Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #21
downeykids

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
The truth is people like a little drama or entertainment. If Rory came out in a rain coat I think people would laugh at him kind of like Dirty Sanchez. It would however be talked about and the next fight people would be waiting to see if he wears it. So yeah if your the type of fighter who wants to work on your image and possibly get paid the maximum then you should.
There are some on here that think it is stupid because it is, but if they only care about the fights then I don't see why it bothers them. Nobody said would you rather have costumes or good fights. It's assumed these guys are gonna give it their all in the Octagon. Also, there are some that just hate people not showing humbleness. They get on here and praise the Japanese crowd for acting like they're in a library. Personally I think the Japanese crowds are the worse. I pay 200 bones I want some atmosphere.
Last there are people who don't like change. Usually your older. I actually still see people talking about getting rid of the 3 point line in Basket Ball and saying slam dunks are ruining the game. Amazing! So those same people want the old UFC back and are not embarrassing the change that comes with years in the game. They say all the time, what happened to the guys that were told to fight multiple times a night and had to pay the UFC money to fight. What happened to the mustaches and the Tank Abbots.

downeykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
Fight Professor

Brown Belt

vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank23 View Post
Fedor never had to promote him self.
Nobody knew who Fedor was in Russia before Vadim started promoting him. He also became a lot richer.

Fight Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #23
SeattleFightFan

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwalking View Post
It saddens me that the NFL community, NBA community, NHL, MLB, fill in the blank....yeah, why do we have so many damn shows and documentaries about all these sports? EVERY sport has fans that care about the drama and pageantry. Every sport wants to know about beefs and real rivalries. It makes them invested. So the thrill of the fight is bigger. Not sure why this suprises anyone.
keep telling yourself that, and then show me the documentary where the NFL player carried an axe to his interview, as TS suggests.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
SleepyBoy

Red Belt

Location: Wishing CraveOnline would sell Sherdog to someone who cares.
I think all fighters should have an MBA in marketing.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Free_MMAson
Banned

IMO, the best self promotion for a fighter in this line of work is a few very impressive fights. That will speak volumes.

Free_MMAson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #26
Tonycpa

Gold Belt

vCash: 708
TS you don't think DW promotes Rhonda above all other fighters on the roster. The guy is infatuated with her

All the best to you and your family this holiday season and I hope you guys have a very Happy New Year.
Tonycpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #27
dmwalking

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFightFan View Post
keep telling yourself that, and then show me the documentary where the NFL player carried an axe to his interview, as TS suggests.
I'm not with that. And honestly, I bet they would if they were allowed. But that's pageantry. Fans still want drama. And that's what ESPN is about mostly. That's what sports journalism is about. So it's not surprising that fans want drama. Keep the gimmicks. But I don't think a bit of drama is out of place. Chael made things fun for a while. Bad guy Jones is great. Super Jesus Vitor is a hoot. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free_MMAson View Post
IMO, the best self promotion for a fighter in this line of work is a few very impressive fights. That will speak volumes.
If only that were the case. Lots of guys who've put on great fights who still get put on prelims. They'll show the highlight, but they don't promote the fighter.