Social “Whatever the circumstance, health wise you are financially better off with ObamaCare" - N. Pelosi

which party do i vote for dumbass
Is assuming someone's party the new assuming someone's gender?

I'd actually be curious to know what party, if any, you support and what your overall view on politics is. While you and I disagree much more often than we agree, I find your comments thoughtful and interesting.

You guys seem really salty your own party shits all over free speech these days. Must be tough to deal with

Is assuming someone's party the new assuming someone's gender?

I'd actually be curious to know what party, if any, you support and what your overall view on politics is. While you and I disagree much more often than we agree, I find your comments thoughtful and interesting.

Since he brought up the party I voted for I assumed he could at least tell me who that party is! Apparently to this point in time he can't which I find quite humorous.

I voted conservative. I should point out that in my country the conservative party would be considered central left in some areas and far left in others (ie: gun control, social welfare, etc.).

Since he brought up the party I voted for I assumed he could at least tell me who that party is! Apparently to this point in time he can't which I find quite humorous.

I voted conservative. I should point out that in my country the conservative party would be considered central left in some areas and far left in others (ie: gun control, social welfare, etc.).

and what are their thoughts about the speech issue?

and what are their thoughts about the speech issue?

It should be enshrined in law. The party I voted for has consistently spoken out for the very few areas in Australian law that contradict free speech and I want them to do more of it. These matters of law have come up once or twice in a decade for literally one or two people out of the entire population in Australia.

So while people bang on their drum about enshrined Freedom of Speech they should understand the theoretical model they might have in their head and the practical reality of what Australian life looks like is so far removed that they are totally different realities.

It should be enshrined in law

I'm pleasantly surprised. I also admit I was wrong about you and your shitty party (whatever it is lol ;) )

So while people bang on their drum about enshrined Freedom of Speech they should understand the theoretical model they might have in their head and the practical reality of what Australian life looks like is so far removed that they are totally different realities.

I appreciate your willingness to engage even after I've been rather shitty towards you. What did you mean by this paragraph?

I'm pleasantly surprised. I also admit I was wrong about you and your shitty party (whatever it is lol ;) )

I appreciate your willingness to engage even after I've been rather shitty towards you. What did you mean by this paragraph?

It's the War Room and I'm shitty to people all the time. If I can't take what I dish out then I shouldn't be here.

By this paragraph I was referencing an older comment here:

Ya we're also the only country on earth that has freedom of speech. You can thank that selfish right wing

I apologise if the paragraph was a bit of a mess. I wrote it, edited it, rewrote it and by the time I was done it is all over the place.

I could narrow it down to: What do you think these countries look like? Because honestly they look pretty much just like yours with Western ideals.

So what I want to say is how you perceive other countries who lack an enshrined freedom of speech is not an accurate reflection of what they look like. You would be hard pressed to feel any difference to 99.999% of the population.

Ya we're also the only country on earth that has freedom of speech. You can thank that selfish right wing
<{nope}>

We can thank the Founding Fathers who were radicals in their day, not the conservatives of their time.

Yep, since the late nineties or early 2000s the right wing has been much better than the left on free speech issues.
I don't agree necessarily, in the wake of 9/11 the right was very much against any sort of dissenting opinions surrounding the WoT and painted them as unpatriotic. The current left wing PC madness developed under Obama and only really got bad towards the latter part of his run.

Americans prefer having a robust military over having health care. You get what you vote for.

didn't the supreme court rule in favor of it with the make-or-break-it vote being a conservative judge?

this is a complex situation but it's legal in the eyes of the SC

and there are multiple parties involved that contributed to its problems:
over-reaching democrats
obstructionist republicans
insurance companies

Nancy Pelosi.... I don’t know what she looks like, I just know the sound she makes when she lies.

I don't agree necessarily, in the wake of 9/11 the right was very much against any sort of dissenting opinions surrounding the WoT and painted them as unpatriotic. The current left wing PC madness developed under Obama and only really got bad towards the latter part of his run.

The anti-college hysteria, you mean.

If you look at polls, what you see is that support for free speech is stronger on the left (strongest on the far left, too) and has been rising among everyone for a long time. And particularly, the right rarely makes *principled* (as opposed to practical) defenses of free speech. So you'll see support for the free speech of racists but not of communists, atheists, or Muslims from right-wingers.

Good piece on the situation here:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/12/17100496/political-correctness-data

I apologise if the paragraph was a bit of a mess. I wrote it, edited it, rewrote it and by the time I was done it is all over the place.

Lol I've done that before too. Posting from the phone doesn't do me any favors

I could narrow it down to: What do you think these countries look like? Because honestly they look pretty much just like yours with Western ideals.

So what I want to say is how you perceive other countries who lack an enshrined freedom of speech is not an accurate reflection of what they look like. You would be hard pressed to feel any difference to 99.999% of the population.

The fact they don't completely abuse it doesnt make the potential for abuse and squelching of dissent any less. You are sort of admitting that while things look similar, you're at the mercy of the courts.

Back