“I go into every fight with a bad back and overweight and a damn-near diabetic.“

Part of it is an exaggerated character he plays to protect his ego if he gets destroyed, because you can tell he actually cares when he loses or even wins a stinker like vs Ngannou.

But his run is amazing. He looked like he was getting outclassed by that Soviet grappler, Browne, Volkov, and somehow pulled all 3 wins out of his ass.

I hope you guys know he is being self deprecating..... That is his schtick.... I guess you guys believe he only trains 30 minutes a day
Exactly. You can't take anything he says seriously

Just imagine. The UFC may soon have its first borderline diabetic champion. This is good?

A lot of fighters are like that in a sport where you only habe to compete 1-2 times a year.

“I go into every fight with a bad back and overweight and a damn-near diabetic.“

Derrick Lewis today.

Is this a good look for the UFC and MMA as a whole? One of the top contenders of the top organization in the top “baddest man in the world” class is an overweight, unhealthy and quite unathletic / unfit - by his own admission elsewhere in the same interview - fighter, literally relying on heart and a random big punch.

Scariest thing ... it works and he’s fighting for the title!
Derek Lewis is the true man's man. He truly does just sit on his couch and eat fried chicken until fight day. The likes of Roy Nelson and DC work their asses off and just eat more then they burn like pansies. Lewis round 5 KO 5 minutes into the round.

He used to be fit and lost the desire to stay in top shape somewhere down the line.

Classic case of becoming lazy after getting paid perhaps?

I don't think most people realize this. You look back on his fights before the UFC and he was actually in shape and surprisingly quick.

UFC desperately needs Fedor, Kharitonov, and Cro Cop back in their heavyweight division.

Oh Derrick. That's so Derrick of you. That Derrick is a hoot.

The sad part is he is proving how little being the best martial artist really matters in a fight. As long as you can pull a knockout punch outta your back pocket and absorb shots until it lands, your good.

Please train Mr. Lewis. We need an elite HW. You don't need to be skinny to have cardio. You don't have to give up eating to learn technique. Is training 2-3 hours a day 4 days a week too much to ask? Hour of cardio/weights. Hour on the mats. Hour with mitts. Then Popeyes. Then GOAT.

Does this fight even happen?!

Real possibility Weidman vs Rockhold is for a bullshit interim title.

I know he needs the money, as he has a family to feed, but he really should consider hanging em up soon.

Guy is going to wind up in a wheelchair for the rest of his life if he keeps taking chances with his back.
Yep, that's exactly what will happen. And a surgery is far from a sure thing too, I know because my back fusion never fused. Like Ray Longo said the other day, "health is wealth". That statement is so true. You can have all the money in the world, but if you don't have your health, all that money doesn't mean shit. People won't ever realize what that truly is like until it happens to them, I know I could have never imagined what everyday severe chronic pain would be like before the dr fucked me up, It's scary man. Nothings harder to deal with real debilitating pain, nothing even comes close. It's like a nightmare at times. Thank god for the internet so I don't go out of my mind.

Can’t wait to see him get smashed and sent to Bellator. Not gonna miss his profanity-laced interviews!

MY KIDS ARE WATCHING!!!!!!

EZ$4DC

PPV are rated TV-MA or something like that. Sounds like a parenting problem.

And DON'T respond with some bullshit. Look at the rating of the programming, look up the meaning of the rating, and remember the age of your children. Check their birth certificates if you have to. ;-/

If it doesn't match up, that's your fault, not the entertainer's (Mr. Black Beast hot balls) fault.

Derrick Lewis today.

Is this a good look for the UFC and MMA as a whole? One of the top contenders of the top organization in the top “baddest man in the world” class is an overweight, unhealthy and quite unathletic / unfit - by his own admission elsewhere in the same interview - fighter, literally relying on heart and a random big punch.

Scariest thing ... it works and he’s fighting for the title!
Meh.
the narrative for last fight was that same excuse but with the caveat that he was "cured" and we would see a "much different fighter"...

Well, we didn't.

Always entertaining, for sure. but this excuse does not work on me anymore.

He didn't get out of shape because he's lazy

it's because of his ongoing back problems, he probably can't do heavy cardio anymore without messing it up. He was actually slimmer and in shape in most of his early fights.

Isn't everyone? It takes a few months for the skull to fuse.

tenor.gif

I agree when you look at it based on divisions, to say that the heavyweight division does suck.

But it seems like such a silly thing to say because they destroy everyone who is "better"

He didn't get out of shape because he's lazy

it's because of his ongoing back problems, he probably can't do heavy cardio anymore without messing it up. He was actually slimmer and in shape in most of his early fights.
Agreed.
Hes still gonna beat DC

HW divison is a joke

same with boxing you have about 3 elites than rest are bums

Back