“What is school for?” Prince EA

Schools are mostly social institutions. Kids learn abut responsibilities and functioning in a group of people. Education comes after those two. It's similar to a military service, if you're too above the average, or too below it, no school is needed. But for the majority, staying and doing good in school is a good path.

how long have you taught kindergarten? I've read that males teaching the younger grades face a lot of discrimination and and more obstacles to hiring and promotions.

I remember my children always having female teachers at infants/kindergarten . The last year of my son's infant school they hired an obviously gay male teacher to teach the reception year/youngest kids coming in.

The mothers there absolutely hated the idea of having a male teacher around their children. I couldn't care a whit. The women were horrible about him though, seemed to think he must be some sort of pervert and kiddy fiddler.

schoolofathens.jpg

The Socratic method predates that by 2000 years and still superior.
Agreed. I also like the nordic model, which seems to borrow from this tradition by favouring dialogue and discovery over indoctrination.

We're going to have to address this issue sooner or later since the current education system increasingly seems out of step with the future it's intended to prepare kids for.

I remember my children always having female teachers at infants/kindergarten . The last year of my son's infant school they hired an obviously gay male teacher to teach the reception year/youngest kids coming in.

The mothers there absolutely hated the idea of having a male teacher around their children. I couldn't care a whit. The women were horrible about him though, seemed to think he must be some sort of pervert and kiddy fiddler.
yeah, it raises suspicion among both parents and coworkers. But @Cash Bill 52 is chill af so they can probably see he is trustworthy.

Schools are mostly social institutions. Kids learn abut responsibilities and functioning in a group of people. Education comes after those two. It's similar to a military service, if you're too above the average, or too below it, no school is needed. But for the majority, staying and doing good in school is a good path.
Yep, we try to differentiate, but usually we just teach to the middle. Some kids in my class are reading chapter books and some don't recognize a letter in their name.
Meanwhile, they push us to teach them sounds. I resist.

Yep, I'm busting up the stereotypes left and right.

what's the mom flirting policy? Are you allowed to date the (single) moms?

what's the mom flirting policy? Are you allowed to date the (single) moms?
I'm used to moms coming on to me. I've put a few in their place. I've only dated one 3 years after their kid was in my class and out of our school. Dating a mom of a kid in your current class is a bad idea. IMHO

If anything school is a good platform to teach you how to learn. Though they may not teach you everything you need to learn, they will teach you how to learn, which is very important because people who don't go to school never learn how to learn.

Plus you integrate into society when you go to school. Very important for your social skills.

of course its not a complete waste of time, its very important, but sure could use a new approach and make it more efficient

The paradigm is shifting....but we're not there yet. People are realizing college is a racket, but it's gonna take decades before anything major is done about it. In the future I think the ability to do your job will be done through testing at the actual job sites, and not through a meaningless piece of paper that says you slept through years of courses and are 200k in debt. That shouldn't be a requirement. Ability and knowledge alone should suffice.

If I do 10x better in my job interview/required job testing than my counterparts who have degrees....but I don't have a degree....then who should get the job? It's common sense, really. We're just so used to things being set up the way they are for so many decades now that we don't ever stop to really think about how little sense that system makes.

Last edited:
I've been asking my kids on a weekly basis what they wanted to be even before they started kindergarten. I like to think that it gives them a goal and for them to narrow down what they should learn for the next step. School is an institution for them to take that step.

If I do 10x better in my job interview/required job testing than my counterparts who have degrees....but I don't have a degree....then who should get the job? It's common sense, really. We're just so used to things being set up the way they are for so many decades now that we don't ever stop to really think about how little sense that system makes.

This is my approach as well that's why I grinded for a degree. If we're both able and competent but I'm the one with the degree...

I'm used to moms coming on to me. I've put a few in their place. I've only dated one 3 years after their kid was in my class and out of our school. Dating a mom of a kid in your current class is a bad idea. IMHO

Woulda been cool to tell the kid you are his motherfucker...

Get it...? Get it!!?? Hahaha I slay myself!!!

The paradigm is shifting....but we're not there yet. People are realizing college is a racket, but it's gonna take decades before anything major is done about it. In the future I think the ability to do your job will be done through testing at the actual job sites, and not through a meaningless piece of paper that says you slept through years of courses and are 200k in debt. That shouldn't be a requirement. Ability and knowledge alone should suffice.

Teachers and schools no longer have a monopoly on the access to knowledge. We hold some kids back. Others, we go too fast for. Fundamental change is near.

Woulda been cool to tell the kid you are his motherfucker...

Get it...? Get it!!?? Hahaha I slay myself!!!

My last name is Hotter. I told this joke on another thread. A fifth grader asked if she could call me Mr. Hottie. I told her no. That’s not appropriate at all. She shrugged and said, “that’s what my mom calls you.”

Back