Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #371
PlanetMongo

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clift View Post
Rickson was the best from that era. They sent Royce in to make a statement that even Ricksons smaller brother could destroy anyone they put in front of him. They figured it wouldn't be impressive to see a guy with Ricksons physique do it despite him being so much better and experienced.
That and Rickson wanted $1 million, apparently.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #372
Sean

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetMongo View Post
That and Rickson wanted $1 million, apparently.

First time I've ever heard that. Rickson fought in JVT for a lot less so it doesn't play true to me.
My understanding is Royler was too small, even though Rorion was selling the idea that size didn't matter he wasn't stupid enough to actually believe it. And Rickson woudlnt fight in a gi and was too brutal with his top position striking. Watching a musclar tan dude sit on someones chest and beat the shit out of them wouldn't have been anything new or all that shocking to most people and it certainly wouldnt convice the scrawniest weaklings that they could learn to be deadly by buying Rorions instrutional videos.

Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American dreams (8 times)
- Rage Against the Machine
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #373
DoomAndDarkness
Banned

He ducked Big John McCarthy @ UFC 1 and was no where to be seen when guys like Coleman and Randleman showed up.

So, no. He beat Ken and Severn which, honestly I still find a little suspicious to this day. I have a really hard time believing either of those guys would be dumb enough to go straight into a triangle.

DoomAndDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #374
Moopy Mac

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 seconds View Post
Ruas
Rickson
Tyson

Off the top of my head. People will throw a shit storm about Mike but in a NHB fight, Gracie would've been leg diving. It would've been funny to see. Mike wouldn't have came with one glove on either.

And no, The Couture Toney fight isn't relevant when talking a Tyson/Gracie match, especially then. Toney had a horrible stand up style for MMA going against one of the best wrestlers, multichamps in thesport. James did boxing a disservice that day. I love boxing and rolled my eyes at that fight.
If we are talking 93-96, Mike Tyson wasn't even the best HW BOXER in the world, not to mention MMA fighter.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #375
Moopy Mac

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Rage View Post
you CANT tell, dont talk about me, or any single grappler in this world, everyone whos been on the mat for longer than 6 months knows YOU DONT JUMP BACK UP after being choked out... Royce wasnt out, period, and you dont stop a grappling match because you think the guy is out, he either is out or you continue the match. Shady gracies? yeah as if PRIDE didnt go down because of its ties to the mob....
We can't have major MMA organizations with ties to the mob.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #376
ligthandshadow

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
First time I've ever heard that. Rickson fought in JVT for a lot less so it doesn't play true to me.

The "Royce would be more impressive theory" is the story that Rorion sticks with, and he's right.

Art Davie's version is "Rickson wanted a million dollars."

He said to Rickson's credit though, Rickson had really prepped Royce for the event.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #377
James Baller

Yellow Belt

Not rickson. you cant be the best without fighting the best.

James Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #378
GUSWER
Banned

There is really no one left for shertards to destroy their reputations.

GUSWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #379
GUSWER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAndDarkness View Post
He ducked Big John McCarthy @ UFC 1 and was no where to be seen when guys like Coleman and Randleman showed up.

So, no. He beat Ken and Severn which, honestly I still find a little suspicious to this day. I have a really hard time believing either of those guys would be dumb enough to go straight into a triangle.
Oh my god... Suspicious?! Did you at least watch those fights? And he ducked who??? You are completely delusional, unbelievable. You don't like the guy, or the Gracies, fine, but spare us this huge load of shit.

GUSWER is offline   Reply With Quote