Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #51
MaTaLa
Military Industrial Complex Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthighkick01 View Post
Gus Knows whats up.

Yet Jones nuthuggers still deny Jones huge physical advantage over most fighters in the LHW div.
Love how Jones detractors nit pick facts in order to push an agenda.

You can argue that his physical proportions give him an advantage since no one has been able to attack his obvious weak link, his legs, but since they compete by weight divisions everyone has the opportunity to bring the same amount of body into the fight.

I don't think Jones cuts any more weight than Aldo does or has had a bad weight cut, iirc.

But since I'm debating your 'so-called' facts I'm sure you'll label me as a nuthugger.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #52
abracadordosaco

vCash: 500
Cormier is clearly the superior wrestler, but of course most people are picking Jones due to his reach advantage

abracadordosaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #53
Got GOAT

Brown Belt

Gus is a bad stylistic match-up for both of them. The key things here being speed and movement, which Gus is very quick and uses his movement a ton. Like Machida, he has both of these advantages over just about every opponent he'll face in his division. Speed kills and movement helps with avoiding his opponent's offense and them getting takedowns. If he couldn't move as well as he does (being so fleet of foot) and didn't have the quickness and reflexes then he wouldn't be such a bad stylistic match-up for both Jon and DC.

When you add in his boxing ability, excellent TDD and overall striking on top of his speed, reflexes and movement it makes it hellish for his opponents to deal with. Not to compare him to guys like Ali or Sugar Ray Leonard, but both of these guys had speed, great reflexes and movement too in spades and when they used them fully they were very hard to deal with. This isn't anything new.

Gus already proved that he isn't a good match-up for Jon due to these aforementioned attributes. Against DC, don't expect them to disappear and not matter. They will. It comes down to whether or not Jon or DC can walk him down and cut off the cage which won't be easy against a guy as quick on his feet as Gustafsson.

1-0 in account bets
2-0 in sig bets
Got GOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #54
Toco

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeliankoFan1 View Post
That would be the same for any fighter with a reach and height advantage including Gus.

No one claims that height and reach(if you know how to use it) do not aid in anything but most of us say its not as huge as some of you like to make it out to be. If it was the case, than Overeem would have ruled the LHW division a long time ago.

Height and reach can be a huge hindrance if you dont know how to use it or someone is more effective with their body type than you are using that advantage. Being short and stocky also have advantages but only if you know how to use them. One of those advantages are a lower center of gravity which will make it almost impossible for jones to take Cormier down.

Because of cormiers short height, jones will have an almost impossible time getting him down. If Cormier was jones physical height, jones would have a much easier time getting Cormier down because of the higher center of gravity.
y but overeem is a mediocre fighter

Toco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #55
faustian
RESPECT THO

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadordosaco View Post
Gus beats either one so it doesn't matter, but I'd rather see him fight Jones
lol he already lost to Jones. And DC would besmirch Gus pretty easily tbh

faustian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #56
jban

Brown Belt

Cormier is listed at 5 foot 11, but he is only a legit 5 foot 10. Hendo is listed at 5 foot 10.5, and Cormier was a tad shorter. Cormier at 5 foot 10, and a reach of 72.5 inches will have a hard time closing the distance against Jones. I think Jones picks him apart and beats him in decisive fashion. Cormier beat a natural MW in Hendo and Pat Cummins at 205.

Cormier did not overly impress me against Roy Nelson and Frank Mir. Dana said the Mir fight sucked and he expected more from Cormier in the Nelson fight. I think Cormier is a very good fighter, but i just feel Jones will be too much for him. Should be a great fight.

jban is offline   Reply With Quote