Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
TheCanadianGuy

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
I think Josh Thomson will win a unanimous decision.

Bobby Green is talented, but Thomson has proved he's an elite competitor after those close fights with Melendez & Henderson.

TheCanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #22
LesnarHeadKick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElectra View Post
The Kawajiri fight was suspicious? lol. No, throughout all combat sports there are examples of fighters starting their careers slowly and making significant improvements, so even becoming genuinely great fighters. Should Green be expected to beat Thomson? No, but writing him off because he lost some fights to lesser known fighters when he was coming up is asinine.
I get fighters can improve, but when has a fighter with as many losses to low competition as Bobby Green improved to a point of consistently beating top 5 fighters.

Yeah there are Matt Browns, Michael Johnsons, and Mizugakis, but they will never be champions outside of a lucky fluke wins

LesnarHeadKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
JayElectra
Paper Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesnarHeadKick View Post
I get fighters can improve, but when has a fighter with as many losses to low competition as Bobby Green improved to a point of consistently beating top 5 fighters.

Yeah there are Matt Browns, Michael Johnsons, and Mizugakis, but they will never be champions outside of a lucky fluke wins
Azeredo and Takase (even Chonan, though, Chonan was a decent fighter) look like pretty terrible losses in retrospect for Anderson Silva. Enson Inoue, Valentijn Overeem, and Mikhail Ilyukhin aren't exactly elite fighters for someone like Randy Couture to lose to. Matt Brown is in a title eliminator at the moment and he has far more losses than Bobby Green. I can go through countless boxers who picked up some losses early in their careers against questionable comp before becoming elite fighters later on. It's not as if Bobby Green has 10 losses to absolute nothing competition.

I'm not saying that Green is going to be the champion, but it isn't outlandish to say that he has potential to be a top LW.

-Diogenes
JayElectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
asdf122345

Blue Belt

Bobby Green by tko in Rnd 2.

asdf122345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #25
CoffeeAndBeer
OG from 1993

Biggest worry is age, when it comes to Josh Thomson.

Not that he hasn't looked good in his last few fights, but at some point you fall off, it happens to everyone.

CoffeeAndBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
GrAtI

Purple Belt

vCash: 726
war bobby

Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
JustinvR

Brown Belt

vCash: 13295
My biggest worry for Green isn't even that he is taking a major step up in competition, but that he is fighting pretty recently after the death of his brother(rip). I'm not so sure where his mind is right now, he could see it as a motivation or he just won't perform well, because shit like that will fuck with ya.

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis 1 Highlight vid (200k views): /watch?v=MhTD2NhrdYY
Simon Marcus vs Joe Schilling III (Glory LMS) Highlight vid: /watch?v=5nAEJKikYzc
JustinvR is offline   Reply With Quote