Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #41
Strychnyne

vCash: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkess101 View Post
Wow.

Amazing that people still think elite amateur wrestling creds automatically means that guy just ragdolls anyone put in front of him.

I think Cormier has a solid chance, but wow are guys like you gonna be surprised when Jones holds his own grappling.

And while Jones might not have one shot KO power, his strikes still work. They hurt enough that nobody yet has just said "F*ck it, he can't hurt me, I'll just walk through whatever he throws". He's rocked guys with strikes, both punches and elbows, and if you think Cormier is just giddy at the thought of eating a bunch of those you're delusional.

This isn't going to be a "man against a boy" or anything close. It's going to be a great fight between 2 elite guys.
What in the BLUE FUDGE is this!?!?!?^^^^^

Someone with actual sense in a Sherdog fighter thread?!?!?

Time to buy that lotto ticket!

- P.O.D. "If it wasn't for you"
Strychnyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #42
IIIIIIII

Gold Belt

vCash: 500
jones won't stuff the takedowns. i see cormier taking jones down over and over, and tiring him out.

dc via tko in the later rounds.

point-nerds: fans of mma who enjoy fighters that attempt to win fights on points-alone, that do not fight for a finish.
IIIIIIII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #43
mkess101

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyBach View Post
Cool, man. I respect your opinion but I do not agree. Very brave of you to back the pantheon of possibility.

Me believing Cormier will control the fight is not a function of his 'amateur wrestling creds' but is a function of how he has looked against the level of competition that he has faced. Do you purport that Jones will be able to hold Cormier off just because he held off Bader/Glover? People like you would be delusional enough to think that Bader is as good as Cormier just because he wrestled @ ASU (note: Im using your modus operandi)

This will be a great fight, agreed, but I just don't think it will be a back and forth war as you are implying. Never said anything about Jones not having capable potent striking, strikes that don't cause damage/pain, just said he hasn't shown us KO/lights out power, and, styles make fights.

Jones has looked mortal at times. Cormier has not. And, he has dominated everything put in front of him, while I don't see the Jones puzzle being so loftily mysterious that Cormier cannot solve it. Jones has never faced someone of Cormier's caliber and no wrestler that has so successfully been able to synthesize/impose their wrestling into their complete MMA game.

Jones is an amazing fighter but I think this is just a bad match up for him. "Man vs boy" is completely analogous and subjective, just how I feel, brah. Yes, anything can happen, in fact; anything will happen...I'm just going to have the fortitude to go out on a limb and back what I see as a likely outcome.
I can't be too mad here, you managed to work the phrase "Pantheon of possibility" into the thread, so...

Cormier looked very mortal against Hendo in the first round of that fight, plenty of swings and misses.

Cormier has looked great against the HW's he's fought, but that's him at a different size vs. guys with totally different body types. Guys who are maybe bigger than Jones, but who are slower and honestly who even at a bigger size probably don't have the functional strength and leverage Jones does.

Why choose Bader, btw? I know he was past his prime by a lot, but I think Vlad had comparable amateur wrestling creds to Cormier, right?

Again, at the same age Cormier was becoming an elite amateur wrestler Jones had already started becoming an elite MMA fighter.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #44
Boomb

Blue Belt

Meh...this will be the first time that I'll be rooting for Jones.

Boomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #45
Te Huna Matata

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofthetap View Post
Every time someone on sherdog mentions popeye's, I have to go eat popeye's.
Fucking love Popeye's.

jonasS2013 on hunting threads “You never know what you are going to get. I've seen Einstein references, Nazi references, lessons on hereditary weakness, social inequality, and a reference to gingers.”
Te Huna Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #46
5Rounder

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnyne View Post
What in the BLUE FUDGE is this!?!?!?^^^^^

Someone with actual sense in a Sherdog fighter thread?!?!?

Time to buy that lotto ticket!
Just because someone agrees with your opinion doesn't automatically make them right. That idea is hilariously facetious but it gets repeated over and over again on this site by the least self-aware posters in the fucking world.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #47
Exel

WOW that's so clever!

Except that it's not.

Exel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #48
tasticles

Green Belt

Thats great and all. I'm glad they are fighting so soon but what happened to the gus rematch? did he manage to duck that one?

tasticles is online now   Reply With Quote