Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #141
Christ514

White Belt

vCash: 500
I seen some people have Nik Lentz as an overrated fighter. Can someone explain this? He got his ranking by hard work and has never been a favorite fighter to have people hype him up like McGregor. I honestly believe Lentz beats McGregor.

Christ514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #142
IIIBuRnOuTIII

White Belt

I'm going off the UFC top ten since I feel in most cases they are the most off in terms of legitimacy.

HW: Alistair Overeem- HW has a lot of options IMO but at the same time is such a shallow division but in no way is "The Reem" top ten material. He's lost to every legit challenge he's had and gets hyped because of a formerly long win streak, Frank Mir clearly on the downside of his career, and beating a post surgery Brock Lesner?

LHW: Anthony Johnson- Another fighter on a pretty long win streak but is no where as good as the hype that follows him. Now to this point i'm still personally shocked he beat Davis and I would still take Davis in any subsequent rematch but Johnsons win streak literally only has Davis in even the top 20 of each division at the time of the win.

MW: CB Dollaway- IMO MW 8-10 you could easily put anyone on here and have a valid argument but Dollaways resume is what makes putting him on here easiest. His biggest win is against Carmont who most agree while good was gifted some of his win streak. I will say CB is having a good career resurgence with arguably his two biggest wins in his last 2 fights but those 2 wins don't get him in top 10.

WW: Tyron Woodley- 3-3 in his last 6, beating Condit via injury as his claim to fame....not much I need to say. Perhaps if he came out with the aggression he has in the Heiron fight or used his previously displayed wrestling things would be different but as of now hes definitely my pick in this. His fight with DHK will be very telling as to his future.(DHK being extremely underrated)

LW: Michael Johnson- I definitely think he is a potential top 10'er in the future but out of the current top 10 listed he would be my choice. He has some nice wins in his last few with finishing Tibau and decisioning Lauzon but two non-top 10(Only one in top 15 at that) don't get you in the top 10.

FW: Conor McGregor- Now again im not saying potential isn't there but to rank him that high because of a KO of Brandao is ridiculous. His latest win I also believe was his lowest ranked at the time of the win so of course he should have won. He's everything for the European market that Bisping was positioned to be but let's wait on crowning him as top 10 material before his fight with Dustin Poirier.

BW: Johnny Eduardo- 2-1 in the UFC and beating Wineland. He's just coming off a long layoff and needs to prove much more to be ranked where he is.

FLW: Brad Pickett- I like watching Pickett fight personally but imo he beats no one in the top 10 at this point and possibly even the top 15. He's got a fan favorite style no doubt but I believe he is given fights above his limitations because of that style.

WW: Fitch, Condit, Ellenberger
LW: Henderson, Miller
FW- Edgar, Mendes, Guida
BW- McDonald, Alcantara
FW- Johnson, Dodson
IIIBuRnOuTIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #143
Durruti

Blue Belt

Those who pick Jacare Souza as the most overrrated at MW are trolling or are dumb.

Especially because never has been overhyped and shares a spot in the top ten with the Britstar Michael Bisping, talking about overrateds...

Durruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #144
MCS
needle movement expert

HW: possibly Browne because of his unusual against the cage elbow KO's,, but he also was overconfident vs Werdum
LHW: possibly Rumble because of his 1 great win in a good match-up for him. I doubt OSP gets in the top 5, a long win streak against middling competition usually raises too many eyebrows
MW: Larkin since he beat a sluggish Lawler who in that slump got also outstruck by Babalu. Urijah Hall as a striker. Munoz & Boetsch.
WW: possibly Matt Brown because of that streak, too. We'll see soon (fun fighter, wish him the best).
LW: Diego Sanchez
FW: Brandao, IDK what talent level he faced on TUF...
BW: can't think of any
FLW: Sadly, Pickett. Too predictable

MCS is offline   Reply With Quote