‘Political Hospice’ Is ‘Way Forward’ For White Working Class, Says WashPo Editor

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
A pro-immigration advocate says the hard-hit mostly white working-class communities in the United States must be wheeled into “political hospice care,” and a Washington Post columnist commended his solution “as a way forward.”
“Economic dislocation and demographic changes are fueling discomfort and desperation among white working-class voters,” wrote WashPo columnist and editorial board member Jonathan Capehart, continuing:

While [university professor and author] Justin Gest says that both Republicans and Democrats have exploited these voters, he sees a way forward.

“The only way of addressing their plight is a form of political hospice care,” [Gest] said. “These are communities that are on the paths to death. And the question is: How can we make that as comfortable as possible?”

Capehart declined to answer questions from Breitbart about his statement that “hospice care” for mostly white working-class communities is “a way forward” for the nation. He declined to suggest alternative policies or to suggest which of the progressives’ political goals could be traded to win support for white working-class voters in 2020.

The offer of political elimination to working-class communities has prompted anger even from some left-wing writers, such as Martin Longman at The Washington Monthly.

I’m not saying the whole Democratic Party feels this way, but the default position among a lot of progressives since the election has been that to even talk about these folks is to pander to their racism and dilute the party’s commitment to civil rights, women’s rights, gay rights, and the environment. If we want to draw up our battle lines like that, then they sure as s*** are going to take the hint…

I don’t recognize a [political] left that has no better solution for struggling people than to make their inevitable deaths more comfortable. That’s not just a political loser. It’s an indefensible position to take as human beings. Every single community needs a left that will represent them and that doesn’t mean it will tolerate them or give them just enough to ease the worst of their pain.

Gest responded to Breitbart’s questions by doubling down, saying immigrants can replace American consumers, workers, and children, and also that expert advice will soothe American communities during their government-managed exit:

Declining towns need immigrants to reinvigorate their markets, take on unwanted labor positions, and add youth to aging demographies. Once these communities understood the benefits immigrants bring and were consulted about the terms of their integration, they would feel more comfortable with their arrival.

Breitbart asked if Americans’ communities can be strengthened by wage-boosting curbs on immigration or trade, but Gest, a strong advocate for globalism, offered only a series of additional government programs to offset the current government-imposed policies of cheap labor and cheap imports.

Public policy can help ease the pressure on ‘outmoded’ post-industrial communities and facilitate their integration into the modern economy… States can incentivize apprenticeships and job training by the private sector like they do in Montana. They can provide universal health care like they do in Vermont. Other ideas have yet to be pursued: What if welfare benefits increased when recipients were enrolled in university programs or trade schools, so that we subsidize re-skilling and innovation? What if the quality of school districts weren’t correlated with the income of their neighborhoods, entrenching people into intergenerational poverty? What if minimum wage laws, workplace protections, and family leave policies allowed people to live on the jobs that already exist in the United States today? These ideas don’t require a revolution; they require courage and political will…

Higher wages can be mandated by policy, and so can more accessible, high quality education. Policy can therefore reduce wage competition at the bottom and help level the playing field for poorer Americans.

Gest, an assistant professor at the Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University, sharply opposed cuts to current high level of immigration, which now imports one immigrant for every four Americans who turn 18. Gest also argued that immigrants are more inventive and hardworking than Americans and are also more useful to the prosperous middle-class, saying:

Immigration is one of the principal engines of [economic] growth in the United States because immigrants disproportionately start new businesses (which hire people) and innovate (by filing patents). They also often take unwanted jobs in meatpacking, cleaning, and agriculture. Would it have been better if Albert Einstein stayed in Germany? What if Jerry Yang’s family stayed in Taiwan? … [also] reducing immigration would actually hurt the middle class.

Gest made his hospice comments when Capehart invited him to talk via his podcast about his book on white working-class communities, titled “The New Minority: White Working Class Politics in an Age of Immigration and Inequality.”

Their conversation was revealing because Gest repeatedly admitted that the fight over working-class communities is also a political fight over who gets higher social status. Democrats, he argued, want to grant higher status to their diverse coalition of progressives and various minorities, and are willing to reduce the social status of the white working-class.

Many working-class whites supported former President Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012 but pulled the lever for Donald Trump in 2016 because Trump’s support for working-class communities was a huge contrast to the disdain from Democrats. “It has become okay [among Democrats] to become classist against poor white people and the [white voters] see it,” said Gest.

The party’s coalition includes environmentalists, lawyers, Latinos, hippies, and electric-car drivers, Gest said, adding “there are many people in there who like the privileged status that the Democratic Party gives to certain ethnic groups.” For the party to welcome the white working class, he added, it would be “cheapening” the privileges given to others.

Capehart did not disagree and did not counter Gest’s comments during the podcast interview.

Capehart did push the claim that white working-class support for Trump is based on mere nostalgia for prior decades, not on a rational hope that Trump’s pro-American policies are better than the Democrats’ cheap-labor immigration policies, and might even revive struggling American communities in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and other states.

Gest did not suggest any political fixes for cheap-labor immigration or global trade, saying:

For many white working class people, and this is going to be controversial, for many white working class people, not all of them but many, you have a community of people who are advanced in age, whose skill set is for a different economy, who are living in communities that are losing population, losing resources, and so in many ways, the only way of addressing their plight is a form of political hospice care. These are communities that are on the paths to death, and the question is how can we make that as comfortable as possible …

Gest inadvertently admitted that the targets of his pity, white working-class communities, actually have a broader, non-racial view of their economic circumstances, saying:

How can we truly ‘level the playing field’? And what is so remarkable Jonathan, is that that is the language many of my white working class respondents used. It is the language that we’ve heard the civil rights movement use – ‘Leveling the playing field,’ ‘Finding equality.’

That is where Gest defaulted to the palliative policy of giving more taxpayer funds to his peers in the white-collar education industry:

How can we make an America that has greater mobility … independent of your race, independent of your ethnicity. How can we create avenues for people who start off in these communities in hospice care to live vibrant and dynamic lives of possibility, and I think that so much actually returns to education … education is that avenue to mobility, intergenerational mobility. It allows a steel town to raise children who are not necessarily predestined for manufacturing … our system of education is not allowing us to create a break, an intervention, where we actually prevent these communities destined for death, to be revived.

Gest’s focus on the white working-class also avoided any debate over America’s middle-class professionals and children, all of whom are the next target of the cheap-labor immigration policy. Already, college graduates are losing revenue and status to cheap-labor immigration and the outsourcing of white-collar jobs to foreign students, white-collar contract workers, and lower-wage countries.

Well, gotta say this one left me a little micro-triggered.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...rward-white-working-class-says-washpo-editor/

are they basically saying white genocide is happening and to comfort white people while it does?

are they basically saying white genocide is happening and to comfort white people while it does?
No, not genocide. Lol just that white middle America is in the main dying as a demographic and that simple palative care to ease that along is best. He does offer some suggestions as far as education to bring them, or atleast their children, into the "modern" world though so I guess it's not all bad. Lol

Basically advocating these struggling communities , think rust and bible belt, be allowed to wither away to be replaced.

Last edited:

In economic terms I'd say that's exactly what they're saying. It's some seriously insane shit. The kind of politicians this thinking could sweep into power would make Trump look like a milder Jimmy Carter

No, not genocide. Lol just that white middle America is in the main dying as a demographic and that simple palatine care to ease that along is best. He does offer some suggestions as far as education to bring them, or atleast their childreb, into the "modern" world though so I guess it's not all bad. Lol

when white nationalists bring up white genocide, theyre not talking about a holocaust. they mean the concept of trying to convince white people not to have kids (promote LGBTBBQ+ shit and have governments pay for trans shit for kids like they do in canada)

then use the aging population as an excuse to flood them with nonwhite immigrants and set up government programs to subsidize nonwhite groups over white people, so that areas that were formerly white become non-white. they use the push by the left to flood immigrants in EVERY european or majority white country

i dont ascribe to this ideology, i think its just shit that happens """naturally""" and not necessarily a globalist conspiracy, but the wapo article is basically saying its happening

when white nationalists bring up white genocide, theyre not talking about a holocaust. they mean the concept of trying to convince white people not to have kids (promote LGBTBBQ+ shit and have governments pay for trans shit for kids like they do in canada)

then use the aging population as an excuse to flood them with nonwhite immigrants and set up government programs to subsidize nonwhite groups over white people, so that areas that were formerly white become non-white. they use the push by the left to flood immigrants in EVERY european or majority white country

i dont ascribe to this ideology, i think its just shit that happens """naturally""" and not necessarily a globalist conspiracy, but the wapo article is basically saying its happening
Or at least that it should be allowed to happen. But maybe I'm reading too much into his comments.

Normal Americans realize Radical Islam is a bigger issue than men being allowed in girls locker rooms.

Until democrats realize this, they'll continue losing.

So he's saying that mass migration is a foregone conclusion and we should just suck it up? Sorry, only skimmed the article.

Because i there's on thing the Washington Post understands, it's the white working class.

5a7.jpg

Yes constant growth! More third world immigrants please!

Small town America is going to love it!

Please explain how this is happening naturally?

White people are racist and privileged why are so not racist minorities supposed to make their deaths comfortable?

Interesting article,

I am not sure I think the rhetoric is wisely chosen, comes across a bit brazen, harsh, and more divisive if anything.
-After reading more into the article, there is quite a bit of fact there;
1. Something does need to be done to help all working class, US citizens, gain meaningful and affordable education.
2. Importing "talent" and outsourcing non-STEM, education-credentialed, positions seems like a ridiculous formula.

Race is acting like the big divider again (silliness);
the truth is the area mentioned ("rust/bible belt") are in a place of obsolescence and there isn't much incentive to "bring these places into the future"; not without educating them first and providing residents pathway to self-sustainment
--Blue Collar work IS becoming obsolete, but bringing up the skill set of people in these area is better for the future of this country.

If we're going to "Import", make sure you Import the fine, fit women talent, aiiiiiii
:kiss: (She's American but you know what I mean)

So he's saying that mass migration is a foregone conclusion and we should just suck it up? Sorry, only skimmed the article.

not to suck it up, but that you are powerless to stop it ..... bitches!

How do minorities and white progressives think the future is going to be so awesome for them, their children and immigrants? They are furthering the goals of incredibly evil people that are in power. I wouldn't want to live in that twisted future society even if I wasn't white.

The rapid spread of anti-white ideology is just in your head.

not to suck it up, but that you are powerless to stop it ..... bitches!
Well, that seems to be the case. Trump got elected, yet it seemed to make little difference, and indeed he seems to be backing away from his campaign promises. Or perhaps pushed away from is a better way of putting it. Brexit won, yet there's talk of taking in more migrants anyways. The V4 countries, as a whole, are vehemently against taking in migrants, yet are faced with threaths from Brussels on a continuing basis if they dare to want to keep their cultures intact. There's an increasing outcry against mass migration in the EU that is being ignored, and in fact vilified in some cases. Strange days indeed.

have the people that spout this bullshit EVER traveled?

barring like Japan, where are these mythical non white majority locations that aren't ate up?

I've heard Burkina faso is great this time of year, why not move there then?

Back