Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #51
jaguarone

Green Belt

vCash: 500
sounds aight

-ENSON INOUE

ANDERSON IS THE GOAT

WAR DIAZ Bro's
jaguarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #52
fightdonttweet

Black Belt

vCash: 707
He's not a legit contender. Not yet at least. Sick ground game, but average standup and his wrestling isn't up to pad.

fightdonttweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #53
forskarn

Yellow Belt

He is too one dimensional, kinda like Maia but with a bright future. He only really shines on the ground and that's not good enough in WW (or any div). If he keeps climbing the ladder he will face someone like Hector or Rory and it'll look like Hector/Shields and Rory/Maia IMHO.

forskarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #54
ilfirin

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Huna Matata View Post
I thought he looked mediocre at best against Cummins. He lost the 1st round and got bullied by a bigger man.
OK, I just rewatched the fight, and I still have no idea what on earth you're talking about. Cummins barely landed a single flurry in the first round. Gunnar clearly outpointed him in that round. Round two was basically the same, with Nelson darting in with straight rights and a few kicks. Cummins landed very little and as soon as it went to the ground he was completely outclassed. Nelson looked great, I have no idea what fight you were watching.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #55
crlkllr

Brown Belt

I think he will be a champion.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #56
CantoX

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Machida + Penn + Fedor

Joanne Calderwood future UFC Strawweight Champion
CantoX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #57
ToetotheFace

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreorless87 View Post
If I were him I'd take something from Machida/Weidman and really look to focus on his kicking game.

The problem with those straight punches IMHO is that they tend to need someone to be moving into them to really do serious damage and that takes both an opponent leaving openings and incredible technique.

Given just how good his BJJ is I feel he can afford to take a few more risks when it comes to being taken down by all but a few(Maia most obviously) guys at WW.
Or he could take something from Machida and actually expand his feints, footwork, and kicking game. Machida landed plenty of times, yeah obviously straight punches aren't as powerful as hooks but they are much quicker and they are much more accurate most of the time. Weidman just has a great chin, great striking defense, and great footwork. Gunnar will never be as good as Machida in the standup, but if he can expand his game in similar ways, and add other techniques, he could be deadly with his elite BJJ. Considering how good he is on the ground it should be much harder to pressure him.

1-1 In sig bets^
ToetotheFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #58
emax

Brown Belt

I have a feeling if he could make the cut to LW then his chances of being a title contender would be very high. He does seem like a lot of European fighters who tend to fight a full weight class above where they should be due to weight cutting difficulties. I mean, just like at Moussasi at MW vs LHW.

emax is offline   Reply With Quote