Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
ali2013champ
Banned

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PivotPunch View Post
Which rule can prevent what happened in this fight?
soccer kicks,stomps,up kicks,grounded knees, headbutts

ali2013champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #42
Denoginizer

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligthandshadow View Post
Allow knees to the head of an opponent on his back.
Yep! It was really silly seeeing DJ knee Moraga in the shoulder while on top. There's excitement to be had with knees to the head of a grounded opponent, both for wrestlers getting on top and making wrestlers pay for crappy doubles.

Denoginizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #43
Bargey

Black Belt

Long and meaningless OP. try again

Bargey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
runfrumu

vCash: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali2013champ View Post
soccer kicks,stomps,up kicks,grounded knees, headbutts
That would be nice, but look at how many people are crying over Danzig just from last night.

Imagine the front page today if they could stomp and Melvin flattened Mac's face with a couple of them.

runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #45
Ah Man

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntbacon View Post
The problem with the analogy is that in those sports the League makes the rules and can tweak them to be fan friendly. In MMA, the Commissions makes the rules and the Leagues such as the UFC, Bellator, Invicata, etc. follow them
Well, I'm not sure if promotions can make any alterations to the judging criteria, but Elite XC had that awful stand-up count rule, and Strikeforce banned elbows on the ground (which I generally didn't like, though it did lead to a wave of ground strike KOs, because punches on the ground, while riskier, are generally much more damaging than elbows). I think it's reasonable to suspect a promotion could probably institute a stalling foul, at least. And we shouldn't discount their bargaining power, especially Zuffa's or their power if they bargained collectively. A big MMA event, especially a UFC, generates money that politicians like, and athletic commissions answer to them. I believe athletic events like MMA events directly pay for the commission. Obviously the lack of MMA in New York shows that there are severe limitations on this, but the fact that Toney/Couture got licensed when Hunt/Butterbean was once denied because the experience gap was too large should tell you something.

Besides, even ignoring any direct involvement by promotions, for all these reasons commissions have an incentive to try to make the sport more successful. The bottom line is that big MMA events are good for them, and good for their bosses. Their job is to make sure MMA events aren't corrupt, and to enforce reasonable safety standards. Beyond that, they have every reason to make fights as entertaining as possible.

Ah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #46
Shogun Rising

vCash: 50
Pride wasn't perfect, but it's incentivized aggression was one of my favorite parts.

Shogun Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #47
TruthHurts001

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by treushot View Post
Set it up like this: Fighters sign to fight for whatever the dollar amount is, just like they do now. But, if a fighter finishes his opponent, he automatically earns DOUBLE what he signed up to fight for.

But if the fight goes to a decision, both fighters automatically earn HALF of what they signed to fight for.

If a fighter gets finished, they still earn what they signed to fight for, no more, no less.

Fighters will do what they're paid to do - FIGHT AND WIN. My way, they'll be thinking less about what a 'W' or an 'L' means for their careers and more about how they need to fight in order to GET THAT CASH we all need to survive in the real world.

Dana and the company are smart enough (I think) to change their bonus structure up to make this happen - DO IT!"
I like this idea. Of course, Dana should reserve the right to award full pay for a decision like Hendo-Shogun.

TruthHurts001 is offline   Reply With Quote