Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #51
BigGulp
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docile View Post
LOL, what a hater. As if the man who just lost his brother was at the top of his game. But hey, making excuses for the guy you were rooting for and discrediting the successful fighters performance is what imbeciles do right? Spot on dude.
I'm a realist. Green has skated by two guys somewhat relevant. One on his way out, the other who said he was going to retire a fight ago. I wasn't rooting for either guy, but i liked how the UFC gave Green the shot at Thomson, we need to see way more of that.

That's how you build stars. But he didn't win me over, i think alot of people hate Thomson for one reason or another and like to view that fight through rose colored revisionist lenses. The way the nuthuggers are painting that fight, it was some heroic, epic success story filled with drama and bromance. I saw a crappy fight that was scored wrong. The only success Green had that night was drawing the attention of the judges to himself by pantomime.

BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #52
Docile
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGulp View Post
I'm a realist. Green has skated by two guys somewhat relevant. One on his way out, the other who said he was going to retire a fight ago. I wasn't rooting for either guy, but i liked how the UFC gave Green the shot at Thomson, we need to see way more of that.

That's how you build stars. But he didn't win me over, i think alot of people hate Thomson for one reason or another and like to view that fight through rose colored revisionist lenses. The way the nuthuggers are painting that fight, it was some heroic, epic success story filled with drama and bromance. I saw a crappy fight that was scored wrong. The only success Green had that night was drawing the attention of the judges to himself by pantomime.
You can go on all you want, but the way you close your argument still reeks of hate. When two fighters with a wrestlingbase who have both learned great striking defense face eachother, it's often gonna come down to who has the iniative throughout the fight, Green was clearly the more active fighter and he had his defenses ready whenever thompson attacked.

I haven't seen anyone claim it was a barnburner or that Green clearly outskilled thompson. However, he was clearly the more effective fighter. Add to that the fact that he's young and on his way up with plenty of fresh challenges ahead, and I don't see how anyone can complain about the decision.

Just take a step back and look at how your posts scream 'jimmies rustled' and stop disrespecting the guys who put their health on the line for your entertainment.

__________________
23/43 successrate
Docile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #53
LesnarHeadKick
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Because Green obviously lost that fight and the UFC knows that too and gave him a step down in competition.

LesnarHeadKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #54
xP

Black Belt
 
xP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,293
vCash: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfsHowl View Post
is there anyone that can rank fighters that most people can "that's not bad" about? No.

Everyone disagrees. The media are no more or less competent than any of us at ranking fighters.
no, they're bad. I get what you're saying but they've made some terrible rankings. Much worse than that.

__________________
"In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived. "
xP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #55
TheWolfsHowl
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by xP View Post
no, they're bad. I get what you're saying but they've made some terrible rankings. Much worse than that.
And I'm sure that if you gave it your best and ranked the top 15 in each division, there would be people on here that would say the UFC's rankings are better than yours, or the Sherdog rankings are better, or their own are better.

My point is it's pretty subjective and while the UFC manipulates the rankings to suit their needs at times, it's generally not a major reach.

An example:

We all knew that Hendo didn't really belong in the top 5 and would most likely have trouble with anyone in the top 10 (or even 15, if we're being honest...but I'm too much a fan of Hendo to admit that ) but he was ranked that high because of his wins and relative lack of losses to people outside the top 5. DC showed him what's what, and now DC has a claim to a top spot because of his win over former #5 ranked Hendo, who shouldn't have been ranked that high to begin with.

But while we might all have ranked Hendo lower, it was baseless in terms of who he lost to. His fight with Machida was a snoozer, but he actually held his own against a legit top 3 guy. He got KO'd by Vitor, who is top 3 in 2 weight classes. Ranking him at #5 is actually arguable.

But we all knew he wasn't really deserving of that top spot. We all knew going into the DC fight he didn't really belong there but what the hell, it's Hendo, right?

We would have ranked him lower, maybe even out of the top 10, but his losses didn't merit that, even if his ability at this point in his career did.

My point is that there's never going to be a universally accepted ranking system, and really, at least the UFC's rankings are usually based on something other than bullshit, even when they're manipulated.

__________________
Proud member of the church of JBG and follower of His true disciples.

May He grant His blessings upon the War Wagon of Daniel Cormier.
TheWolfsHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #56
BigGulp
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docile View Post
You can go on all you want, but the way you close your argument still reeks of hate. When two fighters with a wrestlingbase who have both learned great striking defense face eachother, it's often gonna come down to who has the iniative throughout the fight, Green was clearly the more active fighter and he had his defenses ready whenever thompson attacked.

I haven't seen anyone claim it was a barnburner or that Green clearly outskilled thompson. However, he was clearly the more effective fighter. Add to that the fact that he's young and on his way up with plenty of fresh challenges ahead, and I don't see how anyone can complain about the decision.

Just take a step back and look at how your posts scream 'jimmies rustled' and stop disrespecting the guys who put their health on the line for your entertainment.
I didn't see the fight like that at all. Thomson clearly outskilled Green. that means nothing. I'm not hating on JimmyJives or Dr.DooLittle here. I'm stating my opinion.

That the fight was terrible. (It was)
Green didn't impress me. (he didn't)
Green shouldn't be rocketed over 10 fighters he can't beat just b/c he got a gift decision. (he shouldn't)
I'm Bewildered by people claiming it was A) a great fight. B) a dominant success story. C) a great win. D) a non controversial decision.
It isn't all Green's fault (it isn't)

BigGulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #57
KDog13
"I See No Changes" -Tupac
 
KDog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
Probably because Thomson was once the number one contender after knocking out Diaz, then lost a controversial split to Benson, which shouldn't hurt him "ranking wise". Then lost to Bobby Green whom they had at 13 or so at the time. I don't think just because Green beat Thomson he should leap frog him, but definitely he should be awarded a big boost in rankings. He's just starting to add names to his resume, another strong win and he could jump Thomson probably.

I mean if Faber fought Masanori Kanehara in Japan and lost, I'm not going to have him ahead of Faber. Rankings are subjective though, either way, it's a moot point. Keep winning fights and you'll get yourself into a position to fight for the belt and be number one.

__________________
HW: Lesnar,Hunt
LHW: Jones,DC,Hendo,Glover
MW: Weidman,Le
WW: Fitch,Sexyama,Diaz,Daley,Condit,Hector
LW: Pettis,Diaz,Green,Gamebred,KJ
FW: KZ,Max,Menace
BW: Barao
FLW: Benoit
W: Rousey
LI/NY!
KDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #58
DarthChen731

Silver Belt
 
DarthChen731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gina Land, NY
Posts: 13,943
vCash: 400
Cause they wanted to piss you off

__________________
Jones, Shogun, Andy, Machida, Jacare, Hendo, Filthy Tom, E. Silva, Barboza, Bendo, Aldo, Oliveira, McCall, Joe B Wan

I will marry Gina

FatneckMusic.bandcamp.com
DarthChen731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #59
Arm Barbarian

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieXIV View Post
It wasn't some blow out where somebody got their ass whooped. It was a close fight where both guys threw more smiles and butterfly kisses than punches.
lol...This. ^^^

Neither fighter really overwhelmed the other, nor the fans in this one.

Arm Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"