Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #41
Crimson Fury
Elijah Modnar

vCash: 500

So when the Devil wants to dance with you, you better say never,
Because a dance with the Devil might last you forever.
Crimson Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #42
FallonFoxGOAT
This isn't even my final form.

Location: Indianer, 'Merica. The greatest state in the greatest continent in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by partonbrah View Post
PrideFC with the sick LHW and HW tournaments. Shogun, Fedor, Wanderlei all these exciting fighters putting it on the line everytime. Fighting multiple times a night with injuries. Now every fighter pulls out of fights for any reason whereas they never pulled out back in the day. MMA will never be as good as it was with pride 2003 to 2007
What's "PrideFC" ?

Sounds like some bushleague shit

Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #43
Magnum1978

Red Belt

If they only had the rules and scoring of Pride, I would be so much happier with the state of the MMA world.

I really like the UFC, apart from the fact they need to use the Unified System, which is a curse on real NHB mixed martial arts fighting.

I can live with the pandering to the mainstream dollar by turning the UFC into a 'product'
I can live with the over the top hype and distortions of the truth
I can live with monopolization of MMA and being forced to eat vanilla UFC flavoured ice cream at whatever price Zuffa set without viable high-level alternative.
I can live with the slow death of hyped champions/contenders from other big orgs making their way to the UFC and instead every fighter simply starting at the bottom and slowly gaining hype on the stale UFC-contender roundabout. I miss the anticipation and discussions of that, but I can live with it.

But then there's the Unified Rules - and the way fighters need to fight with this system/judges in the back of their mind, and the "evolution" (or devolution) of the game due to this... Well that's a gripe I can't get over, so until the system changes (think OneFC), much of the fighting inside the UFC Octagon will just be a pale, watered down imitation of what it could be.

I understand that there are some 'pros' in 'going mainstream' (especially for the owners of the company!) but I feel as a fan, what's the point when the soul of what you loved is eroded/lost just for the sake of it. To me, its never been worth it.

Its akin to an amazing, but largely underground metal band doing away with their signature sound just for the sake of radio play and a wider audience by turning into something like Nickelback.

That's just my opinion though. I can understand why people think MMA is at its best right now, but I just loved the fighting that happened in Pride so much more, and really, that's why I watch.

*Knees to the head of grounded fighters
*Kicks to the head if both fighters are grounded
*Re-evaluate US MMA scoring

Last edited by Magnum1978; 08-19-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Magnum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #44
TRYHARD 2001

Black Belt

I loved watching the greatest fighters of their era fight in the closest thing we've seen to a street fight since the Vale Tudo days of long ago while they were in their athletic prime... and juiced to the tits.

That being said, I do love the amount of MMA I'm treated to these days and enjoy watching fighters grow and develop as they work their way up the ranks. There's something damn near every day for the hardcore MMA fan. These are good times for MMA fans.

I just miss knees to the head of a grounded opponent and headstomps.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #45
caesar

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchtan View Post
I love how people act like roiding ONLY happened in Pride. I mean how stupid can you be...
Awesome post, nailed it. Yeah every fighter today is clean as a whistle lol.

Regardless of what people say and argue about, the time between 2003-2007, especially 2005, was an unbelievable era in MMA, Pride or no Pride, it was awesome.

caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #46
Forever Young
Yo Soy Das Ubermensch

Yeah, I think everyone that was around then agrees with you. Newer fans might not agree, but, they're stupid.

That Tenkaichi spirit, god damn bushido mortal kombat vale tudo shit, fucking grand-ass spectacle that it is, did and always will make for a greater sport than the bullshit we see on Fox now. Treating fights like they're NFL games for fuck's sake. It's lame as hell. Not even authentic.

Bash the TS if you want, but I couldn't agree more.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
Forever Young
Yo Soy Das Ubermensch

And some older fans are stupid, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS View Post
I watched early days of UFC....mid days, start or pride and the height/peak of pride and the rise of the UFC to a mainstream sport.

In think mma today is at it's very best.....we have fights almost every week, complete set of weight classes and good system to gage the best fighter and match ups. Now, it's not perfect and there are faults and things to complain about, but it's the best state it's been no question by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach4theSky View Post
I agree with this. Fans have just become spoiled.

I remember having to wait 2-3 months between events.
But the point remains. This nebulous concept we have of "The Sport" might be improved, or it might not. No one can attribute any consistent set of qualities to this idea we call "The Sport", as would be necessary to determine what it is or should be in any sort of shared understanding, let alone find a way to objectively determine the betterment or detriment of those qualities.

However, anyone who would take today's "show" over the last decade's "spectacle" is a fucking retard.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #48
Magnum1978

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
However, anyone who would take today's "show" over the last decade's "spectacle" is a fucking retard.

Holy shit, I needed to be reminded.

Man those were epic days. Incredible MMA was that big. Would have been a crazy buzz for the fighters.

*Knees to the head of grounded fighters
*Kicks to the head if both fighters are grounded
*Re-evaluate US MMA scoring
Magnum1978 is offline   Reply With Quote