Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
Rebel_LioN

Brown Belt

vCash: 500
Tiago dos Santos e Silva VS Arreola

This guy basically has every single common Brazilian name you can have packed into one. All he's missing is Oliveira.

Here's his picture:

Fighting Akbarh Arreola this weekend, a 31 year old mexican MMA veteran since 2002.

Rebel_LioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Hans Gercmiov

Silver Belt

vCash: 191
Was hoping for an e-suicide thread.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
coldtruth

Orange Belt

The Mexican Muslim "Allahu" Akbarh Arreola will sneak through Trator's guard like it was the American border and detonate bombs.

coldtruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Farbeyondthesun

Purple Belt

Farbeyondthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
Kumason
MMA freak!

vCash: 6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gercmiov View Post
Was hoping for an e-suicide thread.
I was hoping for something even more crazy...like a breakdown of this fight or some good conversation about it, but nope just some stupid shit about his name.I will be studying footage of these two today to get a better idea of the fight.I have seen Arreola fight a few times and Santos in Jungle Fight.I don't think Arreola has the brightest future in the UFC after watching him get beat up by Juan Manuel Puig but the reality is they need Mexican fighters so he should get some extra leverage with that.

For the fans that actually expected something decent out of this thread when they saw it...here's a little help from our friends at BloodyElbow

Who is Tiago dos Santos?

Tiago "Trator" as he is also known, is a 27-year old Brazilian lightweight formerly of the Marajo Brothers Gym under the guidance of Iuri and Ildemar Alcantara, but currently training out of Team Nogueira. The current Jungle Fight lightweight champion will be making his way to the UFC with an 18-4-2 (1 NC) record fought mostly on the Brazilian regional scene. In a world where more and more fighters are coming to the big show with heavily padded records, it's important to note that Trator's is neck deep in quality. The fact that thirteen of his eighteen wins are by way of stoppage suggests that he is very seriously a fighter to watch.

What you should expect:

Probably his biggest talent to date is his consistent creation of offense. Trator has some solid technique, especially with his kicking game, which he often leads with, but at heart he's a bit of a brawler with a strong chin and a good gas tank. He's obviously done quite a bit of Muay Thai training and it shows in his footwork, as he tends to check kicks coming into range, and has the steady gate of a Thai boxer. It appears, somewhat similarly to Matt Brown, that where dos Santos really does his best work is in the clinch where he can work knees and short punches, along with a decent trip and drag takedown game.

What really lacks is his range defense, he tends to come in on straight lines behind big looping strikes. His sprawl game is decent, but it does make me wonder how much of that is due to inferior competion. He's also not particularly heavy on top when grappling, or active off his back. He's a solid fighter, from a decent camp with a lot of experience, and I expect him to do well early in his UFC career. But, he'll have to evolve to win further down the line.

Who is Akbarh Arreola?

With a record of 22-7, Akbarh Arreola is without a doubt, one of the most experienced lightweights on the Mexican regional scene. With a career stretching all the way back to 2002, Arreola will enter the UFC on a three fight win streak. The 31-year old trains out of Entram Gym alongside Antonio Duarte, Gabriel Benitez, and Enrique Briones. He has decent wins over fighters like Alejandro Solano Rodriguez, Gabe Ruediger, andHajime Ohara. And his losses have almost entirely been to strong competition, including Mac Danzig, TOby Imada, and Brent Weedman.

What you should expect:

Fighting out of the southpaw stance, Arreola likes to lead combiantions from the outside with rear leg kicks to the body and legs of his opponent, often following up with punches. He will occasionally throw one off power strikes as well, but tends to be a kick first fighter. He throws with power and accuracy enough to make this workable, often, but his lack of variety is a little troubling. For good measure, Arreola does show signs of a bit of offensive wrestling, but doesn't seem to have much of a top control game, using it instead, to keep opponents off balance. He does tend to back straight out when exchanging letting himself be easily swarmed by active strikers and wrestlers, and his takedown defense isn't terribly active. He scrambles well and creates decent submission offense off his back, but it's not a great thing to have to rely on.

What this means for their debut:

This is a pretty terrible fight for Arreola. Against less technical opponents he's been able to work a decent bottom game and some range striking to get stoppages, but dos Santos is hardly green to grappling exchanges and is a much more aggressive and active striker, the kind that tends to give Arreola fits. Given that "Trator" is in pretty excellent shape and has a very solid clinch game, I'm not sure there are many areas he can be competitive in this fight. Arreola has gotten TKO'd by a few of the higher level opponents he's faced, and I'd expect that to be the result here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbeyondthesun View Post
Chris' big head How many time's have we made him or Friday night's Liam McGeary in a video game hahaha

Kumason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Philanidas619

White Belt

He looks like the Mexican gang leader that raped Sean Penn's girl in Bad Boys.

Philanidas619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Chad The Limey
Guyball world champion belt

Akbarh Arreola

Isn't that the technical name for the dark skin around the nipple? Niiiice.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
The_Renaissance

Gold Belt

This is the token 'filler' fight on the prelims between two newcomers, neither of whom will get beyond FightPass prelims level in the UFC.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I can't see it happening.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Lito Lapida

Brown Belt

nipple

Lito Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote