Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #341
Crispy

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Dana Fucking White is atheist, and im glad for that. At least the leader of the organization can think for himself. Religion is a fairytale for idiots who need comfort. Deal with reality noobs.

Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #342
Phoenix Down
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundmaster View Post
Wrong. I am an atheist bc there is no historical event which would need a deity to explain it.
You don't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundmaster View Post
the existance of a deity it is statistically very improbable.
Existence* And again, you don't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundmaster View Post
Just as a devout Christian cannot be 100% sure that there is no Vishnu or Thor.
Agreed. Yet, you're willing to engage with 100% assurance in your beliefs which is amazingly hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundmaster View Post
And if I have to accept the divinty of JC as a fact to 'get out of my box' I'd rather stay in it - thank you.
I never said that. You guys have been creating straw man arguments and lying so many times I've actually lost count of how often I've had to correct the shit you guys are saying.

In this case I never said you had to accept the divinity of Christ as fact, I said you'd have to accept the fact you don't know 100% if it's false or not. This goes for everyone saying throw The Bible out the window and religion has no place in the world, etc. Those statements come from a place of absolution and knowing (ie; you know it's fake so you can dismiss it absolutely from your own life, and everyone else's) and this is the very box I'm speaking of.

It's so invisible to you guys that you literally can't even comprehend it's existence. There is so much confirmation bias taking place that no real discussion about the context of any event will ever be accurate or logical.

Phoenix Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #343
Final Rehab

Blue Belt
 
Final Rehab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: On a Trail of Woe
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterSoldier View Post
This sure got ugly fast.
Silent Bob has a good strategy...shut up and let others make an ass out of themselves.

Peace to the believers and the non-believers.

We're lost in space and the earth is our home.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+serenade&sm=1

Sorry God has not gifted me with the abilaty to embed.

__________________
All who disagree with me will reap the whirlwind of your ignorance.

The truth is always mulatto.
Final Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #344
Phoenix Down
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEDmonkey View Post
Athiesm is a rejection of the premise of god presented by others. They reject the premise so therefor lack belief in said diety.
That is almost quote for quote what I've been saying. Atheism exists in context of theism which is a belief in God. Atheism is the rejection / denial of that belief system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEDmonkey View Post
Adding 'a' to theism means without, not reject. Someone who is amoral lacks morals, he doesn't reject them.
Wrong. To assume a position of without, you'd have to had rejected it at some point. Other wise the topic has no context or basis for analysis. If there is no rejection, there is no atheism. And you can't blame someone for not knowing as you'd have to explain and then have them assume a position (for/against) for the analysis. Someone who lacks morals most likely rejected them at some point hence the now lack there-of. If I presented morals to someone and then they in turn rejected them, they'd become amoral. Without morals. I suppose you could say someone could be born amoral, but that'd be a sociopath by today's standards and not someone we'd use for the basis of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREEDmonkey View Post
And your box analogy is faulty. The people in the box are the ones who have a positive belief in the existence of a god. Everyone outside that box who doesn't believe is an atheist.
It's actually not. You're just denying the existence of an additional box. I wasn't saying everyone is in the same box, rather, on the extreme side of both fences are biased, ignorant and angry people who aren't thinking clearly or being honest about the data they examine.

Atheists, by far and large, are included in that group. It's a box by the very nature of the rejection and denial. Philosophically it's the same as fleeing from a knowledge, regardless if it has absolute empirical data for it. Most know very little about it and have never spent any considerable time with it's practice or personal application.

CNP:

Agnosticism is the belief that the true values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Theism, in the broadest sense, is the belief that at least one deity exists.

Very, very simple positions. People constantly try and drag this into something it's not and at the end of the day the basics of the words remain the same.

Phoenix Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #345
Squarechoke

Silver Belt
 
Squarechoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 11,336
vCash: 500
This is getting downright hilarious. There's always one guy in every discussion that hasn't been educated on the various definitions of atheism and how they have come to be. What several people have now said is specifically written down as definitions in works of top credibility, as well as I've heard several well educated people in the field support it, so I'm not particularly worried about some guy on the web that doesn't accept facts and apparently haven't even heard about agnostic atheism (if you haven't then you're really a rookie in this field).

It's still somewhat surprising though. I'd understand more if someone felt rooted in definitions about what a metal is, or something else that's never really been up for debate after an initial definition.

That's it for me though, people that close their eyes to black on white definitions won't change. Time for some sleep instead.

Squarechoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #346
Phoenix Down
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarechoke View Post
This is getting downright hilarious. There's always one guy in every discussion that hasn't been educated on the various definitions of atheism and how they have come to be. What several people have now said is specifically written down as definitions in works of top credibility, as well as I've heard several well educated people in the field support it, so I'm not particularly worried about some guy on the web that doesn't accept facts and apparently haven't even heard about agnostic atheism (if you haven't then you're really a rookie in this field).
It is hilarious, having to constantly correct people lying and not understanding even basic English and (or) history. Even now you don't even realize when I was criticizing Agnostic Atheism I wasn't denouncing it's existence but rather going to the source of the words to begin with.

So yes, of course I have heard of it, it was adopted in the 20th century. I was talking about the Greek origins and not the countless sub categories that have followed throughout the centuries.

Theos
Atheoi
Gnostikos

Let's be real here though man, you actually thought I was lying and fabricating definitions when I said atheism is the 'rejection' of God. I had to post three official websites that showed the actual definition before you bowed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarechoke View Post
That's it for me though, people that close their eyes to black on white definitions won't change. Time for some sleep instead.
Night!

Phoenix Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #347
WinterSoldier

Black Belt
 
WinterSoldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Rehab View Post
Silent Bob has a good strategy...shut up and let others make an ass out of themselves.

Peace to the believers and the non-believers.

We're lost in space and the earth is our home.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+serenade&sm=1

Sorry God has not gifted me with the abilaty to embed.
There is not too much to say about this debauchery and after reading the latest this morning it's been downgraded to bowling shoe ugly.

__________________
Free Fawlty!!
WinterSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #348
Gametheory

Green Belt
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap style View Post
Your dumb. He was saying he thanked god for giving him strength to beat the super Bruce lee of mma.
You're lame for inducing the grammar police.

Gametheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #349
sandbag666

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Yunnan, China
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Consider the population of China. The vast majority of Chinese don't belong to any religion and don't have a belief in specific god, let alone a creator god.

That said, I am sure that vast amounts of people who do belong to a religion, do so formally, without believing in a god in the judeo christian sense.

One more thing wrong with "atheism" as I see it presented these days, is that it seems to just ignore much of what religion now is or often is.
I get tired of seeing religion being portrayed as primarily A) personal and B) about belief Religion is also:

A form of social control.
A source of counseling and psychotherapy (by priests etc)
An excuse to socialize
A kind of economy
Fulfillment of a need for community or to be treated with respect
A source of ceremony or formality when it seems something like that is called for.
A cultural identity

And keep in mind that many, maybe most, religious people just belong to the religion of their parents. They didnt become religious because of arguments on one hand or mystical experiences on the other.

sandbag666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"