Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
minicooper99

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dogg View Post
I don't think reach will be an issue for Vitor... He did just fine against Rockhold and Bisping who have a reach advantage on him... The most important thing for him will be working on TDD... And he has Rashad Evans as a training partner... If Weidman can't get Vitor down he is toast...
I agree with this for the most part. I don't see reach being a huge advantage, but I also don't see Vitor trying to head kick Weidman...he will just get taken down easily. This is going to be a very tough fight for Vitor, Chris has way more skills than his recent fights. I would give Vitor a punches chance, especially early, but we haven't seen his fight go very far lately, and he doesn't have a good track record with his gas tank...the longer this fight goes the less chance Vitor has to win. If this goes to the second round I think Weidman wins be stoppage.

minicooper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
urnotaslave23
Riding the Spiral

Location: uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedroomrockstar View Post
Of the names you listed, the only relevant comparison I see is Jones, and that has less to do with his reach and more to do with his ability to put Vitor on his back. I'd also consider rewatching the Anthony Johnson fight. While I was happy with the outcome, Vitor had the benefit of some quick standups and a gassed Johnson who couldn't make weight, and yet he was still taken down pretty easily if I remember correctly. I'd expect Weidman to pressure him and do the same. Reach obviously helps in any fight, but Weidman's endurance (and Vitor's lack thereof) will be more prevalent.
You definitely should. Vitor stuffed 6 of 8 TD attempts.

1 of the 2 Rumble got was from catching a high kick. The quick standups were definitely weird but I don't think it's asking too much to chock it up to the fact that Rumble was 12lbs overweight(in Pride it was actually a rule to stand them up if it goes to the ground for more than a few seconds when there was a significant weight difference). The fact that Vitor was able to stuff 75% of take down attempts coming from a massive, super aggressive beast whos job was on the line tells me we should be able to put to rest all the talk about Vitor having problems with wrestlers. I don't know who started this "Rumble took him down at will" non-sense but let's not spread it further.

Vitor is probably the strongest MW in the UFC right now and his defensive wrestling is vastly overrated. I've mentioned this numerous times, Couture said Vitor is the hardest guy to take down/hold down he's ever fought. He said it directly after he fought 265lb healthy Brock Lesnar. It's kind of an obscure interview but I'll find it if you like.

We can't compare Weidmans fights with Silva to how it will be with Vitor. It's pretty well known Silva has horrible take down defense. He just hadn't really needed it because his striking was that good. That's why Chael and Weidman were able to do what they did. They weren't afraid to get inside and "put hands on him". As they say, styles make fights. And if you look at it objectively, Vitor is a bad matchup for Weidman.

#1 Vitor Belfort and Robbie Lawler fan.

"You know, I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."

Paradox

Humor

Change
urnotaslave23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelinator View Post
How?

Herring dominated him all the way to one of the worst decisions in history, lol.

Anyway, I don't really buy that theory about 2 inches of reach advantage mattering much.

Vitor had trouble with strong wrestlers with competent to good standup, who mixed it up. That's the story, for most part, not any reach.
I agree with this but Weidman has better footwork, reach and distance control than guys like Tito and Couture and IMO his striking is more dangerous as well.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
NoBiasJustMMA

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
I expect Vitor to be able to hit Weidman with relative ease. He has finished a few of his last fights by headkick which would counter Weidman's reach advantage. I also dont see Vitor getting taken down that easily. In fact the only time Weidman took Silva down was when he dropped him in the last fight. With Weidman's lucky streak I see this fight happening in the US, Vitor is off of the TRT, comes in deflated and gets struck by lightning at the end of the first.
Might want to watch that fight again, he was 1/1 on takedown attempts and he dropped him as well.

MW Weidman
WW Diaz, Lawler, Kampmann
LW Gomi, Pettis, Alvarez, Khabib N.
NoBiasJustMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
fredrick

Blue Belt

Vitor can close the distance on Weidman. I just don't think he's going to stop that takedown.

fredrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
vb

Brown Belt

hendo didnt get the chance to take vitor down in their second because of the precise timing of that uppercut, i could see weidman engaging and getting caught aswell

vb is offline   Reply With Quote