Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
DizzyYeahYeah

Brown Belt

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStyles View Post
Because shit happens. When you win a title shot, and then get injured, then get put into a title shot right away against the new champion, but can't fight because of injury, it's not fair to the other contenders in the division to wait for him. The same thing happened to Rashad Evans before. The division moves on, and it can only wait on you for so long.
He should get the next shot when he is healed, the whole division doesn't have to stop.

DizzyYeahYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Miracle Worker

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
I believe Melendez deserved more the title shot anyway. His loss to Bendo was so close that it was rematch worthy and now that the champion has changed he should be ahead of Grant.

Grant's only title-related big win is Gray Maynard, who looked awful in his last three fights. Maynard's perfomance in his November fight with Diaz will show us better where Grant stands right now in the LW division.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Dutchman101

Blue Belt

I think TJ Grant would be a pretty good option. But a fight against the loser of Pettis vs Josh Thompson is a reasonable option as well, only it would took a while.
A fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov would be possible as well. A good change for both of these man to prove how good they really are.

Dutchman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
LiverpunchKO

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
i honestly think they're gonna pair bendo up with maynard. it was reported too that gil vs khabib is in the works.

"God, please grant me the serenity to accept the things that i can not change"
LiverpunchKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Arkridge
Git Rekt

vCash: 435
Grant should get his shot, if not I wanna see Grant vs. Dos Anjos. Melendez vs. Khabib is already in the works, I thought?

Arkridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Arkridge
Git Rekt

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpunchKO View Post
i honestly think they're gonna pair bendo up with maynard. it was reported too that gil vs khabib is in the works.
Maynard is fighting Nate Diaz in a little over a month.

Arkridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Kneeuinthenutz

Gold Belt

If Dana's speech about Gil winning being "bad" for Grant doesn't get Grant back very soon?

I have a feeling there is something very wrong with Grant.

Kneeuinthenutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
willin

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Worker View Post
I believe Melendez deserved more the title shot anyway. His loss to Bendo was so close that it was rematch worthy and now that the champion has changed he should be ahead of Grant.

Grant's only title-related big win is Gray Maynard, who looked awful in his last three fights. Maynard's perfomance in his November fight with Diaz will show us better where Grant stands right now in the LW division.
"Gray Maynard, who looked awful in his last three fights".
Maynard/Edgar 3. Maynard, with a two week "weight cutting" Camp at some local dojo, no sparring and pain injections up until a week before the fight. Yet we have all seen fights stopped for less than what Maynard did to Edgar in R1.
Maynard/Guida. Clay Guida was willing to risk his entire career and incur a "Timidity" call rather than engage Gray Maynard. He was perfectly willing to take his chances with Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis, yet avoided a fight with Maynard at all costs.
Maynard dropped his hands and allowed Guida free shots and nearly submitted Guida in the process, along with out striking Clay when he could catch him.
Maynard/TJ Grant. Maynard had not fought in a year and his fourth fight in 4 years.
Although "finished" by a Grant fighting with the eye of the Tiger, in just the few initial exchanges, Maynard hurt Grant far worse than acknowledged. Grant has not fought since and may never.
You are right about Maynard/Diaz. It was made to determine where they both stand.
You're a little harsh with your critique; or, you don't watch fights and are uninformed.
Melendez was perfectly happy to lose a less than stellar, glorified sparring match rather than fight with a sense of urgency. He certainly didn't deserve Ben's Title from that fight.
A top twenty Diego Sanchez win, in a fight where Gil was in jeopardy, certainly doesn't equate to earning a Title Fight.

willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
Miracle Worker

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by willin View Post
"Gray Maynard, who looked awful in his last three fights".
Maynard/Edgar 3. Maynard, with a two week "weight cutting" Camp at some local dojo, no sparring and pain injections up until a week before the fight. Yet we have all seen fights stopped for less than what Maynard did to Edgar in R1.
Maynard/Guida. Clay Guida was willing to risk his entire career and incur a "Timidity" call rather than engage Gray Maynard. He was perfectly willing to take his chances with Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis, yet avoided a fight with Maynard at all costs.
Maynard dropped his hands and allowed Guida free shots and nearly submitted Guida in the process, along with out striking Clay when he could catch him.
Maynard/TJ Grant. Maynard had not fought in a year and his fourth fight in 4 years.
Although "finished" by a Grant fighting with the eye of the Tiger, in just the few initial exchanges, Maynard hurt Grant far worse than acknowledged. Grant has not fought since and may never.
You are right about Maynard/Diaz. It was made to determine where they both stand.
You're a little harsh with your critique; or, you don't watch fights and are uninformed.
Melendez was perfectly happy to lose a less than stellar, glorified sparring match rather than fight with a sense of urgency. He certainly didn't deserve Ben's Title from that fight.
A top twenty Diego Sanchez win, in a fight where Gil was in jeopardy, certainly doesn't equate to earning a Title Fight.
We've watched far more accomplished fighters experiencing a sudden downfall in their careers. I supported Maynard in his second title fight, because I believe he should hold the belt at the time, but as soon as Edgar recovered from that uppercut, it was clear Maynard was done. In the Guida fight he looked bad. The fight was similar in style with Diaz-Condit, although far worse. I am not sure if Maynard was winning the exchanges. Especially in the last frame where he sealed the deal in the eyes of the judges and Dana by moving forward, in my opinion he was getting tagged every time.

Anyway, I think we only see the same facts from a different angle. I hope you are the one who is correct, but I'll need to see a persuasive perfomance to bring my faith back on Maynard.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
jiujitsuforever
Banned

Location: north carolina: aka most bipolar weather on the east coast
i still feel other fighters could get the shot ahead of grant. I mean he ko'd top 5 maynard when grant was unranked. that would be like gabriel gonzaga ko'ing antonio silva and getting a title shot

jiujitsuforever is offline   Reply With Quote