Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #91
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Whenever I have heard this term it's just been used as a poor excuse for a bad decision. If you are the champion you don't get a handicap, MMA isn't golf or bowling and if you're the better fighter you don't need to have a built in advantage.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alverez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #92
georgwilhelm**
Banned

If Hendricks didn't coast but has nothing left, as many claim, it simply was his lack of cardio or whatever - instead of bad cornering, lack of mindset - that cost him the fight. In thios case, the better (conditioned) fighter won. No excuses needed.

georgwilhelm** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM   #93
Sherm

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaungotti View Post
Nice post, TS. I will dispute one thing though. I truly don't believe that Johny coasted in the last round. I really just think that's all he had left. It looked like he was being relaxed and casual because of the smile but I think the dude was tired.
Then why was he bouncing around, doing that idiotic thing with his mouth before the round? Then after the round he raised his arms and ran around and was acting like "WE SHOCKED THE WORLD!!" Those aren't the actions of someone who has given it all he's got because he's worried about the judging.

The way Hendricks has been acting from the 4th round until the present second indicates that he's totally high on himself and will probably take his next fight as lightly as he took the final round of a championship fight.

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #94
Cooliox

Brown Belt

What bullshit are you guys being fed?

He ran out of steam since the end of the 2nd round. "punching 70%" my ass... he was going for broke. That's why he barely threw a punch a in the 3rd round. Even when did, as Rogan picked up- the pop just wasn't there anymore.

It was going to be an easy win for GSP. But he tripped in the 4th round and Hendricks stole it with GNP.

GSP also tagged him with a big right in the 5th that knocked him off-balanced, and took him down with ease.

Hendricks was gassed. Guys that were here live all picked it up.

It wouldn't even be an issue if GSP didn't fall down. He was winning round 4 convincingly before that.

That's where most of the damage was done, that GNP sequence.

Cooliox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #95
Cooliox

Brown Belt

Hendricks comes out to talk shit at the post fight conference and everyone believes what he says blindly as if he was a prophet.

Come on guy. We all saw him tire midway through the fight.

Cooliox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #96
georgwilhelm**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooliox View Post
What bullshit are you guys being fed?

He ran out of steam since the end of the 2nd round. "punching 70%" my ass... he was going for broke. That's why he barely threw a punch a in the 3rd round. Even when did, as Rogan picked up- the pop just wasn't there anymore.

It was going to be an easy win for GSP. But he tripped in the 4th round and Hendricks stole it with GNP.

GSP also tagged him with a big right in the 5th that knocked him off-balanced, and took him down with ease.

Hendricks was gassed. Guys that were here live all picked it up.

It wouldn't even be an issue if GSP didn't fall down. He was winning round 4 convincingly before that.

That's where most of the damage was done, that GNP sequence.
That's quite possible. But it wouldn't change anything, in this case GSP would have beat him even more clearly. I was giving Hendricks the benefit of the doubt and thought his mindset or corner cost him the fight. If it was his cardio that cost him the fight, I wouldn't even see the point of an immediate rematch. And of course, the way GSP finished, it shows he could not have been beat up so badly in the previous rounds.

georgwilhelm** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #97
dmtpanic

Purple Belt

I think coasting is a solid strategy if fighters could actually rely on scoring. The problem is 10-8 rounds are rare. Fighter A could dominate a round, Fighter B could win a close round, and the judges will score both rounds 10-9 even though Fighter A won his round by a wider margin.

dmtpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #98
Goon Dog
Furio Belt

As always, said best by Slick Ric

Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #99
georgwilhelm**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Dog View Post