Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
Koljan

White Belt

vCash: 500
They already sort of did it a couple of times.

There were a couple events where the title and #1 contender fight were in the same night, one under the other. This means that if anyone gets injured, the lower tier gets bumped up.
I think they actually put it to practice also, didn't they?
With WW I think, and HW at a point in time. 3 Fights in same weight class, top tier gets injured, co-main fighter gets pulled into main, main carder gets bumped to co-main.

Cant remember which event it was though.

Koljan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #32
Thy

Red Belt

you'd have nto pay the stand in fihgter regardless to if he fihgts or not is why.

Thy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #33
elzar

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPiePusher View Post
Then you'd have a top 5 fighter go into training camp for a title fight, and not fight in the end - horrible waste. Camp is grueling yo, so I'm imagining that title fight camp is grueling x 5 + cutting weight (hard and unhealthy), for no fight at all, and if Dana wanted to give that fighter a fight anyway to reward him with going through camp, that would mean that another top 5-10 fighter would have to go through camp. It would just be cruel.
yeah it makes no sense. you can only train and peak for a 3 or 5 round fight so many times in a year before you're over training and wearing your body down.

and then how much does the ufc pay the fighter for training 10 or whatever weeks to not even fight in the end? any fighter who put up with the camp and paid all the expenses a camp requires would want a full purse (and they'd never have the possibility of winning the bonus either--not a great deal).

so yeah, it doesn't make sense. better for dana and co. to call around when a fighter pulls out and find out who among better guys are in shape and not getting fat on a cruise and whatnot.

elzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #34
Rag1ngBull

White Belt

I usually don`t write comments and you can see that since that`s my first one... but that`s just the stupidest thing ever

Rag1ngBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Jocke

Brown Belt

vCash: 396
Because it's a huge waste of time for said fighters, especially when fights falling out so close to fight date isn't really all that common.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #36
ElusiveRiddum

Purple Belt

vCash: 580
Occasionally when there's a title fight they schedule another fight on the card that features a top 15 guy in the same weight class (as the title fight). They should just do it for every title fight. So if someone in the main event gets injured, they can just call up the top 15 guy.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #37
Degen Gambler

Brown Belt

vCash: 6835
Chael Sonnen has this covered for LHW and MW.

Degen Gambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #38
CobraKia

Orange Belt

this is a fan-biased question when u have contracts n champs that wont take fights plus the schedule would always be open ended. it causes too much choatic varibles...sounds great but not even close to practical

Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #39
hadrian999

Green Belt

if i were a fighter near top of the pack I wouldn't prepare for a fight without getting paid, being on call would not only put you through the grueling fight training process but takes you out of circulation for upcoming fights.