Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #131
TheProphetAxel

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamma2012 View Post
There is nothing wrong with being a MMA and WWE fan

Guys on the WWE roster are legit athletes. One of the big new names in the WWE is Big E Langston. He was a monster DT that could never stay healthy at the University of Iowa. Brock Lesnar was a NCAA amateur wrestling champ and even tried out for the Minnesota Vikings.

I am not a WWE fan but went to a live show recently because my buddy got tickets. It was a blast given the spectacle and elite people watching. Im not going to get into WWE but I had fun.

UFC could learn from WWE in terms of promotion and sensationalism. A major MMA outlet only hurts the sport of MMA though. I don't, true MMA fans wouldn't, and those in the know shouldn't look at the cross over nature of the two having any concerns for legitimacy. Unfortunately public perception is not always fair. Grouping the 2 together only hinder and promotes false perceptions.

I was a big fan of FOX going all in for a Sports network. With their deal with the UFC, there is a legitimate chance for a Sports network that can rival ESPN that actually will sprout a Outlet for MMA in mainstream sports. The first Fox Sports LIve Broadcast gave the UFC a great deal of coverage. Its a big deal. We don't need WWE coverage on a major MMA outlet. It only hinders the sports growth.
The problem with sensationalism in terms of promotion with a sport that is regulated by a government body (in the case of MMA and Boxing) is that any bad press you acquire can be used to hurt the sport. As we saw recently, clips of rampage being a pervert were used to attack the UFC in an attempt to have it regulated further or even outlawed in some areas. The more negative press the sport gets, the worse it is for the UFC. The WWE doesn't have that problem because it is "fake" and is treated more like a tv show than a serious sports competition, and thus why it doesn't hurt them.

edit: I agree with you on pretty much everything else though. WWE should not be covered on legit sports outlets because all of the results are predetermined. They have their own outlets, more than enough presence in our culture (In North America anyway), and don't really need the assistance unless they are buying advertisement.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #132
Wormwood87

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
I watch wwe (not so much right now, but i still know what's going on there), UFC and other events if they have good names on it.

While I watch an UFC event I like to be entertained, but an event is like 4/5h and the matches are only a small part of time, sometimes not even a minute, that's why I like entertaining guys, not only inside the octagon but also outside of it, I like a fight with a good story behind and I like the dirty talk between the fighters.

All the sports in the world are evolving to some kind of sports entertainment, that's how things are now with televised events, this is not the MMA of 15 years ago.

I think is good for the WWE to get some things from UFC and from the UFC to get some things from WWE.
I know that sometimes guys do promos like the WWE but so what?I like it, and it's not like the UFC will start to fix fights, so this is all fine by me.

Wormwood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #133
SocraticMethod

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Budden View Post
It would be potentially detrimental because one of the most well known MMA news media outlets is writing full articles about fake entertainment. They re enact these things in their fake fights, how is that justification for a site that covers the real sport to also cover the scripted WWE? The UFC as a brand and MMA as a sport haven't reached the goal of being to American sports culture what the NBA is to basketball, NFL to football, etc. and when one of our sport's major websites is covering WWE for no reason other than to get some extra money from common fans, how is that a good look?
Grantland covers "real" sports like baseball, football, hockey, and basketball. It also has MMA stories from time to time. It has WWE/professional wrestling stories quite often. It also covers TV and movies and music and some of the writers have their own Reality TV fantasy league. Is that a problem? Or is it only because Bloody Elbow covers only MMA and now WWE that it's a problem? (I don't know that that's true - I don't read Blood Elbow - so I'm seriously asking.)

It's not a bad look because, as you're kind of getting at, MMA is a niche sport. Nobody but MMA fans and WWE fans are going to a web site that only covers WWE and MMA. So who would it be a bad look for if nobody outside of MMA and WWE fans are going to see it?

Lastly, and I don't say this to be a jerk, but who are you or anyone else in this thread to tell them how to run their business? You think you care more about MMA than the guys who run Bloody Elbow? You think you understand what's best for the sport better than they do? That's a bit arrogant, no?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #134
Jermei
Normal Belt

vCash: 184

Jermei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #135
Capt Lunatic

Blue Belt

In terms of in ring product--MMA is real/Pro wrestling is not

In every other term you can think of--They are identical twins.

MMA and PW are forever linked in the minds of the general public. Both are spectacles that 90% of the people have no interest in. But a lot of fans who like one like/used to like the other so there is nothing wrong with cross promotion or a MMA website running a MMA story.

I do agree with the OP that shutting down a discussion because it's not 100% sycophantic is a terrible policy, but not out of character for Bloody "Agree or be Banned" Elbow.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #136
Joseph Budden
where you at mother****er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocraticMethod View Post
Grantland covers "real" sports like baseball, football, hockey, and basketball. It also has MMA stories from time to time. It has WWE/professional wrestling stories quite often. It also covers TV and movies and music and some of the writers have their own Reality TV fantasy league. Is that a problem? Or is it only because Bloody Elbow covers only MMA and now WWE that it's a problem? (I don't know that that's true - I don't read Blood Elbow - so I'm seriously asking.)

It's not a bad look because, as you're kind of getting at, MMA is a niche sport. Nobody but MMA fans and WWE fans are going to a web site that only covers WWE and MMA. So who would it be a bad look for if nobody outside of MMA and WWE fans are going to see it?

Lastly, and I don't say this to be a jerk, but who are you or anyone else in this thread to tell them how to run their business? You think you care more about MMA than the guys who run Bloody Elbow? You think you understand what's best for the sport better than they do? That's a bit arrogant, no?
Sweet Jesus dude you are really missing the point big time.....

grantland is a POP CULTURE website, not an MMA website. They can run whatever the fuck they want. I am talking about one of the most popular MMA NEWS SITES running WWE stories for no reason.

It can 100% be a bad look because, again, this isn't a pop culture website. This isn't even some small, run-of-the-mill MMA site. Its a prominent site under the SB Nation banner that is advertised as being an MMA media outlet. If a big website promoted as an NBA media outlet started running Monday night Raw reactions, would be pretty ridiculous.

Its a bad look for the sport! If i'm a casual MMA fan who browses SB Nation or just uses google to find an MMA site, and i'm looking for one because I really enjoyed that FS1 card, good chance i'll come across BE. And when I come across BE, and as a casual fan still learning about the sport I see WWE articles completely unrelated to MMA, what kind of message does that send?

I'm not telling them, i've said a million times me or anyone disagreeing doesn't change anything. They do what they want. But as a fan of MMA I have the right to question these jerkoffs.

If I was in their position, I wouldn't run WWE stories for no reason other than a quick buck. So yes, I 100% believe I care more about MMA than some schmucks tryna fill their pockets a little more instead of treating the sport and their MMA website more responsibly

Joseph Budden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #137
Joseph Budden
where you at mother****er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Lunatic View Post
In terms of in ring product--MMA is real/Pro wrestling is not

In every other term you can think of--They are identical twins.

MMA and PW are forever linked in the minds of the general public. Both are spectacles that 90% of the people have no interest in. But a lot of fans who like one like/used to like the other so there is nothing wrong with cross promotion or a MMA website running a MMA story.

I do agree with the OP that shutting down a discussion because it's not 100% sycophantic is a terrible policy, but not out of character for Bloody "Agree or be Banned" Elbow.
In every other term I can think of?

Where is the contrived soap opera in MMA? I'm not talking about dramatization to hype a fight, i'm talking about WWE soap opera where fights are built off shit like having sex with the corpse of some dudes ex gf.

Where are the over the top gimmicks in MMA? The male cheerleaders, and ballet dancers, and wannabe rockstars?

MMA is MUUUCHH different than wrestling. They share similiarites, but calling them twins is terrible.

If the goal is to be like NBA/NFL/etc in American sports culture, isn't that 90% a big problem that bloody elbow is only giving leeway to? If we want to continue the growth of MMA, it would probably be best we erase this train of thought you are in where MMA and WWE are identical twins, especially since i'm sure you are not the only one who feels these similarities...

lmfao interesting to hear that BE has always had Nazi germany policies, thought it might have just been over the wrestling stuff. More reason to feel good about not visiting their again.

Joseph Budden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #138
Frank23

Silver Belt

vCash: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Budden View Post
I have a lot of respect for pro wrestlers and wrestling, and its OK to be a MMA and WWE fan just as its OK to be a NBA and WWE fan.

But you hit the nail on the coffin with the last sentence in the 2nd paragraph. "Unfortunately public perception is not always fair. Grouping the 2 together only hinder and promotes false perceptions." Thats the same conclusion I came to when I thought about a prominent MMA site like BE running a WWE article. It makes no sense at all other than some cheap money for the people running the site because they recognize WWE fans coming to their site. Grouping the two together literally has no positives in 2013 when the goal now is to be as legitimate in American sports culture as NFL is to football.
What's cheap money? Bloody Elbow having a couple of Pro Wrestling articles isn't a big deal. MMA organizations won't lose any sponsors. FOX isn't going to back out of their deal with the UFC.

Frank23 is online now   Reply With Quote