“Brock Lesnar sucks”, Jones fight “ridiculous” - Chael Sonnen

I'm going to get popped just entering this thread.

I thought he was a Brock guy.. has probably said the opposite before.

I'm buying this for the most part. Brock became champ mainly due to timing. His title fight was over at the weigh ins when you saw him next to Randy.

There's a lot of truth there. I mean Wes Hand was 208 and Lesnar was 325.

Chael: "We never talk about how terrible Brock is because he won a world championship"

lol
Unlike Sonnen himself, whose greatest accomplishment is ALMOST becoming world champion... twice!!

Chael in ruthlessly calculating analytical mode here.

He also says a clean Brock Lesnar might be “much less” than 265.

He also says of his college wrestling career, “he’s not better just bigger”.

He picked Hunt to easily beat Brock.

Then he claimed Brock would never fight in UFC again.

Chael would mark the fuck out if Brock Lesnar walked into the room.

"Brock Lesnar, you absolutely suck!"

- Kenny Florian

One struggles to be popular one does nothing and is popular.

Well he is right. Brock's success in MMA came mainly from his size, not his fighting ability.

Dude. Stop.

There's plenty of dudes just as big or bigger. Bob Sapp regularly fought people literally half his weight.

Brock won an NCAA championship. I know that you think "well that's just college", but what you don't realize is that NCAA champion is one step below a nationals team wrestler, that goes to the olympics. NCAA championships are incredibly difficult to win. He moves like a LHW, was a very capable submission grappler even with little BJJ training, and his only real weakness was striking.

To say he was mainly successful because he was big is ignorant. There's a reason wrestlers transition to MMA better than anyone else, and it's not even close. High-level wrestling gives you everything you need physically and mentally to squish people, and Brock squished the best of 'em.

Dude. Stop.

There's plenty of dudes just as big or bigger. Bob Sapp regularly fought people literally half his weight.

And Bob Sapp had some success because of his size. He even defeated Ernesto Hoost, one of the greatest kickboxers of all time, and not just once, but twice! Is Bob Sapp a great kickboxer? No, he is not, but he is strong and hits hard if he lands. Sapp's big weakness is his glass jaw. If he could take a punch, he would have done better for himself.

Brock Lesnar has a wrestling background, yes, but how effective has he been with his wrestling in the UFC?

Percentage of successful takedowns against UFC opponents:

100% Heath Herring
100% Frank Mir
50% Randy Couture
25% Shane Carwin
33% Cain
0% Overeem

Yes, he landed all of his takedowns against Heath Herring and Frank Mir which would have been impressive if it weren't for the fact that Heath's overall takedown defense is 32%, and that Frank Mir is famous for having problem when facing wrestlers who pressures him. 50% against Randy Couture. Yes, Randy is a great wrestler, but Brock had a 60lbs+ weight advantage against him. 50% is not exactly great under those circumstances. 25% against Shane Carwin, 33% against Cain, and 0% Overeem are not exactly great numbers considering Brock's supposedly great wrestling. These numbers would be lower if he wasn't a physical freak.

I left a comment on that video a few days ago, so I'll just copy and paste it here:

Brock doesn't suck but he's definitely overrated. He beat Randy Couture when Couture was old and coming off a 15-month layoff, Shane Carwin was beating the piss out of Brock before he gassed (and let's be honest, that fight could have justifiably been stopped when Lesnar was getting his skull bashed in against the fence), he had a split series with Mir and in his last fight got a decision win over a 12-10-1 Mark Hunt. It's not really an impressive resume, and not one that makes me think he'd be able to take Jon Jones.

Back