Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #101
czar2

Green Belt

vCash: 500
mousasi is not k-1 striker

czar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #102
speak

White Belt

You're also neglecting the fact that Machida is a world class striker himself. Your point would be more valid if Mousasi was outstruck by a regular MMA fighter, but Machidas striking credentials pre-date the UFC.

speak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #103
MCS
observer

vCash: 72177
If a guy like Latifi had dominated Mousasi on the feet, you'd have a point.

High-level striking competitions naturally produce some of the most technically sound guys, and guys like Machida and Pettis have done well there in their respective sports.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #104
jeremyemilio

Purple Belt

Meh... pretty clear to me that Machida has K1 level striking, himself.

Also, I believe we've seen Machida lose decisions that looked pretty much the same. That's not to argue that he lost against Mousasi. I think he won quite clearly.

But I think he beat Rampage just as clearly. So a lot of this depends on the judging.

jeremyemilio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #105
clift

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08 View Post
Yeah man. Honestly, you don't need to look any further than Anderson Silva and Cro Cop to see the proof of that. Cro Cop was slow, tentative and plagued by nagging injuries which impeded his movement and kicking ability starting from his UFC debut, but he also seemed to be completely bewildered by the dynamics of a rounded cage which does not have corners and is far harder to cut off than a kickboxing ring; Anderson always had the same techniques he uses now, but when he fought in a ring he almost seemed like a totally different fighter, shuffling forward and having people merely duck under his punches then taking him down. In contrast, he immediately began side-skipping around in every match as soon as he began fighting in Cage Rage, and simultaneously became one of the hardest fighters to cut off in all of MMA.
Thanks for seeing my point! Can you imagine a legend like Ernesto Hoost fighting in an octagon?!?! Even if it was just a striking match he'd be bewildered. The man was an expert of cutting guys off, putting them in a corner, and unleashing a Chuck Liddell like flurry of punches and kicks while they couldn't get away. If he fought in an octagon he'd have to completely change up his game, and who knows how that would translate. And he's one of the best strikers of all time, anybody who's seriously into kickboxing or MT would tell you that. I doubt he'd do very well at MMA even if he had good TDD, his style just doesn't work in a cage.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #106
DrHouse

Silver Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar2 View Post
mousasi is not k-1 striker
Which then further proves TS' point, he has K1 wins of Musashi and K1 Heavyweight Champion Kyotaro.

DrHouse is offline   Reply With Quote