Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
lhx58

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Not matter Weidman got better stand Up than Anderson so he would KO Machida in 1 round and sen him back to LHW.

lhx58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
duquettefight12

Orange Belt

I don't see machida stopping takedowns

duquettefight12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
laleggenda27

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarn View Post
I am not sure that people are getting the OP?

Pretty sure the suggestion is that Machida does not move down while AS is there and that should AS lose again that it would make sense to challenge for the MW belt as JJ has the LHW division sewn up

And if that is the question then I say it makes sense if Machida can make 185 - he looks a pretty big dude to get down there though
Machida, along with a few other guys, is in the running for being the smallest LHW on the UFC roster. He said himself that, even when he's not training for a fight, he never gets heavier than 205-210. That means he cuts zero weight, which is why he regularly comes in well under the 205 limit. So yes, he could easily make 185. Hell, there are a number of MWs that are significantly larger than Machida.

I also think that Machida's skillset would be a nightmare for Weidman -- in a five round fight, Machida should cruise to an easy decision or TKO victory. But that all would depend on how Machida's body reacts to actually having to cut weight for a fight. We've seen many times that some fighters are negatively affected by dropping down.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #24
yarn

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by laleggenda27 View Post
Machida, along with a few other guys, is in the running for being the smallest LHW on the UFC roster. He said himself that, even when he's not training for a fight, he never gets heavier than 205-210. That means he cuts zero weight, which is why he regularly comes in well under the 205 limit. So yes, he could easily make 185. Hell, there are a number of MWs that are significantly larger than Machida.

I also think that Machida's skillset would be a nightmare for Weidman -- in a five round fight, Machida should cruise to an easy decision or TKO victory. But that all would depend on how Machida's body reacts to actually having to cut weight for a fight. We've seen many times that some fighters are negatively affected by dropping down.
I accept he is not the biggest LHW but he is certainly not the smallest and just because he doesn't cut a massive amount of weight doesn't mean that he could if he tried - add on the fact that he is 35/36(?) and the fact that cutting gets harder as you get older, I am not certain that it is a given that he drops 20lbs that easily

Personally I would like to see it as he has a huge amount of talent that is sort of lost in the LHW division while JJ dominates

yarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
laleggenda27

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarn View Post
I accept he is not the biggest LHW but he is certainly not the smallest and just because he doesn't cut a massive amount of weight doesn't mean that he could if he tried - add on the fact that he is 35/36(?) and the fact that cutting gets harder as you get older, I am not certain that it is a given that he drops 20lbs that easily

Personally I would like to see it as he has a huge amount of talent that is sort of lost in the LHW division while JJ dominates
I'm not sure why you say that he "is certainly not the smallest." He cuts ZERO weight. Outside of maybe Hendo, what LHW could weigh in at 202 without cutting? But like I said, who knows how his body would react to actually cutting. It's possible that his gas tank would be ruined or that he would come in slower and weaker. But like you, I'd certainly like to see him try. MW has been dreadful for so long that it'd nice to see some new talent in the division. Then again, I'd also like to see him rematch Jones, but something tells me that the UFC has no desire to give Jones any rematches - but if he gets by Gus and Glover, he'll likely go on the rematch circuit.