“I just got caught” = “I’m not good enough/I have a weak chin/I’m too slow/I was outsmart”

It can be true.

Rockhold got caught

Joanna got caught

it true

Most fighters "just get caught" by a strike their opponent is trying to land on them. It's more accurate to say "My opponent was trying to land a left hook on me and he did, so I just got caught by it cause I didnt block or avoid it." Its rare that an opponent closes their eyes and swing a wild haymaker out of fear and manages to luckily catch their opponent, but it does happen from time to time, though far less than people think.

I guess it depends.

Firstly, there are specific areas/regions on the head and body that are vulnerable. If you strike these areas at the correct angle and with sufficient force you will cause an involuntary reaction. Examples include the solar plexus, kidneys, liver, the temple and the chin. If you hit the chin at the right angle it will pinch a nerve and the opponent will be knocked out immediately.

So with regards to this first point anybody can get knocked out or stopped if they are struck in these areas/regions. Therefore getting "caught" would mean didn't properly defend themselves or read their opponents attack and were struck in an area that invariably leads to that involuntary response. This interpretation is merely someone respecting that they are mortal and in a fight they can get "caught"

The second interpretation is when a fighter doesn't recognize or respect the technical side of fighting. They claim they got "caught" but they don't take responsibility for the fact that their recklessness or poor techniques are what created the openings for them to get "caught". In this interpretation the fighter is potentially making the claim that the other fighter won on luck and not on strategy and execution.

For example look at both Werdum vs Miocic and Aldo vs McGregor.

In Werdum vs Miocic, Werdum chased after Micioc without respecting boxing range, he didn't use ring generalship to cut Miocic off and he chased Miocic by switching his stance and walking forwards rather than maintaining a boxing or muay thai stance. He didn't keep his chin tucked or maintain any defense. He used poor techniques and was reckless and got the exact result someone should expect from fighting that way. There was nothing lucky about the result for Miocic other than the fact that Werdum was foolish enough to fight that way.

Similarly Aldo rushed in at McGregor and also didn't keep his chin tucked. He lunged in with a hook when we was out of range and that left him exposed to eat a cross. McGregor beat him because of a technical flaw from Aldo and his recklessness.

Any fighter can get knocked out so getting "caught" is normal. But it should also educate a fighter that they left themselves exposed defensively or that their offensive tactics were used in the wrong context.

They're just arguing they were at least not dominated throughout the fight.
Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

It's already obvious they lost so it's not really necessary to say that you were bad, it's more about how badly you lost.

As long as they're not trying to pretend that a good strike was "nothing but a lucky punch", I'm fine.

Last edited:
It basically means they got caught.

<Fedor23>

This, when it's said and done with.

If the fighter says he was caught, then goes on and makes excuses and shit talks the other fighter. Well that's when I lose respect for them. It can happen to anyone

So Cody sucks because he lost to TJ..lmao...ok ...

If you want to put it bluntly, it's just another way of saying "I fucked up".

Being KOd by another fighter doesn't necessarily mean they are better, they were just better on the night.

You're wrong TS, I just go to caught is legitimate. It happens, the better fighter doesn't always win. This is a sport where being sloppy for a second can end your night no matter how far ahead you are.

the better fighter does not always win. shit happens. its like in other sports even a great goalie will have instances where they let in a bad/flukie goal.

When ever a fighter says they just “got caught” I think it’s just another way to say they suck while trying to save face.

Am I wrong?

What’s your definition of getting “caught”?
Sometimes you make a mistake & your opponent capitalizes on it. It isn't always because they were better. When 2 trained professionals compete, even if there is an obvious difference in skill level, the slightest mistake by either can determine the outcome, sometimes instantly. You see it all the time in the gym. You can kick a guys ass everyday for months, but one day he catches you flush during an exchange, or gets to your liver, or catches an unexpected sub....it happens. It sucks when it does, because it always looks like an excuse. But it's really just the best explanation to offer. Usually, guys who train or fight know exactly what "getting caught" is. Not to say that some don't flat out get their asses kicked & try to pass it off as "getting caught"....because I've seen that too.

A lot of Chuck's last fights man he was looking good....then he got caught

it's called fighting; anything can happen.

Back