‘Rampage’ Jackson regrets starting MMA, wishes he remained close with his family

Its cool that he thinks about that stuff, but I always find odd how (certain) athletes don't appreciate things they have. With Rampage, he's probably not as happy as we think he should be. One similar instance that annoyed me for some reason, was Arian Foster was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently. And this guy was talking about how he wouldn't play football if he could go back. As if he is some astrophycist in football player's uniform. Trying to talk like he is some open-minded guru or intellectual, yet as he was talking to Joe, he demonstrated none of those skills. He sounded like what he is: a jock.

Just wanted to say that I felt the exact same way watching that podcast. Although in Foster's defense, he definitely seemed brighter than the average NFL player.

WTF?

Airplanes, how do they work.

Rampage has a job that requires him to be in a certain place for four days two or three times a year.

He doesn't ducking live in Vegas which is the fight capital of the world and he doesn't live in a city with a major camp.

He lives in Cali because he loves his sushi, Asian girls and sunshine.

He can't complain abyiout missing his family because he can live with them.

Rampage has to be at training camps that last far longer than 4 days. They last at least for 2 1/2 months and the more fights you have a year, the more those days add up. Taking 2 fights a year means being in Cali for almost half a year. And then add to that your own Cali based family time and it adds up.

Las Vegas is much closer to Cali than Memphis. Rampage lives close to Las Vegas and also live close to other opportunities that arise out of MMA that dont exist in Memphis.

And flying to Memphis for a weekend is not the same as living in Memphis. If Rampage were to go back for a week, he probably does not get to see all the people he want to because he is trying to spend quality time with each person and then its time to fly back to Cali.

He has regrets and they are real regrets that come thru real lived experiences, not some teenage fantasies of eating sushi, banging asian chicks and playing video games all day.

One day, you kids will understand why someone might at least question the choices they made in life.

Move to Memphis then bud.
I mean, is there a rule that says fighters have to live in Cali?

Exactly what I was thinking. What the fuck? I could understand this talk during the Pride years when he's in Japan, but now...?

If there were a belt for 'ungrateful whiny bitch' Rampage Jackson would be the lifelong undisputed champ.
I'd literally pay for your plane ticket if you had the balls to go to his gym and tell him that to his face.
The hospital bill would be on you though.

I've seen interviews where Rampage talks about how his family thinks he's super rich and should be taking care of the whole family

It's deeper than "just move back to Memphis, duh", when you become rich at the level Rampage is your friends and family treat you different and to make sure you don't go back to being broke you have to sometimes leave those people behind.

A lot of people don't understand this, money changes people, but it also changes the people around you drastically. I've sadly had to deal with this first hand, I have been lucky or fortunate whatever you want to call it to win a large sum of money. Friends, family, and even relatives that I hadn't spoken to in years started acting like they had won too once they eventually found out. I had to cut ties with a lot of them over it and that really hurt. I was basically viewed as an ATM for some of them because apparently making sure a few select people in my life never have to work again in their life means I should provide for an entire family most of whom hadn't spoken to me in years.

Without mma it is very , very much likely that Rampage would have lived a mediocre life at best.Professionally and financially.

So, in an alternate world a 10 an hour factory worker Quinton Jackson is regretting not giving mma a shot.(construction pays good money but it is pretty much seasonal....almost never all year around if you are a small contractor)

Rampage has to be at training camps that last far longer than 4 days. They last at least for 2 1/2 months and the more fights you have a year, the more those days add up. Taking 2 fights a year means being in Cali for almost half a year. And then add to that your own Cali based family time and it adds up.

Las Vegas is much closer to Cali than Memphis. Rampage lives close to Las Vegas and also live close to other opportunities that arise out of MMA that dont exist in Memphis.

And flying to Memphis for a weekend is not the same as living in Memphis. If Rampage were to go back for a week, he probably does not get to see all the people he want to because he is trying to spend quality time with each person and then its time to fly back to Cali.

He has regrets and they are real regrets that come thru real lived experiences, not some teenage fantasies of eating sushi, banging asian chicks and playing video games all day.

One day, you kids will understand why someone might at least question the choices they made in life.
boohoo

If his family won't move to California (older people tend to hate moving) maybe he can move back to Memphis with his own family once he's stopped fighting (traveling/training for big fights). I'm sure he's a hero in there...though maybe that's part of the problem.

On every count bullshit.

He doesn't go to a world class camp in Cali.

There is no reason for him to live there except for sushi, sunshine and Asian girls WHICH is his life if you followed his instagram.

He's the immature one complaining about his fantastic life where his work consists of working ou, talking shit and beating dudes up.

Rampage didn't have any issues with flying to Japan constantly when he was in Pride.

I've had my kid live in another country and was visiting him constantly with nothing like the amount of free time or money Rampage has. My 41 year old ass, so don't call me kid.

Fuck. Seriously, this. I'm constantly amazed at the level of stupid I read on this board.
It's not "complaining". He's just talking about his thoughts and feelings in an INTERVIEW. Would the morons in here prefer he just howled and talked about his nuts instead?

We all have different priorities and ideas about life at 21 compared to when we're 35. He's an older athlete on the tail end of his career with a family of his own, and he wished he did a few things a bit different. There is nothing wrong with having some doubts or questions about the choices you made when you were young and dumb.
He realized how much he missed out on with his family and has some regrets about that. It's actually pretty admirable that he has these thoughts. He can't simply just move back to Memphis like it's going to be the same now. He missed out on a lot already.
His kids are in California, so he's not just going to take them out of school to live in Memphis. He also can't train in Memphis. He can visit, and I'm sure he does, but it isn't going to be the same.

What world class gym is he going to in Cali?

And why the fuck can't he take his kids from school? I moved from another fucking country half way during high school, learnt one of most difficult languages on the planet and still went to university. Going from Cali to Memphis is nothing especially if the kids were gaining an extended family in their new home.

I respect his thought process but I am happy he chose MMA.

He is one of my all time favourite fighters and his KO over Arona is my favourite KO as well.

L9CHz3C.gif
What must that split-second have felt like for Arona? What went through his mind as he hurtled toward the mat? One of the most amazing moments in MMA history.

When you get older you wonder about your choices sometimes. Hope Rampage either makes the decision to solve whatever problems he feels he has, or makes peace with his choices.

I'd literally pay for your plane ticket if you had the balls to go to his gym and tell him that to his face.
The hospital bill would be on you though.

Does Jackson know you are brokering fights for him on Sherdog?

Jesus fucking christ you're all a bunch of ressentiment infested dick lickers
This is exactly it. It's amazing how angry people are getting about an ADMISSION of guilt over the way the guy has lived his life. As if his regret over his mma career has ANYTHING to do with you personally. It doesnt. No one cares about you. You have no friends. War Rampage.

This is exactly it. It's amazing how angry people are getting about an ADMISSION of guilt over the way the guy has lived his life. As if his regret over his mma career has ANYTHING to do with you personally. It doesnt. No one cares about you. You have no friends. War Rampage.

I personally don't like the guy. I think he is bully and a crybaby at the same time. When he can't bully people, he cries.

Rampage doesn't care about you, why care about him?

What world class gym is he going to in Cali?

And why the fuck can't he take his kids from school? I moved from another fucking country half way during high school, learnt one of most difficult languages on the planet and still went to university. Going from Cali to Memphis is nothing especially if the kids were gaining an extended family in their new home.

Whatever gym he's going to in California, INCLUDING Glendale Boxing gym is going to be better than any gym he could go to in Memphis. He has access to equipment, training partners, and more than likely a few trainers that he feels comfortable working with. He wouldn't have that in Memphis.

Good for you. It's almost like people have different preferences that lead to different choices or something, huh? I grew up in a military family and was moved countless times. I gained some good experiences, but i did miss out on being around extended family and not having much of any long lasting friendships. I currently live abroad, and have been for the past 9 years. I like my life, but i am missing out on a lot back home.
Going from Cali to Memphis is nothing for you. It is for him. He probably doesn't want to uproot his family when they're perfectly happy where they are. It's like he's a caring father or something. Moving during high school is fucking awful.

Back