Social ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ 1&2 director fired by Disney for saying he likes little boys.

I hate that people apply modern morality and have this notion of unclensable sin for shit like this. I hate that people judge the acceptability of a joke on whether it is funny or not. I don't find his tweets funny, but it's clearly said in jest.

But, this is the world of fragility we live in. The entitlement of needing others to change because I'm offended is all the rage.

I want to joke that it's because we're all child molesters, but I might get fired.

It's too easy to go after this guy. It's that opportunistic moral high ground shit that I can't stand, and I hate when I fall for it myself.

Just to give an example:

It's way creepier to me when people complain too loudly about the way kids dress than it is to hear people making crude jokes about abusing them. Yet, the person complaining suspiciously will be praised until it gets really uncomfortable, while the person making the joke will be vilified.

This is one of the ways that so many family members and authorities get away with abusing kids. They just have to be over-the-top indignant, make sure to string up a few witches now and then, and they're free to abuse without being caught for a long time.

This guy may or may not be an abuser. He has a couple of associations that can be made to sound suspicious, but there's not actually anything there. So until people produce something real, the probability that he is just a crude ass is overwhelmingly likely.

In a sense, I see this as kind of an IQ test, and also a test of integrity. If people are taking the position that the company should/could just cut ties with him because they don't want to associate with this, that seems reasonable. But I think they cede too much ground. It's time to stop retreating and dig in.

Do you really think this is a case of "opportunistic moral high ground"?

It make me impulsive and pedantic, but I don't see it as either opportunistic (because it's not on an issue where public opinion shifts) or moralistic (in that it doesn't convey any moral status outside of the moral norm) in the way that a lot of other things are: for instance, the righteous and reductive indignation in the thread about the toddler being almost hanged and the insistence that insanity defenses are immoral, or (and this is my favorite one) the knee-jerk scorn when you question the heroism of a person in the US military or say (as I often do) that you don't respect them any more than a janitor or cashier.

People in here that are outraged at him being fired are acting like he's being crucified. He got fired, not locked up. Disney has an image to maintain and they work with kids. No shit they don't want to associate with someone who makes jokes like these. It has nothing to do with people being snowflakes. Nothing wrong with their decision whatsoever, and they can choose to do business with whomever they want.

Do you really think this is a case of "opportunistic moral high ground"?

It was Cernovich and Pobsbosicbiec that got riled up about the tweets to start ... so yes?

It was Cernovich and Pobsbosicbiec that got riled up about the tweets to start ... so yes?

Holy shit, is that second word a name? What a nightmare.

And, yeah, if true then that is a good point in favor of the argument lol

This is one of the ways that so many family members and authorities get away with abusing kids. They just have to be over-the-top indignant, make sure to string up a few witches now and then, and they're free to abuse without being caught for a long time.

It's time to stop retreating and dig in.
Solid points.

So what you're saying is that you're a snowflake who draws lines with jokes?

How utterly 21st century liberal of you. I'm with Matt Stone and Trey Parker. If you start drawing lines with humor, you never stop. This story is crystal-clear evidence of that truth. Liberals led us astray.

Time to right the ship.

Liberals aren’t the only ones who play this game tho.

It’s one big shit sandwich and everyone’s gonna have to take a bite..

Say stupid shit, win stupid prizes. Its as simple as that, really.

Also, when are these idiots going to learn that when your big break comes, you clear your social media history with a nuke. That shit will ALWAYS come back to haunt you in the end.

lol

Ain’t no way to nuke that site from orbit dude. There will forever be some motherfucker out there in the weeds with a screen shot after you tap ‘send’ or ‘submit’..

People in here that are outraged at him being fired are acting like he's being crucified. He got fired, not locked up. Disney has an image to maintain and they work with kids. No shit they don't want to associate with someone who makes jokes like these. It has nothing to do with people being snowflakes. Nothing wrong with their decision whatsoever, and they can choose to do business with whomever they want.

Very true. Just sucks because they were the best marvel movies for me.

Yeah, the people making this about partisanship are weird. While I do acknowledge that just being a member of Hollywood will make some conservatives completely abandon their standards and embrace hypocrisy, that's not the case for everyone. Some of those jokes are really pretty gross.

Anyways, can't we all at least agree that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. I & II are the two best superhero movies ever, outside of The Dark Knight trilogy?

You have to be joking? Those movies are garbage

How so? Haven't seen them yet but I've heard lots of great things about them. Then again I usually think these Marvel movies are garbage despite how much people like them so I can believe what you're saying.

Yeah, trying to tie this to muh SJW PC post-modernist cultural Marxist librulz is pretty shamelessly partisan nonsense. I don't think the left is any more or any less disapproving of pedophilic rhetoric than the right. Its grossness strikes at a primal nerve that sits beneath the entire spectrum. If anything, the right is more impulsively condemning out of habitual chest beating but more condoning of it ni terms of the actual actions (if we're to take what has gone on in the Dirty South as any indication).

Anyways, kind of weird coalitions developing here on this issue, where you and myself are aligned with Madmick (although I wouldn't take the stance that a company shouldn't be allowed to exercise its business judgment - but his position is reactionary and short-sighted as per usual) and ostensibly opposite to posters like Neph and tonni.

I still love you.

Just to shed some light on why I think the outrage is fine on this but I am sure there will be future examples where I think it is over the top:
  1. Disney's image is family friendly and their client base includes children. Employees and contractors to Disney should therefore understand their customers are children.
  2. Normally I'd give people a pass on what is said ten years ago except in this instance it is pretty disturbing how many times it is repeated. There's literally dozens of posts about touching children.
  3. Normally I'd give people a pass on what they said when they were young except in this instance he was in his 40s. He should know better.
  4. By making comments such as these on social media they are public comments available to anyone. They aren't someone's private beliefs being dragged into the public light.
There's a time and place to defend people against dumb shit they do but I think @Rematch sums it up well:

Of all the hills you can chose to die on, why this one?

They're critically acclaimed and are popular with viewers. The two movies received 91% and 83% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes respectively. The first one was genuinely fresh and innovative for the genre.

Sorry you like garbage movies.

I still love you.

Just to shed some light on why I think the outrage is fine on this but I am sure there will be future examples where I think it is over the top:
  1. Disney's image is family friendly and their client base includes children. Employees and contractors to Disney should therefore understand their customers are children.
  2. Normally I'd give people a pass on what is said ten years ago except in this instance it is pretty disturbing how many times it is repeated. There's literally dozens of posts about touching children.
  3. Normally I'd give people a pass on what they said when they were young except in this instance he was in his 40s. He should know better.
  4. By making comments such as these on social media they are public comments available to anyone. They aren't someone's private life being dragged into the public light.
There's a time and place to defend people against dumb shit they do but I think @Rematch sums it up well:

Yeah, I don't question the business judgment or its logic at all. I agree with Fawlty, et al. that the outrage is kind of bogus as a political phenomenon, but I have no problem with Disney getting fed up with this stuff. I supported their right to fire Roseann and I support this as well in terms of their business judgment.

However, I don't think this conduct rises to the level of being a sufficient source of political outrage, nor do I think it rises to the level of being something that consumers should pressure the employer about. If anything, why not give Disney some shit about their wage violations and child labor shit.

How so? Haven't seen them yet but I've heard lots of great things about them. Then again I usually think these Marvel movies are garbage despite how much people like them so I can believe what you're saying.

The first movie had something, the second just played more of the same and relied in its humor which i could not stand. Seeing the directors sense of humor I can understand now

They're critically acclaimed and are popular with viewers. The two movies received 91% and 83% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes respectively. The first one was genuinely fresh and innovative for the genre.

Sorry you like garbage movies.

Wow Rotten Tomatoes and I like garbage movies that you can't name!

I'm sure Watchman has terrible reviews on Rotten yet it beats Guardian all over.

Anyways, can't we all at least agree that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. I & II are the two best superhero movies ever, outside of The Dark Knight trilogy?

Thor: Ragnarok is up there
The first Avengers
I'm a big fan of The Watchmen
The Crow (when I was a kid, I think it probably sucks nowadays as an adult)

Back