Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #241
skombolis

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
The belt is worth millions to a fighter between pay, enforcements, PPV percentages, etc.

This sport is an injury away from no longer being a source of income. It also is their best chance to make as much as they can in a short period of time to hopefully set themselves up to retire after and be financially comfortable. There are no retirement plans or pensions.

I have a feeling if some of the posters were in the same position they would be looking at the situation very different. Your rep among anonymous posters wouldn't be on your radar. Or maybe you would negotiate like Nate Diaz and then sit out all together. I can't wait for this rematch. I will be rooting for Gus. But of course Jones is going to try to get the best deal in the most lucrative market under circumstances most advantageous to him. How stupid would he be not to do that? This could be his last fight ever. That's how they gotta look at it

skombolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #242
ryan3434

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoice2 View Post
How does that benefit Jones? People want to look at what benefits the UFC and that shows reasons for the UFC to make the fight, but how does any of that benefit Jones for him to want to make the fight?
Imo. There should be a give and take in the relationship of fighter and organization. It can't be all about Jones cuz he ain't bigger than the UFC. A healthy UFC is and should be the goal.

ryan3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #243
Malbec

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by J180 View Post
1. There is a thread right on the first page.

2. Jones is correct, the UFC tried to use the media against him to sign on to something they didn't negotiate.
Gustafsson is the number one contender. Jon can fight, retire or relinquish his title to being the undisputed LHW champion. Jon is certainly using the media to get his point across. The guy is on Twitter making sure we all know when he needs his diaper changed. I'm sick of him.

Quote:
Guess you're mad that Jones is not one of the dumb ones that just says "How high", when the ufc says "Jump"
I'm not mad about someone who thinks for themselves. There is nothing wrong with that at all. However, Jon is acting very childish here. His personality comes off very arrogant and immature. I guess that doesn't matter when you can wreck a Bentley.

Quote:
Was patient and got a big fat new contract out of it. The UFC's dumb plan didnt work.
And they had a plan? There is nothing worse than stupid people who think they are intelligent.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #244
Malbec

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbrownhaze View Post
The only people that are mad are haters lol
Using the word "hater" reveals a lot about a person, some of which I think they would not want others to know.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #245
Stuhby

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutepoint View Post
Poor guy, feel awful for him...

Ill hazard to guess he wouldn't be this apposed to this had the fight been against someone else...

Quite a champ, no one can doubt his skills, but i dont know i have ever heard a man in his position complain so much about his job while raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Im just kinda bored of it now...every champ has a legacy, and im not sure what his will be; he will definitely be remembered as one of the greats, but he is just SO lame...he comes off so entitled...like the UFC owes him something...

Just be a champion, fight and beat whomever they put in front of you, show the world you are the hype that you drivel out in every interview, a confident man shouldn't need all this prodding...
You know that he's not calling these journalists, right? You know he's pretty much the most talked about champion in the UFC right now, so everyone wants to talk -to- him, right? It's weird hearing everyone on this forum telling him to "shut up and fight", when he's just answering questions. He could say no to all press, but then he'd be a Diaz and would still get shat on.

He also shows himself to be that hype every time he fights. In fact, there was only one time he was in a close fight - and that guy is getting a rematch because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3434 View Post
Imo. There should be a give and take in the relationship of fighter and organization. It can't be all about Jones cuz he ain't bigger than the UFC. A healthy UFC is and should be the goal.
Except the UFC "letting Jones be the Champion" is not give.

Stuhby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #246
sportkillergreg

Purple Belt