Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #101
dasitmane
Banned

vCash: 500
bump

dasitmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #102
CabCoola09

Yellow Belt

Why is everyone hating on wrestling because it's scripted? I'm going to see a scripted show this weekend called the Raid 2 and it's gonna be a lot better than a real fight.

CabCoola09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #103
Garnett Silk
canned

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabCoola09 View Post
Why is everyone hating on wrestling because it's scripted? I'm going to see a scripted show this weekend called the Raid 2 and it's gonna be a lot better than a real fight.
They are jealous that it is infinitely more popular and more profitable than UFC.

Garnett Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #104
The Diplomat

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokelj View Post
How can one write pre-event odds on something that has nothing to do with any quality or professional skill?
Oh, there's skill involved. It's more akin to athletic theatre. Most popular wrestlers work 300+ days a year, taking bumps and working through injuries. Ontop of the physical aspect, they have to promote their product and get the fans to invest into it. It's not an easy job.

Quote:
Do you watch the likeability of a character and base it off of that or do you look at past results and base your idea off of that?
It all depends on what the writers and bookers are thinking at the time. You can usually tell who is getting a "push" by how they treat him on camera, as opposed to good wrestlers who just keep losing week after week.

Quote:
Had it been an MMA fight and Gonzaga did a trick against a kickboxer, well that shit was actually unexpected. Watching a scripted show that could end in one of few ways can hardly be upsetting for a normal reasoning individual. And off course if you google a definition it will give a plethora of posibilities for that word. The word does fit the emotion, but finding out your hamburger does not have any ketchup can be labeled as upsetting as well.
The wrestler we're talking about has been undefeated at this event for the past 20 years, and he's now old and broken and everyone expected him to retire with that "Streak" intact. The Undertaker is a legend in wrestling.

Quote:
You first called it entertainment and not a sport, and your first opinion was a better one. NBA might be influenced by judges but written by teams/individuals, WWE is played out by individuals and written by storytellers. We all give importance to sports, teams and entertainment, that is absolutely true. But seeing a jumpshot land in the last second of a game can hardly be compared to a choke or a tapout in wrestling. It is a matter of perception, and my perception is that the winner almost always is obvious.
It's athletic, takes skill, and people get hurt. But it's scripted, and the results are typically pre-determined. But the thing is, WWE is so fast paced (business wise) these days that they'll tell two guys having a match who wins, but other than that it's all winging it. It's up to one or both to call the match as it goes.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having a discussion, it is actually refreshing on these boards.
Agreed.

Last edited by The Diplomat; 04-07-2014 at 03:42 PM.
The Diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #105
Bokelj

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diplomat View Post
Oh, there's skill involved. It's more akin to athletic theatre. Most popular wrestlers work 300+ days a year, taking bumps and working through injuries. Ontop of the physical aspect, they have to promote their product and get the fans to invest into it. It's not an easy job.
I do believe they are physical specimen. Look at a freak like Brock, and even undertaker with 50 years. These are 265lb guys doing supplexes and jumping from 10 feet
Quote:

It all depends on what the writers and bookers are thinking at the time. You can usually tell who is getting a "push" by how they treat him on camera, as opposed to good wrestlers who just keep losing week after week.
Thatīs what I meant with you can predict who will win. They keep pulling in the old dogs, probably because the crowd isn't connecting well with the new people. Sounds a bit like the UFC at this time, if you read the boards.

Quote:
The wrestler in we're talking about has been undefeated at this event for the past 20 years, and he's now old and broken and everyone expected him to retire with that "Streak" intact. The Undertaker is a legend in wrestling.
Undertaker is the only wrestler I adored growing up. He is one of the legends from my day like Andre the Giant, Brett Michaels and Hogan. (I know some oldscool stuff)

Quote:

It's athletic, takes skill, and people get hurt. But it's scripted, and the results are typically pre-determined. But the thing is, WWE is so fast paced (business wise) these days that they'll tell two guys having a match who wins, but other than that it's all winging it. It's up to one or both to call the match as it goes.
I'd like it to be more skill oriented in stead of just who has the biggest mouth or the prettiest smile. The sport is losing a lot of younger followers (read that when I looked at the demographics TS was talking about). The sport in Europe has no chance of survival, that is because we like betting and going crazy at live unpredictable matches where the number one seat loses against the number 12 seat

~ Mark Twain
Bokelj is offline   Reply With Quote