Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
opl

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
That is exactly how I scored it.....I think if Hendricks would have poured in on in the last round he would have had it....but he seemed to think he already had it & tried to coast....Gsp put him down twice & outstruck him backed him up almost the entire round.....that is what the judges seen & I agree....Johnny should have fought right thru to the bell but he got cocky & over confident...
Hendricks was so confident and cocky that he was singing just before the start of the 5th RD. Who does that? Even in the other pro sports, players are told by their coaches do not celebrate until the game is over. Yeah sure they celebrate when there's only a minute or two left in the game but that's because they can see the score on the scoreboard that says they are leading by 3 TDs. Not sure what Hendricks was thinking but I'm pretty sure he didn't know what's on any judges' scorecards. Instead of blaming the judges, Hendricks should blame himself.

opl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
wellz6

Brown Belt

Am I the only one who feels Hendricks was coasting through the 4th and 5th round? I wanted Hendricks to win, I thought Hendricks did enough to win, but with that being said, I thought the fight was close and I do not think GSP's win was a robbery by any means. Sure, Hendricks did more noticeable damage by looking at GSP's face. But I kept thinking to myself during the last 2 rounds that Hendricks needs to be more active, throw more punches to really seal the deal because it appears he may have thought he had the fight in the bag so he was simply coasting from there on out and you cannot take risks like that when it comes to judge's decisions. Even if GSP's jabs weren't hurting Hendricks, many of them were still landing and in the judge's eyes that counts. Hendricks punches were effective...when they landed, but it appears he wasn't throwing much the last 2 rounds and appeared to get a little frustrated maybe because he was having a little trouble connecting because of his shorter reach. Personally I just feel Hendricks could have been a little more aggressive if he wanted to assure a judge's decision in his favor.

wellz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
Team Sleep

Purple Belt

vCash: 16662
Dude Hendricks won 4-1, 3-2 at absolute worst. Not a single fucking person has made a reasonable defense for giving GSP any other rounds but 3 or 5.

And I still thought 3 was Hendricks, even with GSP outstriking him numerically, Hendricks was popping GSP with hard shots, just fewer than in previous rounds and not being hit cleanly.

It's not even remotely fucking reasonable to say GSP won that fight. Not at all.

I had fucking money on GSP and I am upset. It's that bad of a fucking decision.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #14
Team Sleep

Purple Belt

vCash: 16662
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellz6 View Post
Am I the only one who feels Hendricks was coasting through the 4th and 5th round? I wanted Hendricks to win, I thought Hendricks did enough to win, but with that being said, I thought the fight was close and I do not think GSP's win was a robbery by any means. Sure, Hendricks did more noticeable damage by looking at GSP's face. But I kept thinking to myself during the last 2 rounds that Hendricks needs to be more active, throw more punches to really seal the deal because it appears he may have thought he had the fight in the bag so he was simply coasting from there on out and you cannot take risks like that when it comes to judge's decisions. Even if GSP's jabs weren't hurting Hendricks, many of them were still landing and in the judge's eyes that counts. Hendricks punches were effective...when they landed, but it appears he wasn't throwing much the last 2 rounds and appeared to get a little frustrated maybe because he was having a little trouble connecting because of his shorter reach. Personally I just feel Hendricks could have been a little more aggressive if he wanted to assure a judge's decision in his favor.
Not at all coasting... he coasted through 3, fought his ass off for 4 and was dog tired in the 5th. GSP may have done enough to pull the 5th round due to that last second take down.

His corner wasn't saying to coast... they said that belt is yours GO AFTER IT. And GET MEAN.. if he wasn't already getting mean, what the fuck was mean?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
TheMadHatter

Black Belt

There is a reason why GSP's face looked the way it did and why Hendricks looked how he did when the fight was over. Hendricks could have arguably won the first 4 rounds, winning round 3 if you use the Machida vs Davis fight for a judging example. I had rounds 1,2 and 4 clearly for Hendricks. He landed more strikes in the first. Hurt GSP multiple times in the 2nd and completely dominated the 4th. How this fight did not go to him is beyond me.

Member of The Sherdog Wet Shaving Gentlemans Club
TheMadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Gigaton Punch

vCash: 300
There are always outliers. There was a few idiots (including an official judge) who scored MacDonald vs. Lawler for Rory in a fight that Robbie CLEARLY won.

Just like Machida vs. Shogun, the sheer amount of score cards in favor for one fighter should tell you something.

Am I shocked the point fighting king was favored by the judges? Of course not. He won a round on the score cards a couple fights ago vs. Condit where he got knocked down and nearly finished just because he got a take down and landed a few strikes that did no damage whatsoever. His fans defended that too with 'he controlled the round for a longer portion of time'.

Gigaton Punch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
youngsteinel
Out Here

vCash: 50
Considering pretty much every major MMA media outlet choose Johny and 75% of this website, I would say it wouldn't be as controversial. The majority thinks he won. It isn't even close.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
RedRocket44

Green Belt

I don't think you need to beat the champ convincingly to take their belt - this fight proves that even though Hendricks didn't get the win. All it would have took is 1 more judge to score round 1 the other way and he would be champ.

Controversial would be if Chael / Silva #1 went to the judges, and Silva won.

People look at the damage GSP absorbed, and say he lost, but it's been said 1000 times today -- that's not how fights are scored. No single round was worthy of being scored 10-8. I would argue that round 1 could have been 10-10 before any round scored 10-8, which would have resulted in a draw. Maybe even round 5, but GSP did get the takedowns, submission attempt (kimura) at the end, and landed some decent body kicks, so giving GSP round 5 10-9 is probably accurate.

When the decision hinges on the outcome of a single round, and the judges are split on who won that round, it's hardly controversial. That's what you call a close fight. Yes, hendricks won 2/4 more convincingly than GSP in 1/3/5, but again, thats a fault of the system, not GSP or the judges.

RedRocket44 is online now   Reply With Quote