Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #81
Jedi Judah

White Belt

vCash: 500
I live in south auckland new zealand (polynesian capital of the world) ive been trying to convert islanders from rugby league to mma for years now. Im convinced that with their conditioning and just overall toughness they could do very well in mma. Unfortunately alot of em just arent keen on getting punched in the face on a regular basis lol im tongan by the way

Jedi Judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #82
glowbo

Yellow Belt

have there been any fighters from tonga? they are officially the largest people on earth!
maoris, in general, are not a big as samoans, in case the OP mentioned them thinking they were very large.

oh, i just posted this and its directly under a post about tongans! didn't know.

glowbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #83
Suan Parades**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbo View Post
have there been any fighters from tonga? they are officially the largest people on earth!
maoris, in general, are not a big as samoans, in case the OP mentioned them thinking they were very large.

oh, i just posted this and its directly under a post about tongans! didn't know.
The dude that crushed Pat Barry to death is Tongan

Suan Parades** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #84
Jedi Judah

White Belt

Not any good ones unfortunately lol unless you think soa palelei is..yyiiikkeeesss

Jedi Judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:41 PM   #85
Pancake Sprawl
WAR IGOR!!!11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojka View Post
Samoa has exactly 0 olympic medals. They are often tough because of their culture, but their athletic prowess is overrated.
That doesn't mean there wasn't ever a Samoan Olympic medalist. Duke Kahanamoku is of Hawaiian descent and he won a gold medal and several other medals in the Olympics in several different sports.

Valerie Adams is a 6'4 260lb FEMALE world shotput champion who won 2 gold medals she is half Tongan.

Greg Louganis won 2 gold medals in springboard and he is half Samoan.

Paea Wolfgramm won the silver medal in boxing for Tonga.

These are just the people I remember, there is most likely many I forgot or don't even know.

The Polynesian countries like Samoa and Tonga never win the world cup either in rugby but that's due to lack of discipline and not athleticism. A lot of the guys on the best teams are of Polynesian descent.

Just like some of the top players in the NFL are Polynesians. The athleticism is there, they just need the guidance and discipline to stick with it.

that, in my opinion of course, is what holds Polynesians back more than anything else.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #86
SewerPirate

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyalyolayal View Post
i think they're great.

It was weird when they stopped calling them that.