Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #91
Kinku

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelions View Post
Do people still not understand he is a promoter and part of his job is to build up fighters and events, even more so when they suck?
Sherdogs like to complain than understanding someone role in the company.

Kinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #92
theycallitMurda

Black Belt

I only really like Ronda's fights. The rest are pretty shit if I'm being honest.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #93
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 1500
I've watched a fair amount of WMMA in the UFC and I can't pretend to have any reason to remember more than about 5-6 of them that didn't involve Ronda.

Miesha vs. Cat was a good fight and epic finish. Leslie Smith vs. Jessamyn Duke was awesome for clear reasons. I thoroughly enjoyed Lahdemaki vs. Gadelha a few weeks back, as well (first fight in the women's strawweight division).

That's really all that comes to mind.

2-0 in sig bets
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #94
MigitAs

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessCritic View Post
Update for 2014:

There have been 12 women's fights this year. Zero have won fight of the night. Rousey is the only

one to pick up bonuses.

imo, the only remotely good fights on that list were davis/eye, and gadelha/lahdemaki. The rest were just straight up bad fights.
You really know your shit man, not just critical for the sake of it.

MigitAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #95
skombolis

Brown Belt

It's like he isn't even attempting to be credible anymore. Obviously anyone can check the bonuses and see that statement isn't true. Guess he is trying to hype it to the casuals that haven't seen the fights yet because anyone who has would know despite a few entertaining ones almost none have risen to the level of post fight bonuses. Yeah he is a promoter but that doesn't mean lie thru your teeth about facts

skombolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #96
Wiz

White Belt

Women's Bantamweight is the men's Heavyweight... (Without the KOs)

Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #97
styopa

Purple Belt

So, FOTN?

styopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #98
Marbig

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Women's Bantamweight is the men's Heavyweight... (Without the KOs)
This^. How many 150-160 in shape women do you see walking around?

I have yet to see a complaint about the 115'ers.

Marbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #99
rslayer

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbig View Post
This^. How many 150-160 in shape women do you see walking around?

I have yet to see a complaint about the 115'ers.
Depends on height. At 5'10+ that's a fairly normal weight. Of course most women are shorter than that. At say 5'5 which is pretty average for women, I'd say maybe 120-130 is the average weight. People don't realize that a lot of these girls are big, like Gina was I think 5'8 or so. Erin Toughill I think was 5'10? A lot of the female MMA fighters are above average in size for females. Same as the male fighters actually. The average dude on the street is maybe 5'10 160 lbs, but you see casual male fans always say that is a very small fighter. It's kind of funny though when you just hold people to their own size.

Anyway as to Dana, he really has no compunction saying anything and contradicting himself. He hated women's MMA when it was in Strikeforce and EliteXC, and would mock it constantly. Now it's in the UFC and he promotes it. He's a promoter, you can't really take what he says seriously.

I guess he wants to be controversial and bring attention to the UFC in any way possible, so he does manage it.

I wish he'd just renege on some of the other stuff he's said in the past. Would it be so hard to admit, now that it's far in the past, that Pride's HW was leagues ahead of UFC's back then? That Fedor is an all time great? I mean the UFC owns all the tape library now, Pride is long since dead, why not just promote that stuff too, the way he's promoting women's MMA after trashing it before? I would really like to see Fedor get some of his due in the UFC just once out of Dana's mouth. Maybe he's already said it and I missed it, in which case if anyone can link me I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

rslayer is offline   Reply With Quote