Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #91
Scamrock

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAgirlie View Post
Stuff like that makes me less likely to buy a ppv. "Best in the world" just ain't true when they cut top fighters for business reasons.
But it happens in all sports. Big name athletes test the free agent market. Sometimes somebody needs them enough to give them what they want. But a lot of times, they find out they arent worth as much as they'd like to believe.

Scamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #92
Scamrock

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formwork View Post
Absolutely this hurts the UFC brand. If Gilbert were to get knocked out by Chandler it would be very difficult to consider Pettis (Dana's next hopeful golden boy) or who ever the undisputed top LW in the world. UFC LW champ would be it to me, but the question as to who is the best LW in the world would remain. Any way you want to spin this, UFC's brand suffers.
Why? Who in Bellator has ever beat Pettis? Who in the UFC has ever beat Chandler? It would be no different than now.

Scamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #93
ocfightfan

Red Belt

vCash: 470
A large percentage of them do in fact lack business sense. They are concerned with what they want or think is important, not necessarily what is actually important for the UFC.

Just because you see the lions teeth, it doesn't mean he's smiling.
ocfightfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #94
MMAATHLETE

Brown Belt

post count super low

flawless victory no person can do shit to me physically lyrically hypothetically realistically
-pun
MMAATHLETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #95
MikalP

Green Belt

vCash: 487
Their business is ran under a "having the best fighters in the world" business model. They are treating a lot of their 'best fighters' like shit, hence the criticisms.. OP couldn't figure this out?

Old 02-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #96
EliteLurker

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk February View Post
This uproar about Dana ruining the UFC and being a bad businessman if they let Gil leave the UFC amazes me. How valuable do people really think Gil is? Hes two months away from turning 32, hes 1-1 in the UFC, hes not a draw, and on top of that hes expensive. Do people really think losing Gil will some how lead to doom for the UFC? In the past the UFC has lost much bigger stars like BJ, Rich Franklin, Vitor, Dan Henderson, ect to rival organizations and came out of it fine. We have also seen organizations over spend for talent and go bankrupt like Affliction, Strikeforce, Bodog, WFA, IFL, EliteXC, and others. The UFC has a proven business model that has worked for them and sherdoggers seem to think they should just disregard it and do what made everyone else fail.
The UFC has succeed because of stars. Yes the brand keeps buys for those middling cards, but the big money has always come from stars. Not to mention, the UFC has proven they can really make a guy a star.

The UFC refuses to do that with LW's though. They expect it to happen on its own, when they have proven it rarely does.

Gil is a charismatic guy and could have been made into a draw. He's not aloof/awkward like Benson, or Diaz, or foreign (which the UFC has proven they do little to champion foreign fighters.

On an individual basis it may not be bad for the UFC to let one guy go. But if they start losing top 5 guys to Bellator it will be bad, and honestly the tourney structure with the payout at the end is looking more and more appealing to both top guys and prospects alike. Because it's guaranteed fights, with a chance for a nice chunk of change at the end, something the UFC does not offer.

EliteLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #97
iknowthefuture

White Belt

I see where your coming from on the main topic but gilbert melendez had one of the best fights ever in the UFC against Diego and he probably is a pretty decent draw now... but yeah I think Dana knows what he's doing more than random people on the internet.

iknowthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote