due mostly to the robbing of the middle class 1980-2008.

Yeah, just about every modern economist is a "Keynesian Economist" to some varying, but undoubtedly significant, degree. Keynes rang a bell that cannot be un-rung. Just like every economist is a Smithian. It's fundamental to the discipline ever since it dominated economic development throughout the world during the middle 50 years of the 20th century.

You haven't really argued against the portion of my post you quoted.

So, what tax-break he not hate, government spending on a bullshit program he objected to, a federal deficit he spoke out against, and what conservative economic plan was he absolutely in love with?

We both agree he's a Keynesian economist, but I'm saying his fucking blood type is Keynesian. Its the only economics he preaches, and everything that isn't Keynesian will '...harm the economy. Women and minorities hardest hit.'

You haven't really argued against the portion of my post you quoted.

I thought you could read the subtext.

So, what tax-break he not hate

Sales tax reduction, international trade tax reductions, income tax breaks for the middle and lower classes.

government spending on a bullshit program he objected to, a federal deficit he spoke out against

I mean, there are a lot.

Single payer healthcare and the Iraq War seem like two huge expenditures he's on the record opposing.

and what conservative economic plan was he absolutely in love with?

Krugman has spoken highly of Eisenhower's conservative economics, as have most economists. But that was back when their was a note of economic competency and political/distributional integrity in the conservative platform.

I will restate my earlier point: NO economists favor what currently passes for "conservative economic plans" because they are completely without practical merit at the federal level. Paul Ryan and Scott Walker either (a) just don't know anything about economics but really believe in their expert-panned theses (this is the position that persons like Jack V Savage take) or (b) realize the expert consensus, realize that their plan will not help the economy or improve the lives of ordinary people and know it will only favor the rich and cause severe long-term problems, but have sold out to their benefactors.

You know what lost Hilary the election, and gave it to Trump? Hilary knew Trump had nothing. She probably knew she had very little, but still, more to offer than Trump. Instead, she decided to not actually discuss how she was going to tangibly improve the lives of Americans. She chose to play the shit talking game, with a troll.

This is why Hilary lost, and why she is an idiot. The fuck did she think would happen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back