Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #51
SenorGuillen

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetan View Post
He seems to leave himself open a lot, he got tagged a couple times. Could this be a weakness?
I think it can be a weakness but a guy with that kind of superior head movement is usually baiting opponents ala prime Anderson Silva. If you come in like Brimage, he will make you pay. You just don't do that against a guy that technically skill. Brimage paid for it. I see him as a European and more advance Anderson Silva. Meaning that despite not having that wrestling background, he has very solid wrestling defense and it will only get better as time goes on. He is that special athlete that you only see once.

SenorGuillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #52
a guy

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGulp View Post
Just judging from his footwork and stance, i would be very interested to see someone pressure him, especially with wrestling.

he relies on angles and distance to get off his crazy strikes, shut those down by getting in his face and cutting him off at every opportunity and then see how well he does.
Keep in mind he's normally a pressure fighter unless someone comes at him like Brimage did. Also keep in mind he's very good at creating angles on the other side against people who are trying to take his away on one side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofux View Post
He does eat a lot of punches. But he also has a magnificent beard.
He really doesn't. Look closely. Punches will hit his chest, armpit, shoulders and the air the vast majority of the time. When he gets hit, it's usually shots that graze him. I haven't seen him eat many truly flush shots if any at all.

a guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #53
ChucksGlassJaw

White Belt

Keep in mind that the goat Keeps his chin in the air as a way to bait his opponents. He's trying to get them to commit to set up a counterpunch. He's a very interesting and dynamic striker. His boxing is as refined as anyone I've seen in MMA.

ChucksGlassJaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #54
ShagginTurtles

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuf View Post
His stance. He stands straight up with his head high. Someone like Cub, Mendes, or Aldo will turn his lights out if he's not careful.
I believe this is only true for Cub and perhaps Mendes. Chad might rather the take down (which I think he would easily get despite Conor's wide stance) and Cub has power as well as really good angles with his power shots

Aldo however might not be smart to try and launch himself into McGregor as, say what you want about him, Conor's boxing is very top notch and Aldo has had problems on the feet from top level boxers, specifically Hominick. He was getting the better of the confrontations on the feet in their fight. However Aldo's answer for that was to destroy him on the ground (Excluding the 5th round where Hominick was getting on the edge of a finish on Aldo) Edgar not too much but it wasn't an easy fight for him

I really hope we get to see Aldo vs Conor because style wise I think it could be really exciting if it stays on the feet

ShagginTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote