Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #61
jimbob27
Ken Shamrock Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Fighter View Post
I haven't been following your posts, so just commenting on this one. Not sure if out of context, but here goes:

if anyone doesn't think Federer is an extremely gifted athlete (despite his lack of muscle tone), then they are delusional. Some of the best athletes I know have physically deceiving appearances. Federer has amazing agility, hand eye coordination, reaction speeds, footwork/speed, etc. Those are athletic talents.

Those are important for tennis, and likely why he was able to be #1. I believe he was pretty good at soccer too.
That was my point. So many delusional sherdoggers think you need to look close to Ronnie Coleman to qualify as an elite athlete, yet guys like Federer and Messi have unremarkable physiques despite being some of the greatest competitors in sports with the largest player bases and highest level of competition.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #62
Lethal_Striker

Silver Belt

Stipe Miocic was a collegiate baseball player.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #63
MARTIAN

Brown Belt

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTanner View Post
I've never doubted that GSP sprints in training. I could train with the Canadian track team too if they allowed me. That in itself means nothing. The question is how fast GSP run a 40? Can he put NFL type numbers up for a man his size? I'm sure he does not.
I'm sure for the right price anybody could train with them. The fact that he is a professional athlete in ridiculous shape and he dies train with them leads me to believe he would beat Mitrione in a race .

And would he run the 40 as fast as professional football players that weight between 170-200 pounds I doubt it. But Mitrione weighs a lot more than gsp or any other WR, RB or safety in the NFL

Old 12-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #64
Mikeyz

Red Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitsbrah View Post
Fighters who would translate well to sports where athleticism is much more important than skill. Sports like gymnastics, sprinting, oly lifting etc.
In terms of pure athleticism the names that come to mind are GSP, guillard, romero, dodson, cody mckenzie, and chad mendes
Did you just say Cody Mckenzie? :|

cute and yet sexy

fun but not crazy

sexy but not slutty

tough but not butchy

Gina FTMFW.
Mikeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #65
Spath

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelh View Post
Shawn Jordan should definitely be on this list. Anyone that weighs 250+ and can do a back flip is a top notch athlete
I kinda agree. What instantly came to mind was when I was a kid and went swimming with my dad and his colleagues from Russia. The other russian threw a backflip off the dock and he was like 45-50 years old and like 230 pounds. That's it, I thought, all the russians are some kind of spetsnaz-commando guys. Damn.

Spath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #66
TeamTanner

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartian View Post
I'm sure for the right price anybody could train with them. The fact that he is a professional athlete in ridiculous shape and he dies train with them leads me to believe he would beat Mitrione in a race .

And would he run the 40 as fast as professional football players that weight between 170-200 pounds I doubt it. But Mitrione weighs a lot more than gsp or any other WR, RB or safety in the NFL

The difference between a typical NFL running back or receiver and an average NFL defensive end is only about 2 tenths of a second in 40 time. Mitrione was athletic enough to play in the NFL (not a lot, but he played) meaning he was on par with other NFL players physically at least. If you've heard about Mitrione in training he has been known to blow away the other MMA fighters he trains with in wind sprints regardless of size. I know it's not you who said it but GSP is not the "ultimate athlete".

Also Mitrione does not weigh a lot more than any other WR, RB or safety in the NFL. There are many WRs and running backs in the NFL who now weigh almost or around 240 lbs, just a little under Mitrione's fight weight.

Last edited by TeamTanner; 12-11-2013 at 02:24 PM.
TeamTanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #67
MARTIAN

Brown Belt

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTanner View Post
The difference between a typical NFL running back or receiver and an average NFL defensive end is only about 2 tenths of a second in 40 time. Mitrione was athletic enough to play in the NFL (not a lot, but he played) meaning he was on par with other NFL players physically at least. If you've heard about Mitrione in training he has been known to blow away the other MMA fighters he trains with in wind sprints regardless of size. I know it's not you who said it but GSP is not the "ultimate athlete".

Also Mitrione does not weigh a lot more than any other WR, RB or safety in the NFL. There are many WRs and running backs in the NFL who now weigh almost or around 240 lbs, just a little under Mitrione's fight weight.
Those WEers are also taller, more explosive, have longer limbs and train to excel in bursts of speed.

Gsp is an incredible athelete . His strenghth, speed, agility, balance and flexibilty are what gives him the edge in the UFC. Some of his training videos are good examples.