Social ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ 1&2 director fired by Disney for saying he likes little boys.

I guess that in hollywood is like joking about soccer or football ( baseball) elsewhere.

The right has successfully weaponized the left against itself

People in here that are outraged at him being fired are acting like he's being crucified. He got fired, not locked up. Disney has an image to maintain and they work with kids. No shit they don't want to associate with someone who makes jokes like these. It has nothing to do with people being snowflakes. Nothing wrong with their decision whatsoever, and they can choose to do business with whomever they want.
The problem is, they knew about these tweets when they hired him.

He was largely into dark humor and "South Park/Family guy/Howard Stern" over the top sort of shit and his shit came off that way years ago. It comes off a different way in the current climate

So many posters who pretend to have deeply held beliefs on censorship and freedom of speech, but then selectively apply it depending on whether it can be considered a 'win' for their political team or not.

Absolutely fucking shameful.

Top kek, yes it is. Basically another form of lol. Comes from World of Warcraft, players of one faction can only chat with their own and the chat of the other alliance is translated into a cryptic form based on Korean. Eventually players figured out "lol" comes out as "kek". Very commonly used by alt-right types but I like the way it sounds so I prefer it over "lol" and hence my location.
I now feel enlightened. I think.

I defend his right to make disgusting jokes if he wants to.
I also defend Disney's right to no longer employ someone who could potentially damage their brand.

People can fire whoever they want for making fucked up jokes. That's one reason why you should think about what you say before you say it. Isn't this common knowledge?
apparently, lots of 13 year olds in this thread with "you dont tell me what to say" attitude.

The right has successfully weaponized the left against itself
Not a cause for celebration. That just means they became what they allegedly hate. Great fucking result.

Why do so many leftists think paedophilia is a source of humour?

Breaking taboos or using chock for humorous purpose can't be a new concept for anyone, nor would it be advisable to think that it's limited to one group of people.

I'm not going to lie.

This story scares the shit out of me.

We live in 1984.

War is peace. Slavery is freedom. Ignorence is strength.

I'm not sure about this one, i guess it shows how social media has ruined society and self expression really.

Everyone has told an off colour joke before, maybe not about kids but maybe race related, maybe about rape, maybe about disabled people, whatever...we can all find something to be offended by if we want to be.
It's easy to hide behind a screen name and pour scorn on someone you'll never meet in real life then sit back feeling virtuous but if we persecute people for poor taste jokes ask yourself who is deciding what is in poor taste and once we ban one type of joke do you think it stops there? Nope, there are a vocal minority who contribute nothing, create nothing and achieve nothing who think that criticising and protesting other people makes them virtuous, these people pretend they do not understand humour and pretend to take everything literally....think of the people who thought a man saying women allowed him to grab their pussies was worth dressing like a vagina and demanding he be impeached because he is a rapist.

If we ban bad jokes we won't get good ones because people will be too scared of taking risks in humour and fuck that.

Basically if the guy is just making some bad jokes, lets not make it something its not. He maybe should not have said this on twitter but then again 10 years ago who would have tjought twitter would become what it has? Where was he in has life? Probably not working for disney.

All that said though, you have to have some common sense, i might make a joke about fucking kids in very specific circumstances with specific people if there was a context that made it funny however i would never make that joke where it could be taken out of context because i know outwith certain boundarys those jokes are distateful and offensive.

So basically, those jokes were not good jokes really especially out of context, that doesnt make him a nonce. However his lack of discretion means that really you can't complain about disney dropping him, how could they not?

Sorry for the long post

I'm not going to lie.

This story scares the shit out of me.

We live in 1984.

War is peace. Slavery is freedom. Ignorence is strength.

When most people read 1984 they were more concerned about a police state that observed everything and controlled every aspect of your behaviour. Not people voluntarily disposing of privacy in favour of broadcasting their thoughts and lives to the world on permanent record, or the social consequences that could have.
Can't remember the title or author for the life of me, but there was some Golden Age apocalyptic scifi about developing satellite communication (except it was essentially telepathy, with direct mind communication) which destroyed the world. A bit dramatic, but seems a better fit.

I'm not sure about this one, i guess it shows how social media has ruined society and self expression really.

Everyone has told an off colour joke before, maybe not about kids but maybe race related, maybe about rape, maybe about disabled people, whatever...we can all find something to be offended by if we want to be.
It's easy to hide behind a screen name and pour scorn on someone you'll never meet in real life then sit back feeling virtuous but if we persecute people for poor taste jokes ask yourself who is deciding what is in poor taste and once we ban one type of joke do you think it stops there? Nope, there are a vocal minority who contribute nothing, create nothing and achieve nothing who think that criticising and protesting other people makes them virtuous, these people pretend they do not understand humour and pretend to take everything literally....think of the people who thought a man saying women allowed him to grab their pussies was worth dressing like a vagina and demanding he be impeached because he is a rapist.

If we ban bad jokes we won't get good ones because people will be too scared of taking risks in humour and fuck that.

Basically if the guy is just making some bad jokes, lets not make it something its not. He maybe should not have said this on twitter but then again 10 years ago who would have tjought twitter would become what it has? Where was he in has life? Probably not working for disney.

All that said though, you have to have some common sense, i might make a joke about fucking kids in very specific circumstances with specific people if there was a context that made it funny however i would never make that joke where it could be taken out of context because i know outwith certain boundarys those jokes are distateful and offensive.

So basically, those jokes were not good jokes really especially out of context, that doesnt make him a nonce. However his lack of discretion means that really you can't complain about disney dropping him, how could they not?

Sorry for the long post

A lot of people struggle with the basics of social media.
The idea that your audience is potentially everyone and that it's recorded for all time should play more of a role in how people use it.

You can't be outraged by this and not Roseanne's situation.

Breaking taboos or using chock for humorous purpose can't be a new concept for anyone, nor would it be advisable to think that it's limited to one group of people.

Why would anyone want to 'break the taboo' of paedophilia... unless they were trying to normalise it? And it's quite clear that the constant 'joking' about paedophilia is almost exclusively a leftist thing.

When most people read 1984 they were more concerned about a police state that observed everything and controlled every aspect of your behaviour. Not people voluntarily disposing of privacy in favour of broadcasting their thoughts and lives to the world on permanent record, or the social consequences that could have.
Can't remember the title or author for the life of me, but there was some Golden Age apocalyptic scifi about developing satellite communication (except it was essentially telepathy, with direct mind communication) which destroyed the world. A bit dramatic, but seems a better fit.

A lot of people struggle with the basics of social media.
The idea that your audience is potentially everyone and that it's recorded for all time should play more of a role in how people use it.

Your answer to me is a very fair point, however i think its fair to say 10 years ago we were all a lot more naiive.

I disagree with your assesment of 1984 and todays society a little. My biggest take was that in 1984 there was a society where children policed their parents, friends policed friends and coleagues policed coleagues. As this society gained power it became more important to be seen as someone who actively supported the mindlessness that was big brothers society and to narrow the parameters of what was acceptable.

What made this so insidious was that it wasnt big brother that really controlled society it was people willing to abandon free thought in favour of currying favour by publicaly supporting the narrowing of self expresion and marginalising free thinkers.
Big brother doesn't work without people choosing it and when we choose to persecute people for daring to make jokes or think thoughts outwith the accepted norms we are heading towards exactly what orwell predicted. We are rewarded with facebook likes for outing people who speak outwith the norm and express opinions contrary to the mainstream and in this world facebook/twitter likes are valuable currency for a society that lives for their online reputation. Thats creepy, thats communist east germany/1984 and we are voluntarily choosing it for ourselves with every incident like this.

Just as an aside, anyone who has never read 1984 should, it is a surprisingly easy read for such an insightful, deep book.

You can't be outraged by this and not Roseanne's situation.

Maybe its best we all stop being so outraged all the time about the actions of people we will never meet whos actions have no impact on our lives?

Jokes scare me. I'm glad Disney is taking steps to protect me from them.

Your answer to me is a very fair point, however i think its fair to say 10 years ago we were all a lot more naiive.

I disagree with your assesment of 1984 and todays society a little. My biggest take was that in 1984 there was a society where children policed their parents, friends policed friends and coleagues policed coleagues. As this society gained power it became more important to be seen as someone who actively supported the mindlessness that was big brothers society and to narrow the parameters of what was acceptable.

What made this so insidious was that it wasnt big brother that really controlled society it was people willing to abandon free thought in favour of currying favour by publicaly supporting the narrowing of self expresion and marginalising free thinkers.
Big brother doesn't work without people choosing it and when we choose to persecute people for daring to make jokes or think thoughts outwith the accepted norms we are heading towards exactly what orwell predicted. We are rewarded with facebook likes for outing people who speak outwith the norm and express opinions contrary to the mainstream and in this world facebook/twitter likes are valuable currency for a society that lives for their online reputation. Thats creepy, thats communist east germany/1984 and we are voluntarily choosing it for ourselves with every incident like this.

Just as an aside, anyone who has never read 1984 should, it is a surprisingly easy read for such an insightful, deep book.

You could apply the same interpretation to McCarthyism.
There's a reason "Big Brother" became synonymous with state surveillance.
I liked 1984, but I don't see that totalitarianism in modern society in any significant fashion.
As dystopias go, I think Huxley was closer.
An oldie but goodie:

orwell_vs_huxley_by_rebelofgod-dag3j06.jpg

Back