Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
gabe1k

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
You can praise Condit and say he fought a smart fight to get a victory, but you are absolutely delusional if you call that fight a war. There is a reason that Nelson/Werdum won FOTN over it despite not being a barnburner either. Condit fought a smart gameplan to get a clear victory in the easiest way possible, but he did not look good in that fight and it definitely wasn't high pace.
I would agree with this. It was a smart fight by Condit. But not a war. However I would add that Condit didn't look good because he fought in a way he's not accustomed to fighting in. But fortunately he's got enough fight smarts to keep his head about him and not be baited into a dog fight.

gabe1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #42
MCS
needle movement expert

Aldo vs KZ - thought KZ would keep coming while Aldo delivers punishment. Instead, lots of measuring, and then some cage clinching...and then an injury.

Cro Cop vs JDS - promising stand-up battle with a contrast in styles. Cro Cop ran.

MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #43
Oblivian
Aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla3232 View Post
Condit looked fine and it wasn't a barn-burner because Nick made it way too easy. Condit was throwing and landing a lot, he just wasn't standing right in front of Nick, so Nick was forced to do nothing but take it and bitch all fight.

Regardless of what you think Condit promised you, he did exactly what he said he'd do. He was throwing, landing good combinations and, to your disappointment I guess, not getting hit very much. If you really think it was a bad fight you can blame Nick and ONLY NICK.
I'm not disputing that Condit didn't do what he needed to do, nor am I saying Nick isn't to blame. Nick is even more to blame than Condit as it didn't even look like he tried once he saw the strategy Condit was taking on. He showed no sense of urgency. The fight wasn't a war or a barnburner, plain and simple.

I pretty much 100% agree with the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1k View Post
I would agree with this. It was a smart fight by Condit. But not a war. However I would add that Condit didn't look good because he fought in a way he's not accustomed to fighting in. But fortunately he's got enough fight smarts to keep his head about him and not be baited into a dog fight.

Oblivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #44
Godzilla3232

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
I'm not disputing that Condit didn't do what he needed to do, nor am I saying Nick isn't to blame. Nick is even more to blame than Condit as it didn't even look like he tried once he saw the strategy Condit was taking on. He showed no sense of urgency. The fight wasn't a war or a barnburner, plain and simple.

I pretty much 100% agree with the quote below:
I guess my main problem is the assumption that Condit promised to fight stupid when he promised a war. Condit was throwing and landing pretty consistently, he was just circling away from Nick while doing it. In my opinion waging a war is activity and offense, not plodding forward with your chin out like a moron.

The fight would've obviously been more exciting if Nick weren't completely inept and helpless, but any perceived betrayal or deception from Condit is just stupid.

Godzilla3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #45
ajwbjj87

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gercmiov View Post
Rashad vs Rampage was another one.
That it was, it wasn't the worst fight ever but highly disappointing due to all the "hype" they put into it

ajwbjj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #46
Vil7

Black Belt

Cain vs. JDS 1 delivered. By air mail.

Vil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #47
Oblivian
Aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla3232 View Post
I guess my main problem is the assumption that Condit promised to fight stupid when he promised a war. Condit was throwing and landing pretty consistently, he was just circling away from Nick while doing it. In my opinion waging a war is activity and offense, not plodding forward with your chin out like a moron.

The fight would've obviously been more exciting if Nick weren't completely inept and helpless, but any perceived betrayal or deception from Condit is just stupid.
I think you are overestimating Condit's output. Most of Condit's striking was leg kicks. According to fightmetric, Diaz actually landed more to the head and more to the body than Condit throughout the fight. Don't misinterpret this to mean that I think Diaz won too as I do not. I just think both of them looked bad in that fight - Nick just looked worse. There weren't really many positives to take away as the fans lost and neither of their stocks went up in my eyes.

Oblivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #48
Denver Dan

Orange Belt

The only way this fight could possibly disappoint is some takedowns.

Robbie has never attempted a submission in his MMA career. (Think about that for a minute, its true)

Matt I don't think has the wrestling to take Robbie down.

Which means there is no way this fight will suck.