“You’re not a true champion unless you defend your belt”—does this rule apply to double champions?

Njmma209

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
BJ Penn, GSP, Conor Mcgregor

All three of these men opted to vacate their second belt without defending it. Not only was their no title defenses, none of them even ATTEMPTED to defend.

Randy Couture rightfully attempted a defense. The other 3 were paper double champs in my opinion. The Natural Couture is the only man who has a true claim to being a champ in two weight classes.

Thoughts?

No. If you are champ in more then one division, you are true champion no matter what , you don't need to defend your belt at all - you are already true champ .
<Gordonhat>

No. If you are champ in more then one division, you are true champion no matter what , you don't need to defend your belt at all - you are already true champ .
<Gordonhat>
But, Conor never defended either belt tho ?

I get why people say it but honestly you're a champ when you win the belt.

You're a true champion once you win the belt. You're a better champion when defending it. "Paper champ" has nothing to do with it.

Will defending Vs Brawck be a tainted title defense ?
Nah, if anything his first belt is a paper belt

Brock Is a more respectable defense than Shogun @ lhw would’ve been lol

You can win the belt and be a champ but if you dont defend you really have acconplished less than forest griffon did

But, Conor never defended either belt tho ?
I was kidding of course : )
by the true champ definition , Conor is everything but the true champ.
He is something like veni,vidi,vici ,cessi Champ ; )

BJ Penn, GSP, Conor Mcgregor

All three of these men opted to vacate their second belt without defending it. Not only was their no title defenses, none of them even ATTEMPTED to defend.

Randy Couture rightfully attempted a defense. The other 3 were paper double champs in my opinion. The Natural Couture is the only man who has a true claim to being a champ in two weight classes.

Thoughts?

I see what t.s is trying to do here..clearily mcgregor propaganda thread..

Conor doesnt belong on this list as the other fighters defended one of there belts in there respected divisions several times..

Conor never defended any belt and should not be counted in this list..

Nice try ..but conor still a duck and not true champion..also never "opted" to vacate he waited till dana had no choice..but to move on lol..

Man you guys work hard and for free to spin conors shit..must be love..

"You're not a true champion until you defend" is literally one of the stupidest adages in combat sports.

If you win your way to the top and then beat the champion, you're the true champion. Imagine Anderson Silva did what he did to Rich Franklin then never defended. He'd still have been the true champ. Jones does what he did to Shogun, then goes to jail for running down pedestrians. He would still have been the true champion. A real life example: Conor won his way to a TS at FW then flatlined Aldo - he was still the true champ.

It's always better for a fighter to beat good challengers in order to cement themselves as the best, but it isn't a criterion for becoming champ.

I see what t.s is trying to do here..clearily mcgregor propaganda thread..

Conor doesnt belong on this list as the other fighters defended one of there belts in there respected divisions several times..

Conor never defended any belt and should not be counted in this list..

Nice try ..but conor still a duck and not true champion..also never "opted" to vacate he waited till dana had no choice..but to move on lol..

Man you guys work hard and for free to spin conors shit..must be love..
Smashed Aldo after working his way to a TS - Conor was the true FW champ until he chose not to fight at 145 anymore.

I don't blame conor for not coming back because he made all that money, but clearly he hates khabib for what he did to artem or he wouldn't of attacked a bus and got arrested. So since Conor is legally able to fight him 1 on 1 in the cage he should or else hes clearly scared.

"You're not a true champion until you defend" is literally one of the stupidest adages in combat sports.

If you win your way to the top and then beat the champion, you're the true champion. Imagine Anderson Silva did what he did to Rich Franklin then never defended. He'd still have been the true champ. Jones does what he did to Shogun, then goes to jail for running down pedestrians. He would still have been the true champion. A real life example: Conor won his way to a TS at FW then flatlined Aldo - he was still the true champ.

It's always better for a fighter to beat good challengers in order to cement themselves as the best, but it isn't a criterion for becoming champ.
I completely agree. Not defending your title will cause you to rightfully lose your championship, but you still were a champion after winning it, and the refusal or inability to defend doesn't erase that.

Beating the champ is all that is required to become the champ. People like to say other things, but they are dumb.

I disagree. The only paper champs are anyone who held an interim title and Tyron Woodley.

Back