Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #21
EndlessCritic

Red Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji Tomiki View Post
Guys, your are missing the point here IMO. I know there were some average main events in past too, but we are talking here about EIGHT CONSECUTIVE average main events.
Yeah. Remember the good old days of main events like Arlovski vs Buentello?

EndlessCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #22
juddy96

Purple Belt

Quote:
Guys, your are missing the point here IMO. I know there were some average main events in past too, but we are talking here about EIGHT CONSECUTIVE average main events.
Those cards have a lot of good matchups on the rest of the card. Main event isn't everything. This allows for more free MMA (who doesn't love free MMA?) and for more cities to experience UFC events. It's fine by me.

juddy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #23
BionicCommando

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeharris74 View Post
Meh, those of us with more active non-MMA social lives have a different opinion.

The truth is, the more events, the more the talent is spread out. Only those delusional can't see that. One(rarely 2) events a month would bring back the excitement of 'stacked' cards.
No it wouldn't because MMA isn't a new hot product anymore. The "excitement" of MMA isn't there because it's etablished now. it's like any other sport/combat based form of entertainment: most people only get up for the big ones.

1-2 event a month would just make people think the sport was shriveling up due to less shows and less talent getting exposed (for better or worse) to the general public and/or give people less reasons to tune in for bigger shows.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
BionicCommando

Red Belt

Quote:
You have a point here.

Gotta remember that the expectations for a free card should be different from a big PPV card. It's the curse of expansion/TV revenue.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #25
jakeharris74

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessCritic View Post
Only an idiot could have such a dumb opinion.

Back in 2009, the UFC had 5 divisions. By the end of 2014, the UFC will have 10 divisions. This necessitates twice the number of events to accommodate the growth in the divisions. Simple math.

Unless you believe the 125, 135, and 145 classes are watering down cards, in which case you're an idiot for separate reasons.
Idiotic opinion, or just one you don't get, in which case.. no further comment.

You did just point out part of the reason. The influx of talent and divisions all at once, and very little name recognition. Of course, they can't get recognized without being on tv.. which poses the dilemma. How does UFC keep the interest of casual fans and semi-hardcore fans to get to know the new divisions and make stars? That's another thread.

Symptoms of mental retardation: slow childhood development, prone to self-injury, not agreeing with Jakeharris74, behavior disorders, aggression.
jakeharris74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #26
Matthew Fedler
Amateur Fighter

I look at it this way; In 2004 there were a total of 5 events, with 7-8 fights each. In April alone there were 4 events that included:

Nogueria vs Nelson
Guida vs Kawajiri
Kennedy vs Bisping
Werdum vs Browne
Cerrone vs Barboza
Khabib vs Dos Anjos
Tate vs Carmouche
Romero vs Tavares
Jones vs Texeira
Rumble vs Davis
Rockhold vs Boetsch

All fairly big fights with exceptional talent involved.

May looks like this:

Barao vs Dillashaw
Dos Santos vs Miocic
Cormier vs Hendo
Ellenberger vs Lawler
Silva vs Brown
Munoz vs Mousasi
Maia vs Yakovlev
Dollaway vs Carmont
Larkin vs Phillipou

Still as good or better than most pre-2005 cards, plus an additional 35 fights.

Matthew Fedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #27
jakeharris74

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicCommando View Post
No it wouldn't because MMA isn't a new hot product anymore. The "excitement" of MMA isn't there because it's etablished now. it's like any other sport/combat based form of entertainment: most people only get up for the big ones.

1-2 event a month would just make people think the sport was shriveling up due to less shows and less talent getting exposed (for better or worse) to the general public and/or give people less reasons to tune in for bigger shows.
Well, for me, the excitement would come back, I can't speak for everyone. I feel people need to have reason to tune in for stars to be created, and if there are very little names/stars on each card, fewer people will tune in. Yes, the cards are watered down because casuals, and even those that have been watching the support since the early 2000s don't care or know enough about the fighters on each card to tune in and stay glued.

Of course, how they are doing it now I'm sure is more profitable, so what is exciting or makes for a more entertaining product means fuck all in the end.

Those of us can bitch all we want, anyways, it is a message board for that after all.

Symptoms of mental retardation: slow childhood development, prone to self-injury, not agreeing with Jakeharris74, behavior disorders, aggression.
jakeharris74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #28
JaxFJay

Orange Belt

I'm excited for Barao's and DJ's fights

JaxFJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #29
abravo

White Belt

I like the increased number of cards this year. As long as the PPV's are stacked and has a big event feel once a month I am fine.

abravo is offline   Reply With Quote