Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #41
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelZane View Post
lol those fights took place when he was still young, and he used to be on roids earlier in his career anyway

old and no peds vitor = probably not winning too many fights
What makes you think he won't find other PEDs to take? The UFC have repeatedly stated they don't feel Olympic style blood testing is necessary or should be their job - they don't want to test their fighters, as they know fine well that many of them will test positive. Vitor can't use TRT now; he can still use PEDs, especially if his fights don't take place in the US - or at least Nevada and a couple of other States - which didn't seem likely before the TRT ban anyway.

Vitor isn't the only UFC fighter to have taken TRT and 'roids. Plenty of fighters have been caught out; plenty more likely benefit from the fact that Zuffa doesn't want random blood testing. It's amusing how much more stick than most that Vitor - and Chael - get for their PED use than other fighters.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #42
ErnestoRoost

Green Belt

Kennedy is unadultered dogshit. Even a TRT free Vitor murders him. It's a mismatch.

ErnestoRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #43
RachelZane**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batkilt View Post
What makes you think he won't find other PEDs to take? The UFC have repeatedly stated they don't feel Olympic style blood testing is necessary or should be their job - they don't want to test their fighters, as they know fine well that many of them will test positive. Vitor can't use TRT now; he can still use PEDs, especially if his fights don't take place in the US - or at least Nevada and a couple of other States - which didn't seem likely before the TRT ban anyway.

Vitor isn't the only UFC fighter to have taken TRT and 'roids. Plenty of fighters have been caught out; plenty more likely benefit from the fact that Zuffa doesn't want random blood testing. It's amusing how much more stick than most that Vitor - and Chael - get for their PED use than other fighters.
id be surprised if a fighter wasnt on peds

i was just saying that vitor without any peds would not be the vitor we are used to seeing

RachelZane** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #44
infamouz ice

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batkilt View Post
If you're going to include his kayo of old man Hendo, you could have acknowledged Hendo decisioning him years beforehand.

But I don't think it's the stylistic match up with wrestlers that is Vitor's problem. When he's underwhelmed - for lack of a better word - it's been more mental, imo. It's not all down to his sister's kidnap & murder - he'd already became inconsistent before then - but that definitely didn't help. But regardless of the reasons why, I think a lot of his losses are partly down to Vitor's mental make up.
I will agree that Vitor has had issues with his mental game throughout his first part of his career...

he was young kid fighting in this sport, he went through his first four fights in under a minute (except 1:17 tra fight), Randy couture fight is when he got mentally broken when he didnt win in his usually fashion, he had that same issue with Sakuraba and Liddell.

Then in 2004 his whole sister situation happened, he went 2-5 for the next 2 years and his loses were to elite guys (Couture, Tito, Overeem x2, Hendo)... I try to erase those two years from my memory, bad time for him...

Since then he improved his mental game and his overall game, since 2006 he has been 10-2 and his loses were both to arguably the two best P4P guys in the sport... Vitor has come a long way

infamouz ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #45
The Batkilt
Lord of the Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamouz ice View Post
I will agree that Vitor has had issues with his mental game throughout his first part of his career...

he was young kid fighting in this sport, he went through his first four fights in under a minute (except 1:17 tra fight), Randy couture fight is when he got mentally broken when he didnt win in his usually fashion, he had that same issue with Sakuraba and Liddell.

Then in 2004 his whole sister situation happened, he went 2-5 for the next 2 years and his loses were to elite guys (Couture, Tito, Overeem x2, Hendo)... I try to erase those two years from my memory, bad time for him...

Since then he improved his mental game and his overall game, since 2006 he has been 10-2 and his loses were both to arguably the two best P4P guys in the sport... Vitor has come a long way
To be honest, I think his rejuvenation is as much down to good stylistic matches as anything else. Combat sport is all about how your style fits against your opponent after all, and Vitor has had some good matchups in that sense. But he's taken the most of many of them with some highlight reel kayos.

One thing I'd say about the period where his sister was missing presumed dead, is that there's no need to pretend it didn't happen. That period ultimately made him stronger as a person; I know religion and the internet don't mix - and I don't like preaching to anyone - but he genuinely seems to have found strength from his faith, which he might not have done had he not went through such a tragedy. And he might not have sought out different camps and training partners had he not found his career faltering around 2006/07; it made him a better fighter in the end too.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #46
JKS

Titanium Belt

Not particularly. It's too predictable of a match up, I prefer to see Vitor in more interesting fights.

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote