Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #1
Kelman

Green Belt

vCash: 500
The main reason I'm so thrilled about Jones vs Cormier...

...is to see how the first round plays out. I'd bet anything that round 1 of this fight is the unanimous choice for Round Of The Year, and maybe one of the best rounds ever.

It seems to me that in the overwhelming majority of cases, fights begin one of two ways. Either, one man adopts the centre-of-the-cage aggressor role and the other willingly adopts the on-the-outside patient counterstriker role, or both are happy pivot round the centre of the cage together in a boxing-like range for striking exchanges.

From seeing Jon Jones' fights, we know he likes to be the centre-of-the-cage aggressor, especially when he feels under threat. He barely took a backward step in the Gustafsson fight, he likes to pressure his opponent, back them up, use a high volume of strikes, control range, keep them on the outside, and always be in command of how and where the fight is playing out.

The things that Daniel Cormier is saying in the lead-up to this fight strongly makes me suspect that he intends to fight this fight like Cain Velasquez did in the second and third dos Santos fights - he keeps emphasizing that he will "go forward", "get in Jones's face", "make it a fight", etc etc. I think he saw just how successful and dominant Cain was vs an excellent striker in JDS by controlling him against the cage and mixing in takedowns, and plans to do the same to Bones, who he probably can't beat from the outside in a striking battle.

Therefore, round 1 could very well be both guys meeting in the centre of the cage, DC bulling forward constantly and trying to trap Jones, but Jones pivoting and unleashing strikes aggressively to try and get DC on the backfoot and totally offset his gameplan.

War is coming.

Kelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
The Green Lantern
Beware My Power...

More like snoozefest of the year.

DC is going to make it look easy and LnP his way to the easy UD.

With this much hype, this fight can do nothing BUT disappoint.

The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
crlkllr

Brown Belt

A few jabs, a bit of clinching, a failed takedown or 2.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
RoninJin

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post

just the differ...Jones is going to come out aggressive and jab and kick at DC. The seconds DC tries for those hooks, Jones lengthy ass is out of the way. Clinch would probably be neutral. TD is where it would be most competitive. DC was never taken down in mma, never been on his back. Jones was taken down a couple of times by Gus but didn't stayed there long. DC has shown to slowed down toward the end rounds with Mur, Nelson, and Barnett. Jones has been seen to upped the strikes as seen against Glover and Gus.

RoninJin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
Forever Young
Yo Soy Das Ubermensch

Cormier isn't going to engage right away.

He's a smart fighter and isn't going to get close to JBJ until he finds an opening.

With Jones length and speed, there are very few openings.

50-45 Jones. Staggering striking margin.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
BMFOAT67

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelman View Post
...is to see how the first round plays out. I'd bet anything that round 1 of this fight is the unanimous choice for Round Of The Year, and maybe one of the best rounds ever.

It seems to me that in the overwhelming majority of cases, fights begin one of two ways. Either, one man adopts the centre-of-the-cage aggressor role and the other willingly adopts the on-the-outside patient counterstriker role, or both are happy pivot round the centre of the cage together in a boxing-like range for striking exchanges.

From seeing Jon Jones' fights, we know he likes to be the centre-of-the-cage aggressor, especially when he feels under threat. He barely took a backward step in the Gustafsson fight, he likes to pressure his opponent, back them up, use a high volume of strikes, control range, keep them on the outside, and always be in command of how and where the fight is playing out.

The things that Daniel Cormier is saying in the lead-up to this fight strongly makes me suspect that he intends to fight this fight like Cain Velasquez did in the second and third dos Santos fights - he keeps emphasizing that he will "go forward", "get in Jones's face", "make it a fight", etc etc. I think he saw just how successful and dominant Cain was vs an excellent striker in JDS by controlling him against the cage and mixing in takedowns, and plans to do the same to Bones, who he probably can't beat from the outside in a striking battle.

Therefore, round 1 could very well be both guys meeting in the centre of the cage, DC bulling forward constantly and trying to trap Jones, but Jones pivoting and unleashing strikes aggressively to try and get DC on the backfoot and totally offset his gameplan.

War is coming.
Jones definitely likes to move forward but I think in this fight he'll be a little more cautious. He's not gonna be afraid to strike with DC but he will be cautious of ending up against the cage. DC is known to fade and I think Jon will wait to grapple with him until he's already slowed down. I believe Jon when he says he wants to out wrestle DC but I think he'll be smart about it and win a couple rounds before he tries it.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
The Green Lantern
Beware My Power...

If he is serious about trying to outwrestle DC, he will be in for a world of trouble. He had better try to strike at range and keep moving away when DC tries to close the distance. It is his best chance imo.

The Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
1strikeclothing

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern View Post

LnP against JJ. I don't think so....haha

http://www.ebay.com/sch/1strike_mma/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3692

PM for http://www.virusintl.com/index.html discounts.
1strikeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Thy

Red Belt

one thing i've learned in mma is that expectations are dumb, most fihgts don't go the way anyone thinks. so i just shutup and watch now then decide.

Thy is offline   Reply With Quote