“Both of the principals in 225’s main event would crush and version of Anderson Silva”

Supposedly the game evolved a lot when Weidman beat Silva. Then the game evolved even more when Rockhold beat Weidman. What did we then see? TUF era Bisping who was eyeing retirement crush Rockhold on 2 weeks notice and then Bisping gets chocked out by GSP and holds the MW belt(Supposedly GSP couldn't compete with the current crop of WWs either and he went up and snagged the MW belt instead).

While it's true MMA does does get better people forget the more relevant fact that is true for ALL sports. Athletes have peaks and lows and ALL athletes eventually grow older and retire. No one says a top quarterback from 20 years ago couldn't compete in the NFL today but in MMA the game magically evolves so often that the last crop of guys can't compete with the current crop. I say thats complete bullshit.

Absolutely, especially when you consider the fact that martial arts has existed for over a thousand years.

Its human nature to not want to admit the best might not be your generation. Any fighter from their prime that was a dominate fighter would still be able to hang. And they would be learning the new stuff to along with their training.

Anderson made amateurs look amateur - he faced a new breed fighter once and got KTFO'd, faced him again and then ended up in the hospital for half a year. Whittaker would take him down or beat him up on the feet with his superior athletiscm. The bar in this sport was so low compared to now that you can't get by unless you are super strong in all areas, and Andy's TDD was just shite.

Best wins: Forrest was on xanax, Vitor wasn't on the T and Hendo is a hot/cold brawler that forgot how to wrestle and was tailor made for Andy.

It's just shocking that people acknowledge Rousey as a big fish in a small pond hype fraud but not Anderson. The Zuffa hype is still strong I guess.

Anderson made amateurs look amateur - he faced a new breed fighter once and got KTFO'd, faced him again and then ended up in the hospital for half a year. Whittaker would take him down or beat him up on the feet with his superior athletiscm. The bar in this sport was so low compared to now that you can't get by unless you are super strong in all areas, and Andy's TDD was just shite.

Best wins: Forrest was on xanax, Vitor wasn't on the T and Hendo is a hot/cold brawler that forgot how to wrestle and was tailor made for Andy.

It's just shocking that people acknowledge Rousey as a big fish in a small pond hype fraud but not Anderson. The Zuffa hype is still strong I guess.
Lol

He does have an account on here to ask him about his opinion before trashing him... But I believe they would be a huge step up from guys like Maia and Cote...

Whittaker could possibly get matrixed by Silva. Don't know how Silva deals with Romero, though.

I’m a huge Whittaker fan and I agree, Thompson cleaned him up pretty easily (admittedly a long time ago)

I read that article it was trash he also said the ppv price should be raised! I was like Wtf? Lol

I didn't read the article. From what you say ts, it sounds like a waste of time anyway. Young Silva would likely out strike Whittaker and I would be curious about Yoel. Bonnar was a huge man compared and did not easily man handle Andy. Anderson also got beat handily by DC but not completely rag dolled like Hendo did and DC would probably pretty soundly out grapple Yoel in m opinion. Hard to say on that one. One thing for sure, it sounds like this Ben Duffy guy is a can.

Staff writer Ben Duffy shitting on Anderson Silva’s legacy and greatness is pretty pathetic.

In his article, “Finding A New Trojan Horse,” Ben Duffy makes this very disrespectful and ignorant claim. I’m probably being over sensitive because Ben Duffy is not some authority whose opponents opinion means much. But this assertion still bothers me.

It may be true that a prime Anderson loses to either Robert or Yoel. But there’s also a good chance he’d beat either one. It’s impossible to say. I just think Duffy’s logic is garbage. He basically believes that both Yoel and Robert would crush any version of Anderson because the game has evolved so much. So even though neither guy has done what Anderson has, they’re simply better because their the current top guys, and Silva peaked about 10 years ago?

What do you guys think about this claim?
Are we forgetting what wonderboy Thompson did to Whittaker? Whittaker is a beast, but I could see a prime Anderson having his way with him.

I think the funniest thing is that the sentence about Whittaker or Romero beating any version of Silva is just a throwaway line meant to infuriate y'all, and it worked beautifully. The article is all about something completely different than that line, but you guys are seem too angry to see past it.

The game has evolved, yes.

Anderson was also VERY ahead of the game for his time. Such an ignorant comment to make imo.

Whittaker wins, but he looks beatable. Silva looked special and it felt like you were watching something happen. You don't get that with every champ

Good evening, fellow fight fans. It looks as though there are some people here who disagreed with elements of my Friday column. What's on your mind?

Fair warning: I'm probably going to hit the sack soon, as I'm on duty at 0330 Texas time for the Singapore card, but I'll certainly circle back around to reply during or after the card as I'm able.

Silva's wins are so massively overrated by his cult muppets it is sad to see.

I'd favour Anderson against Robert because of the lack of offensive wrestling. I don't see how he'd keep Romero out of his face though.

Prime Anderson beats any MW and LHW who ever lived except Juiced Jones.

Funny how everyone thought Silva was in his prime for his first fight with Weidman , 17 fight win streak, absolutely thrashed Bonnar at LHW, had an amazing come behind sub on Sonnen.

Then when he lost to Weidman the first time, diehard Silva fans immediately set about re-writing MMA history. He was past his prime, he had looked off in his last few fights (although his last 5 fights prior to Weidman were all easy finishes). etc.

We often say at sherdog that Fedor has the most deluded fan base but I still firmly believe that Silva has the highest quality of nut hugging possible.

Back