Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #111
DysDave

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post
Cain to me is more like Hendo than Cormier in style though, Brock got the chance to take him down and fence clinch him when he was looking to chase him down aggressively standing, he didn't purely outwrestle him.

The whole idea of Brock just plowing thought anyone was ultimately the same thing we heard with Coleman and Kerr years before.
Yeah, fair point. I do think Brock was a little different though, I think he suffered from a lack of real drive.

Look at his career- very successful collegiate wrestler, scrapped that and went for pro-wrestling. Did that for a few years, got bored and decided he wanted to try out for the NFL. Did pretty damn well for a guy with no experience, decided he wanted to try something else out- went into Japan and started wrestling again and fighting. Decided he could cut it in the UFC, and went straight for the top with every fight- no building himself up.

The guy has a constant desire to prove he can do something, and once he achieves moderate success- seems to lose interest. He doesn't have that overwhelming desire that champions need.

When DC transitioned from wrestling to MMA, he went all-out. He put his same work ethic he applied to wrestling into MMA, and it shows in his striking development. He didn't do it as a bit of a lark to see if he could cut it, he treated it as a career shift. I don't think Brock saw MMA as a career shift, more a bit of fun. I do believe he'd have been a scary prospect if he'd gone into MMA after college and applied himself fully to it, but then again- you could say the same about a lot of people we'll never hear about in MMA. That dedication is what separates the winners and losers.

DysDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #112
Erwin
Banned

Cormier. Lesnar's wrestling consisted of running into people and using his 40 pounds weight advantage to get them down.

Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #113
CinemaKingdom

Purple Belt

Cormier obviously. Lesnar had trouble out wrestling Randy Couture who had been retired for 1.5 years and was in his mid-40s.

Twitter: @JiuJitsu34
CinemaKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #114
rock2x22

Purple Belt

Depends on DCs chin (vs gorilla hammer fist) and if Lesnar can get on top immediately (power double against cage) otherwise DC by TKO

Pride Sucked, Good Riddance

Sig Record: 0-1
rock2x22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #115
TheonGreyJoy**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddleofsteel View Post
We're talking about wrestling. Talking about documented tournaments.

The examples are on you. You are the one that posted the following
"not taking sides on this debate but just want to point out that many NCAA champions can be better than Olympic medalists but due to their graduation date (availability dates) never get the chance to try out for the Olympics."

Who are these many NCAA wrestling champions that didn't make an attempt at freestyle?
Come on, name some, after all there are so many of them.

Name some of the many that would have been on the 2012, 2008, 2004 or 2000 Olympic teams.

And you really think NCAA track & field champs don't have the thought of making an Olympic team on their minds? Current NCAA athletes make up a lot of the US trials competitors.
Name a few men's NCAA sprint champs that have completely avoided the Olympic trials.
ya this is truism or fact.

"not taking sides on this debate but just want to point out that many NCAA champions can be better than Olympic medalists..."

I do not need to provide examples for it because you lack the comprehension to understand. I said CAN as in 'it is possible'. the possibility does not need examples. IF I said 'are' that would be different.

Someone CAN...CAN be better than another guy and yet for whatever reason not go to the Olympic trials, while the guy who is the lesser of the two goes and makes the team.

IF you assume everyone who goes to the Olympics is automatically better than every who they competed with and who never tried out that is on you.

TheonGreyJoy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #116
riddleofsteel
The Usurper

vCash: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheonGreyJoy View Post
ya this is truism or fact.

"not taking sides on this debate but just want to point out that many NCAA champions can be better than Olympic medalists..."

I do not need to provide examples for it because you lack the comprehension to understand. I said CAN as in 'it is possible'. the possibility does not need examples. IF I said 'are' that would be different.

Someone CAN...CAN be better than another guy and yet for whatever reason not go to the Olympic trials, while the guy who is the lesser of the two goes and makes the team.

IF you assume everyone who goes to the Olympics is automatically better than every who they competed with and who never tried out that is on you.
Well, your "CAN" isn't what has happened. You are making an assumption about something that there is proof to dispute.
I'm telling you that the vast majority of NCAA champs do attempt to compete at the US nationals and/or team trials.

That is verifiable by what actually has happened not what you think did happen.
Of course, most NCAA champs could not make the attempt but that isn't what happens, so to theorize that is rather pointless.

Do you realize that the guys wrestling on the US senior circuit are mainly former collegiate wrestlers, a lot of former NCAA champs? So, the younger NCAA champs are usually competing against some older guys that beat them in college or other former NCAA champs.

Rothwell TKO Overeem in 2:19. Mitrione KO Lewis in 0:41.
Someone forgot to tell Rick Story he was supposed to buy into the hype.
Eddie who?
riddleofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #117
tec87
Who the F*** is Sean?

vCash: 486
Got Damn the Brock hate is strong in here. Look if we are talking a straight up wrestling match, Cormier probably wins 2-1. In pure wrestling, he is not going to dominate Lesnar in the wrestling department. You guys throw the names of Couture, Carwin, and Velasquez around like they are CAN wrestlers that Brock went up against. Couture was on Greco World teams, Carwin was a D2 National Champ and Velasquez was an NCAA All-American during a couple year stretch that heavyweight was deep enough at the top that you could stack Cain's college opponents up against some of the All-Time greats and they would be right there with them. If you want to know the answer to this, ask Kurt Angle. Him and Lesnar had a shoot wrestling match during Lesnar's first run with the WWE before an event started. Angle said that he had the speed advantage and that Lesnar had the strength advantage and that pretty much nullified each other. They wrestled for about 15mins straight he said and Angle scored the only takedown but he couldn't keep Brock down.

Now when you mix in the other facets of mma, then things begin to change but God some of you act like Brock got destroyed by cans in the UFC. lol

2nd YOEDBM vMillionaire
tec87 is online now   Reply With Quote