Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > The Wasteland

The Wasteland Pro Wrestling, Fantasy Matchups, Rehashed MMA, Chat threads, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #71
mikekoz68

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
If you take the US out of the equation, then yes worldwide, the UFC is way more popular than the NFL, and it could grow to be as big as it the NFL including the US

The USA is only around 6% of the worlds population after all and the NFL has had a long time to grow within that 94% and it hasn't that much. If the UFC were to get just 1 or 2% of the rest of the world watching the UFC, it would surpass the NFL!!

Just 2-3% of the world outside the USA ! Seems doable

GSP has beaten every man he has faced...what other fighter can say that?
mikekoz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #72
VolkHan

Brown Belt

If you take off North America pretty sure MMA is bigger than American Football worldwide, but we're talking about WhoCares vs. WhoCares ...
let say is like MMA has 0.3% of viewers globally in sports and American Football has 0.1%.

Wikipedia outside NA cites Japan, Germany and Switzerland as nations where American Football is diffused, with Japan having 15k competitors and Germany having 45k.

Dunno numbers in MMA, but I think with the lone Brazil they've more than 60k in all the nation.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #73
Rvd Slmr

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDiddymus View Post
MMA isnīt even a pimple on the ass of the NFL in Europe.. 20+ countries with their own leagues etc. Hell the most popular danish NFL broadcast team had 60k+ followers, 99.999999999% of Danes have no friggin clue about Kampmann or let alone MMA
It's big in Germany, Austria and Denmark yes, but that's clearly not the case in other European countries, especially those where rugby is strong. The Wembley rankings are not good indicators, the stadium is probably full of Americans living in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiBX View Post
I don't think it's true that Europe isn't into the NFL though. It is probably growing there faster than MMA is honestly. Individual sports don't sell to the masses quite like team sports do.
I'd be surprised if 1% of the European population could tell you who won the last Superbowl. I'd also be surprised if 1% of the European population could name an active UFC champ.

But, I see more BJJ and MMA gyms opening than US football teams. France biggest newspaper is a sport's newspaper and they made a special issue for MMA, something they have never done with US football. Also you can always find at least two MMA magazines in stores, not counting the more generic martial arts ones, while there is only one magazine about US football and you can't find it everywhere. And that's in a country that bans pure MMA competition.

Rvd Slmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #74
SirDiddymus

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvd Slmr View Post
It's big in Germany, Austria and Denmark yes, but that's clearly not the case in other European countries, especially those where rugby is strong. The Wembley rankings are not good indicators, the stadium is probably full of Americans living in Europe.

I'd be surprised if 1% of the European population could tell you who won the last Superbowl. I'd also be surprised if 1% of the European population could name an active UFC champ.

But, I see more BJJ and MMA gyms opening than US football teams. France biggest newspaper is a sport's newspaper and they made a special issue for MMA, something they have never done with US football. Also you can always find at least two MMA magazines in stores, not counting the more generic martial arts ones, while there is only one magazine about US football and you can't find it everywhere. And that's in a country that bans pure MMA competition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...rican_Football

MMA is not even close to the NFL in europe.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #75
OuchPleaseNooo

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydralisK View Post
I love how people like to pretend nobody outside of America watches football. All 3 Wembley stadium NFL games in 2014 sold out 8 months in advance, lmao.
There are like 100,000 Americans in London alone, not including the rest of the UK so that helps. NFL has grown in the UK for sure, i'm not suggesting that everyone at the Wembley games were Americans but the NFL isn't something that the general public really know or care about.

Peyton Manning could walk around any UK town or city without any hassle but at the same time so could Anderson Silva or GSP.

To be honest i don't see NFL or UFC gaining mainstream popularity in the UK any time soon.

OuchPleaseNooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #76
Rvd Slmr

Brown Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDiddymus View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...rican_Football

MMA is not even close to the NFL in europe.
How is an almost empty wiki page with no numbers proving your point ?

Last edited by Rvd Slmr; 07-14-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Rvd Slmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #77
Redannihilation

Brown Belt

Even here in Australia more people watch the NFL and we've already got Australian football, soccer, rugby union and rugby league. So many people don't even consider MMA to be a sport.

WW: MacDonald, Condit
LW: Pettis, Melendez
FW: Swanson, Edgar, Mendes
BW: Cruz, McDonald
FLW: Johnson, Dodson, McCall
Redannihilation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #78
thechoice2

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjresq View Post
Are you serious the Nfl brings in more revenue than all sports leagues in the world
And they spend it all which makes their profit around 0 or actually negative in some cases. The NFL distributes all of the money to the teams and players. It's a league that isn't designed to make a profit.

thechoice2 is offline   Reply With Quote