Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Freeoneup

White Belt

vCash: 500
When To Throw In The Towel

So I'm sitting here at work watching old MMA fights as I always do. The joys of working from home . Anyhow. I'm here watch UFC 63, and a fighter I haven't thought of in a long time pops up on my TV, Roger Huerta. I instantly thought to myself. Wow, shame what happened that guys career. Here we have a guy who seems to be the next big thing. First MMA fighter on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Debuts in the UFC with a fight of the night. Goes on to finish his next fight. Has his second fight of the night against Leonard Garcia. Racks up two more finishes, and then here he is in his sixth fight in the UFC. Main event against Clay Guida. Not only was that fight of the night, it went on to win fight of the year. At this point he's already looking like the next champion. He has all this momentum behind him, all this hype, just everything going for him. Then along comes Kenny Florian. He drops the fight against Kenny, and everything comes to a screeching halt for him. Drops his next with Gray Maynard, and then leaves the UFC. Only to be signed by Bellator. Winning his debut in Bellator. He then goes on to drop four straight losses. Three of which he is finished in, and his last loss being a brutal soccer kick KO leaving him stretched out. By this time now he's just become something of the past. A name people rarely mention, if at all. Last I heard from him, he was in Thailand enjoy durian fruit, ladyboys, and working on his Thai boxing. So good for him.

Basically all of this got me thinking. When does a fighter throw in the towel and call it a quits on their career? How long can a fighter flirt with father time before they find themselves in a Chuck Liddell situation? The sad thing about Roger is that he's only 31 years of age as of now. Look at guys like Hendo, Wanderlei, Cro Cop, Rodrigo Nogueira, etc. All of them way up there in age, all of them still fighting. When does the time come when you say enough is enough?

Freeoneup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
GordaoPreguico

Brown Belt

When promoters stop booking them for fights. No one likes to admit that the sport they love has passed them by and some wont quit until they are almost brain dead.

GordaoPreguico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
uppercutbus

Orange Belt

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordaoPreguico View Post
When promoters stop booking them for fights. No one likes to admit that the sport they love has passed them by and some wont quit until they are almost brain dead.
Broke fighters + fighter pay needs a mention to get the thread going.

uppercutbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Erwin
Banned

When the fighter got dominated in every round and almost finished, is gassed as hell and his face is a mess meaning Cain/JDS 2 and Cain/JDS 3

Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Erwin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
When the fighter got dominated in every round and almost finished, is gassed as hell and his face is a mess meaning Cain/JDS 2 and Cain/JDS 3
Well maybe I should start reading the OPs more often.

Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
HockeyBjj

Purple Belt

Quote:
Well maybe I should start reading the OPs more often.
Ha. You owned up to it yourself at least

HockeyBjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
felmmando

Orange Belt

Quote:
So you believe JDS no longer has a future in this sport?

felmmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #8
Louth57

White Belt

the sad thing about the sport is that more often than not fighters go out too late, rarely does a fighter call it quits when looking good. Maybe Fedor did it kind of right, it was tough seeing him lose 3 in a row, so take 3 easy fights then call it a day on a 3 fight win streak. I would like to Anderson win a few fun fights then call it quits

Louth57 is offline   Reply With Quote